Thread: Game thoughts

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Game thoughts

At least the anxiety comes to an end.

1) My jury has finally voted on the Tomlin case - he's out of his league as a head coach. Hired (and extended) to satisfy the Rooney Rule, nothing more. He has a strong history of being a lousy gameday decision maker, players are not prepared and I've asked this question dozens of times - how does he make this team better? After getting the usual "he's won 2 Superbowls" standard answer, I then ask how he's made the team better again and never get a good answer. 8 turnovers? Against the stains? And the penalties? That's not a player execution issue, it's a coaching issue.

When you inherit a Porsche you're going to have a Porsche for a while and unless you take care of it, it's going to turn into a piece of ****. Hard to look bad when you inherit a Superbowl caliber team but one can only fake it for so long even when it's been handed to him.

2) Time for scorched earth tactics. Troy should have never been extended - I said as much at the time of the contract signing. Thanks for the memories Troy - HOF player no doubt. Time for pasture, and take Hampton (and his salary) with you. Keisel shouldn't be too far behind.

3) We still have a gold mine with Ben. Probably for another maybe 10 years if he stays healthy and motivated, great. After that, nada. I used to think we had the best QB backup squad in the league - and I think we did for a while there, but Batch is only on the team at this point because of injuries and should already be retired. Not knocking the guy, but his NFL days are over. What was it that our great leader said about backup players - "the game plan doesn't change because of personnel changes"? Right - running the ball (ineffectively) on third and 4 tells me all I need to know about Tomlin's rhetoric. Byron is made out of eggshells, time to get him gone.

4) How many passes is Wallace going to drop? Think he'll ask for those big bucks again when his contract is up?

5) Heath Miller should get Wallace's money.

6) Mendenhall is consuming salary that we should be paying a productive player.

7) On the bright side now, not all negative - and mark your calendar, I'm excited about this O-line. Really am. Adams is a fence post and D-linemen run around (or over) him, but he's a rookie being put in a tough spot. I'm not giving up on the guy and next year there our 1st round pick will be in the mix. And they're playing very well, I'm encouraged.

8) Our pass rush is non-existent. Not sure if it's because of strategy or execution - or both. Actually I blame it on execution.

9) Last week we were the #2 defense, this week (according to the ****** announcer guys), we're the #1 defense in the league. Yeah... I can name 10 other defenses that I would rather have at this juncture. Stats lie.

10) So we fire the special teams coach because of some internal schism thingy and his absence is noted.

11) Arians can make whatever "thanks for firing me" statements he wants, glad he's gone.

12) Season over. Ben should not take another snap this year. Change diapers and stay in shape.

13) So let's talk draft needs. DL, RB, QB - in that order.

That is all - hope the NHL strike ends soon.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Threads : 182
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Game thoughts

Injuries have killed this team this year and it points out some cold hard facts:
    1. Our backup QB's are woefully inadequate. Both of them should be playing their final season in Pittsburgh.
    2. Fumblehall shouldn't be back next season. Dwyer and Redman have shown they can carry the load.
    3. Wallace's effort shows he is still pouting about not getting his long term deal and doesn't deserve one in Pittsburgh.
    4. That the offense totally goes to hell without Ben in there. As valuable as he is, the Steelers need to be thinking about drafting his replacement very soon. These last two games are a preview of life after Ben and they are totally unprepared for it at this moment. He sure makes a lot of people look good, coaching staff and players alike.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chuck, I'll address your points one at a time. But, overall, I mostly like what you are saying here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At least the anxiety comes to an end.
    I must say that I'm glad I didn't see this game. Furthermore, we should have lost by 66, not the 6 we did. It is doubtful it's because we are that good that the score was that close in the end. It's more likely that it was a case of the blind squirrels (the Browns) finding an acorn (a win).

1) My jury has finally voted on the Tomlin case - he's out of his league as a head coach. Hired (and extended) to satisfy the Rooney Rule, nothing more. He has a strong history of being a lousy gameday decision maker, players are not prepared and I've asked this question dozens of times - how does he make this team better? After getting the usual "he's won 2 Superbowls" standard answer, I then ask how he's made the team better again and never get a good answer. 8 turnovers? Against the stains? And the penalties? That's not a player execution issue, it's a coaching issue.

When you inherit a Porsche you're going to have a Porsche for a while and unless you take care of it, it's going to turn into a piece of ****. Hard to look bad when you inherit a Superbowl caliber team but one can only fake it for so long even when it's been handed to him.
    FTR, he's only gotten to two SBs, winning one, with mostly Cowher's personnel. It's not really the "Steeler Way" to throw a coach under the bus. That said, I don't have to watch a game to know that 8 turnovers (really? 8?) is the product of poor discipline, lousy execution and excuse making, all of which are immediate red flag coaching issues. We will find out really soon whether Mr. Tomlin can recover this season or whether he has a winless train wreck on his hands the reminder of the season.

