Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did The Steelers Make A Mistake With Farrior?

Threads : 122

Default Did The Steelers Make A Mistake With Farrior?

Did the Steelers make a mistake by going against their norm of not signing LB over 30 and resigning Farrior? Seems like he has lost a step and we have been getting beat by the underneath passes.

Threads : 12

Default Re: Did The Steelers Make A Mistake With Farrior?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did the Steelers make a mistake by going against their norm of not signing LB over 30 and resigning Farrior? Seems like he has lost a step and we have been getting beat by the underneath passes.
    Yes. He cost the Steelers the first Cincinnati game by missing the 4th down tackle down on the 10 yard line.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as it pains me, Farrior isn't the same player he was.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DBinAL View Post
    Yes. He cost the Steelers the first Cincinnati game by missing the 4th down tackle down on the 10 yard line.

Well, he definitely got beat on that pass to Leonard in that game, but I can't say that he was the single reason that cost us that 1st Cincy game.

Threads : 413

Answer to the question is a simple NO Farrior's play is the least of the defensive worries. Get some some decent secondary play and you don't have to ask Farrior to cover the entire field.

I saw Hampton bounce off a running back last night. 1 play does not define an individual's ability on the field.

Threads : 6

Farrior is the unsung defensive leader. The mistake was not resigning him but how he is being used. He should not be covering HB's in the pass game anymore, let Timmons and his speed do that and allow James to do what he does best stop the run and plug up holes.

I do think they should have grabbed a MLB early in the draft though to groom for his replacement in a year or two. Ziggy is a quality DE but in my opinion was not a first rounder and could of been had in the second. That USC MLB the Bungals took, Rey Maluaga (spelling), was my choice. Him, Timmons, Woodley and Harrison would make for a very talented and young (for the most part) LB corps.
    Last edited by steelerguy26; Nov-30-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Threads : 60

Farrior is one of my favorite players and he has lost a step. If we are going to blame Farrior we also have to point fingers at the secondary.
    The thing is this, we should have had a replacement already on this team for Farrior, his position is that important.
    They need to get youth in there while Farrior can still be around to teach. With everyone going to the 3/4 defense, guys like Hampton and Steed are no longer around to pick when it comes to quality.

Farrior
    Townsend
    Hampton
    All need tradedin on a new model but whom ?

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by steelerguy26 View Post
    Farrior is the unsung defensive leader. The mistake was not resigning him but how he is being used. He should not be covering HB's in the pass game anymore, let Timmons and his speed do that and allow James to do what he does best stop the run and plug up holes.

I do think they should have grabbed a MLB early in the draft though to groom for his replacement in a year or two. Ziggy is a quality DE but in my opinion was not a first rounder and could of been had in the second. That USC MLB the Bungals took, Rey Maluaga (spelling), was my choice. Him, Timmons, Woodley and Harrison would make for a very talented and young (for the most part) LB corps.

I second that. I've said it numerous times.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by steelerguy26 View Post

^^^^ This.

Farrior is old, hwe's lost speed but the guy is still one of our best tacklers and a beast in the defensive run stopping game. He lacks the speed to cover running backs or speedy underneath WR's in the pass game and LeBeau has to make that adjustment. Timmons has the speed to do that and should be the guy taking on those responsibilities. Farrior's been burnt this season badly on pass plays but at what point does the coach say "you know what? this isn't working, lets change it up?" Repeating failure over and over again is a sign of insanity. Farrior in coverage is failure and he doesn't need to be in that position

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Farrior still fits this team, but you can't assign him to cover young fast RB's out of the backfield, Timmons needs to draw that chore. If you watch the replay on the 4th down play, Rice goes in motion, Timmons flinches as to go with him then sees Farrior go with him and stops, ..and Timmons ends up covering an older slower TE Heap, which should have been Farrior's draw IMO.

Threads : 23

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Farrior still fits this team, but you can't assign him to cover young fast RB's out of the backfield, [/HIGH-LIGHT]Timmons needs to draw that chore. If you watch the replay on the 4th down play, Rice goes in motion, Timmons flinches as to go with him then sees Farrior go with him and stops, ..and Timmons ends up covering an older slower TE Heap, which should have been Farrior's draw IMO.

Bingo.

Threads : 1

Farrior still fits this team, but you can't assign him to cover young fast RB's out of the backfield, Timmons needs to draw that chore. If you watch the replay on the 4th down play, Rice goes in motion, Timmons flinches as to go with him then sees Farrior go with him and stops, ..and Timmons ends up covering an older slower TE Heap, which should have been Farrior's draw IMO.
    The other chore on that play was to cover Heap; either way, it's not a favorable matchup for the Steelers. Spreading the field against the Steelers will create unfavorable matchups, they need the pass rush to dominate on those particular plays, stay in their rush lanes, collapse the pocket and get their hands up, this will help Farrior out to the degree necessary.

Papillon

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

And shouldn't that fall on LeBeau.I mean,I know the guy can turn water into wine and heal the dying,but when will he start getting called out for having a subpar defense??

Threads : 26

about as much of a mistake as keeping Andy Russell around.

Threads : 122

Seems like Farrior should be playing where Foote held down the fort with run D, and Timmons playing Farriors position which requires more cover skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information