Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clarks Says That Fans And Team Are A Spolied Bunch

Threads : 1739
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ryan Clarks Says That Fans And Team Are A Spolied Bunch

Ryan Clark: Pittsburgh Steelers a 'spoiled bunch'
    By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer
    Published: Nov. 27, 2012 at 09:21 a.m. Updated: Nov. 27, 2012 at 09:51 a.m.

This is a problem most teams around the NFL would love to have.

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark had to respond to widespread panic after a 20-14 loss to the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. The Steelers are 6-5 and would be the second wild card if the playoffs began today.

"You lose one game in Pittsburgh and the sky is falling, it's just part of the culture," Clark told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "It's part of winning six Super Bowls, it's part of being 12-4 three of the last four years. We're a spoiled bunch and overall we've become entitled. But you can't be entitled, you can't walk into places and just think because you're the Pittsburgh Steelers you're going to win.

"We need to execute and we haven't been executing. Do we need to win next week? Without a doubt. We could have needed to win next week had we won this game."

Execution becomes that much more important when you're down a Super Bowl-winning quarterback and a former defensive player of the year. Not sure you're allowed to panic when the team is playing without Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu and Antonio Brown. LaMarr Woodley, Mike Adams and Willie Colon all left Sunday's loss with injuries. The Steelers were down to Charlie Batch under center with Byron Leftwich out.

Sometimes injuries derail a season and the Steelers haven't been truly healthy all year long. The bottom line: the Steelers are not championship contenders without Roethlisberger.

Follow Kareem Copeland on Twitter @kareemcopeland.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-spoiled-bunch
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 179
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ryan Clarks Says That Fans And Team Are A Spolied Bunch

Wow, he said something that needed to be said and I wonder if he's gonna catch any backlash. We have been spoiled for 40 years and instead of feeling entitled we need to learn to appreciate what we have been privileged to experience. Imagine if we had to go though what Steelers fans experienced the first 40 years. Message boards would be suicide support groups
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 58

You lose one game in Pittsburgh and the sky is falling
    He does have a point. We lose a preseason game with our 3rd stringers and some are ready to hunt down Tomlin, fire Colbert, execute Goodell mafioso-style, level Heinz Field, release half the roster and burn down the Steelers wing in Canton.

it's just part of the culture
    Depending on how far it is taken (see: above examples), I don't feel this is necessarily a bad thing. Would he rather .500 be the pathetically sad fan/team standard going into every season? This isn't Cleveland or Cincinnati when it comes to sports - at least not when it comes to the great game of football.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Nov-30-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Threads : 54

I think in a way it's a good thing that we are spoiled or expect a good football team. First off, the way Ryan has been playing he, deserves the rite to talk.
    Secondly, as admirable it is for fans like Cleveland to back their teams, always sell out a stadium etc, they're fools. Let ownership know you won't be liing their pockets with ticket sales, etc.
    This is just my warped way of seeing things.
    Hidden Content Steelers, Six Super Bowl Wins and No Cheating !

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ok, going on a mini rant.....I’d rather feel like the sky was falling once in awhile than be a fan in a city where they have no sky (i.e. Cleveland). I don’t know if entitled is the right word. I feel lucky having grown up a Steeler fan. I realize as fans our expectations are high, and should be with the talent on this team. If we were only healthy all year…well…… but that’s football. One of my clearest memories (yes, the mind gets a bit foggy these days) of the Steelers of the 70’s was the ’76 season. They started 1 – 4. Talk about the sky falling. Or maybe it was Steeler fans throwin’ themselves off the US Steel building. The Steelers then rattled off 10 wins in a row, 9 regular season games and a divisional playoff game against the colts. Those 10 wins included 5 shutouts and 3 other games where their opponent didn’t score a touchdown. To say they were on a roll is an understatement. It all came crashing down when the Steelers lost the AFC championship game in oakland. Harris and Bleier, were both out with injuries. Gerela was out, too.
    -
    This season, to this point IMO, has been defined by two losses. Not the most recent two, where Ben’s absence obviously played a huge part. But the loss to oakland and the loss to tennessee. We win those two games we’re 8 – 3 with the chance to tie for the division lead this week. In championship seasons you win those games. Not saying we can’t win out and have a shot, but sometimes you have those years.
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, going on a mini rant.....I’d rather feel like the sky was falling once in awhile than be a fan in a city where they have no sky (i.e. Cleveland). I don’t know if entitled is the right word. I feel lucky having grown up a Steeler fan. I realize as fans our expectations are high, and should be with the talent on this team. If we were only healthy all year…well…… but that’s football. One of my clearest memories (yes, the mind gets a bit foggy these days) of the Steelers of the 70’s was the ’76 season. They started 1 – 4. Talk about the sky falling. Or maybe it was Steeler fans throwin’ themselves off the US Steel building. The Steelers then rattled off 10 wins in a row, 9 regular season games and a divisional playoff game against the colts. Those 10 wins included 5 shutouts and 3 other games where their opponent didn’t score a touchdown. To say they were on a roll is an understatement. It all came crashing down when the Steelers lost the AFC championship game in oakland. Harris and Bleier, were both out with injuries. Gerela was out, too.
    -
    This season, to this point IMO, has been defined by two losses. Not the most recent two, where Ben’s absence obviously played a huge part. But the loss to oakland and the loss to tennessee. We win those two games we’re 8 – 3 with the chance to tie for the division lead this week. In championship seasons you win those games. Not saying we can’t win out and have a shot, but sometimes you have those years.

