Thread: Bucs interested in Russell Martin?

Threads : 31

Default Bucs interested in Russell Martin?

From mlbtraderumors.com
    Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Pirates might be willing to offer Russell Martin a three-year deal in the range of $25 million.
    The belief is that the Yankees are only willing to offer two years, so the Pirates may come in with the top bid. Martin likes New York and he would have the best chance to win there, so it's possible he could stick around if the Yankees add an option year or bump up his annual salary. The Rangers and Mariners have also been mentioned as possible suitors for Martin, but it appears that the decision will come down to the Pirates and Yankees. The 29-year-old backstop will likely make his choice in the next several days, possibly before the Winter Meetings begin next week.
    Source: CBSSports.com
    Nov 28 - 8:52 AM

Wow, just wow. This guy seems to be in a career batting average/OBP death spiral since 2007. To offer him this much money? I'd rather bring in a scrub for a one year deal and go with the Fort hoping Sanchez puts it together finally at Indy.
    Last edited by Shaker100; Nov-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bucs interested in Rusell Martin?

I think I read Martin wants a 4 year, $40 million deal (basically $10M/year. Yanks are offering a 2 year deal (unknown amount) and the Pirates are rumored to be offering a 3year/$25M deal (app. $8.3M/year).

His drop in batting average I think has more to do with him being traded from the NL West to the AL East. While with the Dodgers (5 years) he hit for an average of .270. I assume he was injured after the all start break in 2010, because he has very little stats for the second half of the season. His HR, OPS and SLG numbers increased when he was with the Yankees. His K numbers increased as his power numbers increased. Not sure if he is going into to a BA spiral more so than he is becoming more of a power hitter.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with the Buccos, but he is liked in NY and he likes NY which means if the yanks can make a comparable offer, I think he'll stay with the yanks.

Threads : 25
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, just wow. This guy seems to be in a career batting average/OBP death spiral since 2007. To offer him this much money? I'd rather bring in a scrub for a one year deal and go with the Fort hoping Sanchez puts it together finally at Indy.
    Agreed. Plus he has missed time here and there over the last 2 years with a sore back. Just a few games sprinkled around...BUT....

I don't want him. Not that I don't like him. I just don't want him now. If they are going to spend the $$$ then sign somebody else or TRADE some prospects and get a guy who is under contract and pay his salary.
    Last edited by ShayP; Nov-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Threads : 1744
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's expensive but he's younger, has the potential for an improvement with his BA and is above average defensively and calls a good game. Those last 2 things outweigh his batting average IMO. The reality is that Fort is a backup. He had a couple of Fluke months in 2012 that boosted his production but he's really nothing mroe than a backup. The Pirates need a short term solution at catcher until Tony Sanchez is ready.

What's nice about Martin is that he could be good trade material as well. He's yopung enough, there'd be years of control (when Sanchez is ready for the promotion) so this makes sense from that perspective as well.

I've got no problem with going after Russell martin
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Since Hiroki Kuroda signed up for another tour in the Bronx last week, the hot stove season has heated up quite rapidly for the Yankees. Yesterday we learned that the Yankees expect to have deals in place with Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera sooner rather than later, and today Jon Heyman reports that a decision from Russell Martin may be coming this week as well, and that Martin is likely to choose between the Yankees and the Pittsburgh Pirates.

On the whole, four teams are interested in Martin at the moment: the Yankees, Pirates, Mariners, and Rangers, and Heyman characterizes Pittsburgh as making a “spirited effort” to land the Yankees’ starting catcher. Heyman speculates that Pittsburgh may make the high offer for Martin somewhere in the three year, $25 million range, which is both at the low end of the speculated range for Martin’s contract that’s been batted around recently, and easily less than what Martin is reportedly seeking. Heyman also reports that the Yankees haven’t approached that figure in their offers yet.

I know that a lot of fans are down on Martin after he hit .211 in 2012, and spent a hefty chunk of the season below the Mendoza line, but all the same I think he’s largely being undervalued by those who’d rather see him elsewhere next season. For one thing, while his offensive line wasn’t much to write home about on the surface, his 95 wRC+ was average for an American League catcher, and he’s a superb defender behind the plate. Given the scarcity of quality backstops around the league and the fact that catcher is clearly a premium defensive position, I don’t have any problem paying an average hitting, run saving player to man that spot. It would be one thing if the Yankees had solid alternatives, but they certainly don’t have any of those in house at the moment, and it seems unlikely that they would sign A.J. Pierzynski or make any major effort to acquire a viable starting catcher in a trade.

In other words, which of these scenarios makes you cringe more: Russell Martin signing a 3 year, $25-30 million contract, or Francisco Cervelli and Eli Whiteside competing for the starting catcher job when Spring Training comes around?

------------------

Also consider that the Yankees and Rangers are in on wanting Martin as well. Both were playoff teams last year so Martin can't be "that" bad and has to have value if 2 playoff teams want him. For the Pirates he's viewed as "pricey" for sure. $8-$9 million per year is a lot but on a short term contract it's not that bad. Consider that we [paid Kevin Correia $4 million per year on a 2 year contract. Erik Bedard made around that or mroe on a 1 year contract. This is a 3 year with strong potential trading ability

Threads : 114
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bucs interested in Russell Martin?

I like Martin. He's an upgrade offensively and defensively over Rod.
    A three year deal for 25 million. Is fine with me.
    Change of leagues, I think we see him back around .270. Even if he hits .250, that's a huge improvement from the position last season.
    And yes, he's still gonna bring something in a trade at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information