Nov-25-2012, 07:43 PM #1Status :Rank : The EliteJoin Date : Oct 11, 2009Location : You need a ****ing canoe to get to it.Posts : 3,102Threads : 137Last Online : Jan-22-2014 @ 04:02 AM
At least the anxiety comes to an end.
1) My jury has finally voted on the Tomlin case - he's out of his league as a head coach. Hired (and extended) to satisfy the Rooney Rule, nothing more. He has a strong history of being a lousy gameday decision maker, players are not prepared and I've asked this question dozens of times - how does he make this team better? After getting the usual "he's won 2 Superbowls" standard answer, I then ask how he's made the team better again and never get a good answer. 8 turnovers? Against the stains? And the penalties? That's not a player execution issue, it's a coaching issue.
When you inherit a Porsche you're going to have a Porsche for a while and unless you take care of it, it's going to turn into a piece of ****. Hard to look bad when you inherit a Superbowl caliber team but one can only fake it for so long even when it's been handed to him.
2) Time for scorched earth tactics. Troy should have never been extended - I said as much at the time of the contract signing. Thanks for the memories Troy - HOF player no doubt. Time for pasture, and take Hampton (and his salary) with you. Keisel shouldn't be too far behind.
3) We still have a gold mine with Ben. Probably for another maybe 10 years if he stays healthy and motivated, great. After that, nada. I used to think we had the best QB backup squad in the league - and I think we did for a while there, but Batch is only on the team at this point because of injuries and should already be retired. Not knocking the guy, but his NFL days are over. What was it that our great leader said about backup players - "the game plan doesn't change because of personnel changes"? Right - running the ball (ineffectively) on third and 4 tells me all I need to know about Tomlin's rhetoric. Byron is made out of eggshells, time to get him gone.
4) How many passes is Wallace going to drop? Think he'll ask for those big bucks again when his contract is up?
5) Heath Miller should get Wallace's money.
6) Mendenhall is consuming salary that we should be paying a productive player.
7) On the bright side now, not all negative - and mark your calendar, I'm excited about this O-line. Really am. Adams is a fence post and D-linemen run around (or over) him, but he's a rookie being put in a tough spot. I'm not giving up on the guy and next year there our 1st round pick will be in the mix. And they're playing very well, I'm encouraged.
8) Our pass rush is non-existent. Not sure if it's because of strategy or execution - or both. Actually I blame it on execution.
9) Last week we were the #2 defense, this week (according to the ****** announcer guys), we're the #1 defense in the league. Yeah... I can name 10 other defenses that I would rather have at this juncture. Stats lie.
10) So we fire the special teams coach because of some internal schism thingy and his absence is noted.
11) Arians can make whatever "thanks for firing me" statements he wants, glad he's gone.
12) Season over. Ben should not take another snap this year. Change diapers and stay in shape.
13) So let's talk draft needs. DL, RB, QB - in that order.
That is all - hope the NHL strike ends soon.Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway
Nov-25-2012, 08:39 PM #2
Status :Rank : LegendJoin Date : Oct 12, 2009Location : Wheatfield, IndianaPosts : 15,845Threads : 172Last Online : Apr-07-2014 @ 09:19 PM
Re: Game thoughts
Injuries have killed this team this year and it points out some cold hard facts:
1. Our backup QB's are woefully inadequate. Both of them should be playing their final season in Pittsburgh.
2. Fumblehall shouldn't be back next season. Dwyer and Redman have shown they can carry the load.
3. Wallace's effort shows he is still pouting about not getting his long term deal and doesn't deserve one in Pittsburgh.
4. That the offense totally goes to hell without Ben in there. As valuable as he is, the Steelers need to be thinking about drafting his replacement very soon. These last two games are a preview of life after Ben and they are totally unprepared for it at this moment. He sure makes a lot of people look good, coaching staff and players alike.Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads
Nov-26-2012, 12:23 AM #3Status :Rank : All-StarJoin Date : Oct 11, 2009Location : Lakewood, OhioPosts : 2,051Threads : 20Last Online : Apr-14-2014 @ 06:28 PM
Re: Game thoughts
Chuck, I'll address your points one at a time. But, overall, I mostly like what you are saying here.
Last edited by buckeyehoppy; Nov-26-2012 at 12:34 AM.buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!
Nov-26-2012, 12:56 AM #4Status :Rank : All-StarJoin Date : Oct 11, 2009Location : Lakewood, OhioPosts : 2,051Threads : 20Last Online : Apr-14-2014 @ 06:28 PM
Re: Game thoughts
SR, like I did with Chuck's analysis, I'll address your points one at a time:
buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!
Nov-26-2012, 09:19 AM #5Status :Rank : All-StarJoin Date : Nov 2, 2009Posts : 2,270Threads : 150Last Online : Mar-18-2014 @ 04:30 PM
Re: Game thoughtsThat said, I don't have to watch a game to know that 8 turnovers (really? 8?) is the product of poor discipline, lousy execution and excuse making, all of which are immediate red flag coaching issues. We will find out really soon whether Mr. Tomlin can recover this season or whether he has a winless train wreck on his hands the reminder of the season.
Now we can pin some personnel issues (the treatment of the rb's and the bad personnel decisions of the backup qb situation as two glaring examples) moreso on the staff. We can also partially pin the team always losing to bad teams on the staff (a lot of that goes onto the players for their effort too), but not turnovers.
Tomlin looks bad right now, but let's be honest, what coach in the NFL does well when down to their 3rd string QB and has as many injuries as we have?
Call them excuses if you want, but they're legit reasons for our poor play.
Nov-28-2012, 10:14 PM #6Status :Rank : All-StarJoin Date : Oct 11, 2009Location : Lakewood, OhioPosts : 2,051Threads : 20Last Online : Apr-14-2014 @ 06:28 PM
Re: Game thoughts
OTOH, VI, it can also be argued that the way the situation was handled in the heat of the moment led to the flat out disaster, so I can give you that.
Now that Dewey has been named starter for this week, I'll be very curious to see if they run Hoyer with the first O. FWIW, he's the 2d stringer (whether Charlie likes it or not) the rest of the way, so if Ben's not there he'll be going. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't starting the game Sunday. He actually wasn't that bad in the limited chances he had behind Tom Brady in NE, so I'm hopeful he can add a little extra spark to the O this Sunday.buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)