Thread: Clock Management

Threads : 12

Default Clock Management

After the 4th down completion to Rice that he took inside the 10 yard line (Farrior once again gets beat on a 4th down play as in the 1st Cincy loss), the play ended at 3:23 left in the game. The Steelers waited until 2:51 to call their first time out. The Ravens then had 4 downs to 1) score a TD or 2) kick a FG. They did not have to worry about the clock.

First of all, why wasn't a TO called immediately after the play was dead? Then, after the first down run, the second TO is called leaving ~3:15 or so on the clock. After the second down run, call the third TO. That leaves about 3:08 left. The third down incompletion then stops the clock at about 3:00 minutes left. The Ravens kick the FG and the Steelers receive the kickoff with about 2:52 left in the game, no time outs, but have the 2 minute warning as a time out.

This scenario would have given the Steelers an additional minute to go the 40 yards to get in FG position, instead of the 1:51 that was left. Running plays would have been an option.

How hard is it to figure that out? What did they do with the 2 time outs left over - sell them on eBay?

Also, how can all of the officials and the replay booth people not know the rules regarding fumbles in the last 2 minutes of play?

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Clock Management

This has been one glaring weakness of this team for some time. Even as good as Ben is at running the 2-minute offense late in games...there are some SERIOUS clock-management errors.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 183

Default Re: Clock Management

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This has been one glaring weakness of this team for some time. Even as good as Ben is at running the 2-minute offense late in games...there are some SERIOUS clock-management errors.
    Just remember how many times last year we got INT's or TO's to win the game or big game changing plays. No go back and rewatch the game play prior to those plays and you'll find that just all of them occurred directly after somekind of timeout -- conincidence I don't think so...this year it doesn't surprise me that we are not winning the close games -- watch what happens to reed next year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information