2) Time for scorched earth tactics. Troy should have never been extended - I said as much at the time of the contract signing. Thanks for the memories Troy - HOF player no doubt. Time for pasture, and take Hampton (and his salary) with you. Keisel shouldn't be too far behind.
    Told a friend I was texting during the game that the Steelers look like a very old team, all of a sudden, and that any young players we have added to pick up the slack have largely failed to do so. At some point, Colbert and the Brain Fart Trust need to answer a few questions about not only the draft failures, but the errors of commission that come with not cutting the cord soon enough on players who might be past their prime. My guess is that the $$$ spent on Troy, Snacky and Da Beard will be more adequately spent on young players who have shown their worth and the isolated FA pickup of a player in his prime that will do wonders to augment a good situation.

3) We still have a gold mine with Ben. Probably for another maybe 10 years if he stays healthy and motivated, great. After that, nada. I used to think we had the best QB backup squad in the league - and I think we did for a while there, but Batch is only on the team at this point because of injuries and should already be retired. Not knocking the guy, but his NFL days are over. What was it that our great leader said about backup players - "the game plan doesn't change because of personnel changes"? Right - running the ball (ineffectively) on third and 4 tells me all I need to know about Tomlin's rhetoric. Byron is made out of eggshells, time to get him gone.
    Chuck, really? 10 years? REALLY? That is an alarming statement on its face, especially considering Ben's injury history, abuse he has taken and the fact that he really doesn't have a backup anymore. Couldn't agree more on what you said about Charlie and Lefty. But no matter what anyone believes here, Ben's heir apparent better already be on this team if he will be extended two years from now. Next season will be his 10th in the league. Does anyone honestly believe he will be the same QB in five years that he is now? I only suspected that it might not be such a bad idea to draft a QB on the first two days of the draft last year. I now suspect that it will be a bad idea if we don't draft one before the Saturday session next year, because we need a #2 QB right now and the draft is the most logical route to go unless you want to overpay for Ben's backup.

4) How many passes is Wallace going to drop? Think he'll ask for those big bucks again when his contract is up?
    Why should we answer this question when it will be just as easy to let him walk? WRs are a dime a dozen (there, I said it!). Either a WR can play or he can't. If this is Wally's way to make a statement to the brass, then he can be resolute in the knowledge that he has already signed his last Steelers contract!

5) Heath Miller should get Wallace's money.
    WORD!

6) Mendenhall is consuming salary that we should be paying a productive player.
    WORD! And Mendy is one vagina sprain away from the pasture anyway!

7) On the bright side now, not all negative - and mark your calendar, I'm excited about this O-line. Really am. Adams is a fence post and D-linemen run around (or over) him, but he's a rookie being put in a tough spot. I'm not giving up on the guy and next year there our 1st round pick will be in the mix. And they're playing very well, I'm encouraged.
    I am only cautiously optimistic about this team's OLine. With our injury track record in this unit (which, BTW, occupies 18% of our game day active roster) we will need not only the best starters we can assemble, those players will need strong and versatile backups when the need arises (and it WILL arise). DDC and Mikey will also need some coaching up. Mikey was the same fence post in college as he is showing now. He will need to be much better at moving his feet or we will have Fatt Maxx Junior on our hands in a hurry instead of a future repeat Pro Bowler.

8) Our pass rush is non-existent. Not sure if it's because of strategy or execution - or both. Actually I blame it on execution.
    Is it possible that the Brain Fart Trust swung and missed twice in the first round with Ziggy and Ironhead Junior? It's hard to tell, since they haven't been entrusted with a great deal of work. But would it really be shocking to anyone if the reason they aren't in is because they simply haven't played as well as the guys in front of them? Food for thought, and potentially hard to swallow at that.

9) Last week we were the #2 defense, this week (according to the ****** announcer guys), we're the #1 defense in the league. Yeah... I can name 10 other defenses that I would rather have at this juncture. Stats lie.
    This is why ****** nozzle announcers usually get no more attention than my next sip of beer or its inevitable result an hour or two later. Stats only tell the truth when they are commensurate with the team's W-L record. A team with a 6-5 record only has the best defense on paper!

10) So we fire the special teams coach because of some internal schism thingy and his absence is noted.
    The quality of your special teams goes a long way toward a team's W-L record. If your record is 6-5, what does that say about your special teams? Jus' askin'...

11) Arians can make whatever "thanks for firing me" statements he wants, glad he's gone.
    And does Mr. Haley really have the personnel he wants to make his offense work? And Chuck, note Statement #3 and how that might eventually relate to Ben's future as a Steeler. Again, food for thought.

12) Season over. Ben should not take another snap this year. Change diapers and stay in shape.
    There is a very good chance that the season has collapsed. After Baltimore, a likely loss, at this point, we don't play a quality opponent the rest of the way. That said, this team has an annoying tendency to play down to the level of their competition (another failure of coaching, perhaps?). If that's the case, this could be a very long and very cold December!