hambert, I don't know that I am complementing you as much because I enjoyed reading your post or, I'm just trying cheap ways to get my post amount up to 2000 so I can be someone on this site. lol

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    hambert, I don't know that I am complementing you as much because I enjoyed reading your post or, I'm just trying cheap ways to get my post amount up to 2000 so I can be someone on this site. lol
    You are someone here fezz.....you are fezziwig...loved by all

Thanks Steelereign lol, your too much ! I've told my wife a few times that, " my headstone is to read, fezziwig, loved by all and p.s. , I told you I was sick. "

My funeral or what have you is not much but, it will put the fun in funeral.
    My buddies have to compete in a contest at my funeral to see who gets to throw my ashes.

They will need to drink boiler makers while singing songs about me ( nice lovable songs ) with my wife being the judge. Also, they will need to tell their best fezziwig story.

The prize is as I said, they get to throw my ashes. This might not sound like much but, I want my ashes thrown on Jennifer Aniston. I prefer her being wet stepping out of the shower so I stick.

Thanks Steelereign lol, your too much ! I've told my wife a few times that, " my headstone is to read, fezziwig, loved by all and p.s. , I told you I was sick. "

My funeral or what have you is not much but, it will put the fun in funeral.
    My buddies have to compete in a contest at my funeral to see who gets to throw my ashes.
    They will need to drink boiler makers while singing songs about me ( nice lovable songs ) with my wife being the judge. Also, they will need to tell their best fezziwig story.

The prize is as I said, they get to throw my ashes. This might not sound like much but, I want my ashes thrown on Jennifer Aniston. I prefer her being wet stepping out of the shower so I stick.
    Wow, you are some piece of work That's a funeral I have to attend

LOL! I'm in the same boat, so thankyou for the complement.......I think.....

I only know you from this forum, and I hope your demise is a long way off....at least a couple of super bowl victories or more.....but if I'm around I'd love an invite to your final party.... in the words SR, "Wow!"
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 284
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We are a spoiled fan base. It's really bad over on Steeler Nation. The sky is falling. I find it ridiculous. I get ****ed, but I know we can bounce back. And even if we don't, it's all part of being a fan. It has no effect on life except for our mood for the week. And it is a HUGE part of my life, but you still have to realize that there is way MORE to life than the Steelers winning.

Threads : 2

Clark is correct in his assessment......Of the team's mentality of thinking they're going to go someplace & beat somebody just because they're the Steelers.

Pre-season, Day #1 Team meeting: You have a target on your back. It doesn't matter when or where, whoever you are going to play wants to beat you worse than almost any other team in the NFL because you're the Steelers and you're hated by others for what the Team has accomplished over its history. Now it's your job to go out and put a bulls-eye on each team because you despise what they represent as a team in the NFL.

We as fans may have become spoiled by the success of the team, but I think it's fair to complain when the team goes out and lays an egg by playing down to the level of the competition. Oakland and Tennessee are the Prime examples this season.....Cleveland was an abomination due to injuries, coaching and personal play. However, the blame for these losses lands directly at the feet of coaching for not having this team focused enough to go out and execute. There's no "killer" mentality, for lack of a better term.....I hate the Patriots because Belichick& Brady plan and execute with total destruction of their opponents as their ultimate goal. I just haven't seen this from our coaching staff or players recently.....Because we're spoiled. The next man up isn't getting the job done because the coaches aren't getting thier jobs done.

Sorry, rant is over......

Quote Originally Posted by cordini View Post
    The next man up isn't getting the job done because the coaches aren't getting thier jobs done.
    The coaches can't put in what God didn't, a certain level of talent. The coaches can coach a player/team to a particular scheme or strategy, then its up to the player/team to execute.

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    The coaches can't put in what God didn't, a certain level of talent. The coaches can coach a player/team to a particular scheme or strategy, then its up to the player/team to execute.

Agreed......

Threads : 14
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    "You lose one game in Pittsburgh and the sky is falling, ..."
    I dunno. Clark might want to recalculate that. According to my best info it's up to 5 loses and counting.

Of course we fans don't like loses. But ugly loses like to Cleveland are even worse. It's absolutely embarrassing.

Sometimes these guys just make the dumbest comments publicly.

Rod Woodson splits town saying Pittsburgh is racist, perhaps forgetting that he's half Caucasian. Then Rod retires and returns with love for the the city of the Gold & Black.

Maybe Clark is angling for Mendenhall's soon to be vacated seat as the team's sage orator, and go-to guy for pithy quotes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information