Thread: The tackling ability of Allen has really helped

Threads : 131

Default The tackling ability of Allen has really helped

If we are healthy and we have Ben's controlled passing attack, his abiliity to extend plays just a little and with our RB stable I think we can beat just about anyone if we use long sustained drives which rests our D. I really think that Allen at safety has made a big difference in our tackling ability he is just so much better than Monday. I (gulp) hesitate to even say this but it seems like and I'm sure this is open for debate that I wonder if we really need Troy to be put back in there? It seems like with Troy we take too many chances with our D and often we are out of position. I'm not sure how we've done it but having a CB deep and running clark underneath really shut down the ravens' WR's. Maybe that is just cause Pinta (TE) went down early with injury. Thoughs?

Lets see on our Winning streak that was we have faced several teams with only 1 big #1 WR threat cincy (Green), Skins(garcon foot out), Giants (nicks hurt), Chiefs (.seems like baldwin got hurt early too..so only Bowe left), and then ravens whom we shut down. So maybe my theory is not good if we play a team with 2 decent WR's...Dallas, SD come to mind looking at our remaining schedule.

Threads : 54

Default Re: The tackling ability of Allen has really helped

If it's not broke don't fix it. I'm happy with the play of Allen and I understand the team trying to see if Mundy ( a younger guy ) could eventually handle the job when, they had him in there for Troy.
    The answer is obvious, Mundy isn't the guy. Too bad Allen is in his 9th season because I would feel real comfortable him being the replacement at safety.

Unless Troy is 100% healed and at his 100% playing capacity, let him sit the bench. With all the cap issues we are facing and for the poor health Troy is having or injuries that he continues to have, the team should thank him for his years of service and give him his walking papers after the season. Or unless he wants to play for the league minimum. What we see of Troy and his injuries, will just be more of the same and a lot more often.
    Hidden Content Steelers, Six Super Bowl Wins and No Cheating !

Threads : 131

Yep I agree Fezziwig good points indeed.

Threads : 2

On Troy's long-term status.....

I would like to see him jump from player to Asst. Secondary Coach after this season.....Yeah, I know I'm being a bit premature on that, but he's smart enough to know that his playing days are probably behind him considering all the nagging injuries and inability to recover quickly. I know that's also just a fan talking, but I really feel he's smart enough to transfer his on-field knowledge to the clip board & headset.....He's already doing a lot of coaching on the sidelines if you watch him with the other secondary players. I think he would be a great asset to Coach LeBeau and the team......Keep him in the Burgh.

Threads : 54

I hear you Cordini. I often wonder if the truly gifted players make the best coaches or not. Too many of them with talent or level of play came natural.....not to say they didn't need to learn or progress but the physical stuff was there already.
    You get an average player that is playing beyond his talent because he has football smarts, desire and is a student of the game, I sometimes think they are the better canidate. In any event, I doubt Tolim will be making him a coach. I'm sure Troy is the type of guy with, when it's over, it's over and it's now family time.
    Hidden Content Steelers, Six Super Bowl Wins and No Cheating !

Threads : 355

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear you Cordini. I often wonder if the truly gifted players make the best coaches or not. Too many of them with talent or level of play came natural.....not to say they didn't need to learn or progress but the physical stuff was there already.
    You get an average player that is playing beyond his talent because he has football smarts, desire and is a student of the game, I sometimes think they are the better canidate. In any event, I doubt Tolim will be making him a coach. I'm sure Troy is the type of guy with, when it's over, it's over and it's now family time.
    I agree. I'm not sure that he would make a good coach. His ability on the field comes naturally and I don't know if you can teach that. I still want to see him get healthy and play a few more years. Don't know what the stats are but I'd bet our turnover numbers are in large part to him NOT being in the game.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 179
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Will Allen has really stepped up far surpassing my expectations. Him and Clark have made a pretty good team back there to protect the deep middle of the field. They way he has performed has taken the sting out of Troy being out.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Will Allen has really stepped up far surpassing my expectations. Him and Clark have made a pretty good team back there to protect the deep middle of the field. They way he has performed has taken the sting out of Troy being out.
    This comment in the Trib might delay that thinking.

There’s no debating that veteran safety Will Allen has played well in the absence of Troy Polamalu, but Sunday wasn’t one of those games. Allen dropped an easy interception down the field a minute into the game and was the main culprit in the Browns’ first touchdown — Jordan Cameron’s 5-yard catch on a third-and-goal early in the second quarter. Allen was playing press coverage on Jordan, who was in the slot to the left. Allen missed the jam and let Jordan get to his outside shoulder. Larry Foote’s responsibility was inside so that he was unable to get to Cameron coming from across the formation. Allen allowed all three passes thrown his way to be completed and missed three tackles.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2DQnOUNgq
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Threads : 179
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Cleveland game was bad for everybody. More an anomaly than anything else.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    The Cleveland game was bad for everybody. More an anomaly than anything else.
    That's 3 anomalies this season and almost a 4th (KC). Unfortunately that defines a team and this one is not so good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information