13) So let's talk draft needs. DL, RB, QB - in that order.
    Really, we should be looking at ILB, FS, SS and CB as well. FWIW, the Steelers are very likely to go BPA in Round 1 looking at the D (and they WILL be drafting to the D in the 1st Round this year, thank you) since the need as pretty obvious in multiple areas on this D. RB? Dime a dozen. I say that Dewey has already proven himself to be up to the task of being starting RB. Start Dewey. Let Rainey be his backup. Then, either draft a RB in the 4th to 6th Round area or pickup a FA out of the NFL bargain bin to keep Dewey and Rainey honest.

That is all - hope the NHL strike ends soon.
    Thanks, Chuck! Great analysis and food for thought, as usual. The NHL? Why are they doing this again?
    Last edited by buckeyehoppy; Nov-26-2012 at 01:34 AM.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

SR, like I did with Chuck's analysis, I'll address your points one at a time:

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    1. Our backup QB's are woefully inadequate. Both of them should be playing their final season in Pittsburgh.
    WORD! Charlie, seriously, should have been launched two years ago. If they were just keeping him around as a warm body emergency/assistant QB coach, they should have just done him a favor and made him QB coach and told him his playing days were over. If either Lefty or Charlie are on the roster on draft day, that will be an epic fail by the FO!

2. Fumblehall shouldn't be back next season. Dwyer and Redman have shown they can carry the load.
    As I said to Chuck, Mendy is a vagina sprain away from being taken out back and shot. Screw him and his body made of Waterford crystal. Screw Red, too. The times I have seen him this season have shown me that he is scared ****less of NFL contact. Dewey doesn't have that problem and Rainey can prolly be counted on as a hybrid in Haley's O. A third RB can be added at the top of the Saturday session or with an agile FA acquisition, ala the Mewelde Moore pickup a while back.

3. Wallace's effort shows he is still pouting about not getting his long term deal and doesn't deserve one in Pittsburgh.
    See my response to Chuck's points #4 and #5. Wally can suck a bagga dicks if he thinks he's worthy of another Steelers contract. His star has fallen from the stratosphere this season. He's damaged goods!

4. That the offense totally goes to hell without Ben in there. As valuable as he is, the Steelers need to be thinking about drafting his replacement very soon. These last two games are a preview of life after Ben and they are totally unprepared for it at this moment. He sure makes a lot of people look good, coaching staff and players alike.
    Ben's a likable guy on this team for obvious reasons. That said, if anyone really believes he will be the same QB in 5 years that he is now, then the "peace pipe" needs to get passed. Ben will be a decidedly old 35 by then. His style of play suggests that his star might have already risen and five more years of that might be all we get, if we are lucky. It is in the Steelers best interests to have his heir apparent in the fold before his next contract is signed.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That said, I don't have to watch a game to know that 8 turnovers (really? 8?) is the product of poor discipline, lousy execution and excuse making, all of which are immediate red flag coaching issues. We will find out really soon whether Mr. Tomlin can recover this season or whether he has a winless train wreck on his hands the reminder of the season.
    I'm sorry, but I cannot pin fumbles and int's on the coaching staff. That's all on the players messing up, not the coaches. I mean it's not like the coaches aren't telling the guys to take better care of the ball or anything.

Now we can pin some personnel issues (the treatment of the rb's and the bad personnel decisions of the backup qb situation as two glaring examples) moreso on the staff. We can also partially pin the team always losing to bad teams on the staff (a lot of that goes onto the players for their effort too), but not turnovers.

Tomlin looks bad right now, but let's be honest, what coach in the NFL does well when down to their 3rd string QB and has as many injuries as we have?

Call them excuses if you want, but they're legit reasons for our poor play.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot pin fumbles and int's on the coaching staff. That's all on the players messing up, not the coaches. I mean it's not like the coaches aren't telling the guys to take better care of the ball or anything.

Now we can pin some personnel issues (the treatment of the rb's and the bad personnel decisions of the backup qb situation as two glaring examples) moreso on the staff. We can also partially pin the team always losing to bad teams on the staff (a lot of that goes onto the players for their effort too), but not turnovers.

Tomlin looks bad right now, but let's be honest, what coach in the NFL does well when down to their 3rd string QB and has as many injuries as we have?

Call them excuses if you want, but they're legit reasons for our poor play.
    I can pin all the mistakes on the coaching when the execution (or lack of it) is that obvious. Injuries are the only thing that gives coaching a complete pass and we've had our share.

OTOH, VI, it can also be argued that the way the situation was handled in the heat of the moment led to the flat out disaster, so I can give you that.

Now that Dewey has been named starter for this week, I'll be very curious to see if they run Hoyer with the first O. FWIW, he's the 2d stringer (whether Charlie likes it or not) the rest of the way, so if Ben's not there he'll be going. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't starting the game Sunday. He actually wasn't that bad in the limited chances he had behind Tom Brady in NE, so I'm hopeful he can add a little extra spark to the O this Sunday.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information