Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 2012 Post-Mortem

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers 2012 Post-Mortem

Okay, okay… so there is one game left. That said, the Steelers couldn’t be blamed if they kept mailing it in the way they have since the second Ravens game. All they need now is for the U.S. Postal Service to be the official sponsor of the final game with the Browns.

But what exactly did happen to the 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers?

One thing that was obvious right off the bat was the realization that games the Steelers typically won in years past were games that ended in the loss column this season. This was especially true in the second Bengals game and the Cowboys game, where poor decisions led to game ending turnovers. Those turnovers, in particular, lead to one really nagging question: What was the deal with Ben Roethlisberger?

Until he was injured in the Chiefs game, Ben was on track to have one of his best years ever. Since his return, Ben has shown nothing… absolutely nothing. And the record reflected that, as the Steelers finished 0-3 with two of those losses happening at Heinz Field. A pretty consistent litany of overthrown passes and an offense that was successful only when it seemed it was up to it was the calling card of the Steelers offense in December.

And this leads to yet another nagging question about Ben: with three years left on his deal, how should the Steelers approach him going forward? The past two seasons have been, by Steeler standards, fairly unacceptable. It is evident that the Steeler offense requires a strong leader at QB who can make plays. With particular emphasis on the most recent three games, is it fair to ask whether Ben can be both the strong leader and the play maker the Steelers demand out of their starting QB?

If he can’t, the front office has a fairly tough decision on their hands. Do they use a pick early in the draft on an heir apparent? Or, do they continue to roll the dice on the prospect of their twice Super Bowl winning QB returning to form to lead the team back to the top of the Super Bowl podium, knowing he has limited time left on his current contract to do so?

If they do choose the latter course of action, then how serious can the front office be taken when the need to have a capable backup for their star investment has never been greater. The reality is, Ben is now, officially, on the “wrong side of 30” from here forward. And with his style of play, it is fair to suggest that the Steelers might just be writing checks that Ben Roethlisberger’s body can’t cash. And with Charlie Batch staring a fairly obvious retirement decision in the face, Kevin Colbert and the rest of the Steelers brain trust have a whole host of questions about their most prominent position on the offense.

The tea leaves are saying that the Steelers have no real choice but to either draft a QB with one of the first three picks in the 2013 Draft or play hard for one of the available free agent veterans who will be available this off-season. Either way, the front office must settle on at least one, or possibly, both alternatives before the start of next season. With Ben’s recent injury history, one would think it wise for the Steelers to have a game ready backup who will not look like a deer in headlights the next time Ben goes down.

And make no mistake, Ben will go down again. His style of play all but suggests that it will happen.

What about RB? Presently, the Steelers do not possess a player on their roster who can capably shoulder a reasonable load of the offense to take pressure off the passing game. And the Todd Haley offense, assuming it will ever be given a reasonable chance to succeed, needs to have the run and the pass games working in concert. The current RBs on the roster can be charitably described as players who would be excellent second RBs, getting 10 to 15 touches a game to work most effectively.

Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Rashard Mendenhall all have that 10 to 15 run capability, that is, when they don’t run like they’re about to be slapped in the face by an angry mother-in-law. None of these players runs particularly well between the tackles. And the Steelers run game doesn’t much exist outside the tackles. At least, it didn’t much exist in 2012.

Adding a feature RB to the roster before the start of the 2013 season appears to be a good idea currently. Going into the next campaign expecting Jonathan Dwyer to all of a sudden become a feature back may be asking a bit too much based on what he has shown since becoming the starter.

The current problems on offense have taken a toll on the Steelers in nearly every realm of their game. They have caused the defense to be put on the spot time and again, often times after performing above and beyond the call of duty. And the otherwise inadequate special teams play has been called on time and again when the offense has failed to convert a crucial third down or perform less than optimally in the red zone. A missed field goal by Shawn Suisham today looms large as the possible explanation for loss #8.

The defense has needs, true enough. The middle portion of the defense, from front to back, could stand for some new blood. However, the Steelers defense has performed well for a good portion of the season despite showing some age. Again, getting some new play makers on defense will not be a mistaken choice.

In a positive light, the large question mark at cornerback to start 2012 is considerably smaller with the emergence of Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Josh Victorian. All three still need some seasoning. But the future at that position is less uncertain now than it was at the beginning of the season.

The biggest question facing the defense would be the future of Dick LeBeau. At times, the defense has looked tired, rusty and predictable. The tired and rusty part can be most attributed to needing new players to step up. The predictable part is something the defensive coaches need to explain, and the Dick LeBeau defense we have grown accustomed to might be showing signs that the rest of the league is on to him and that the defensive strategy needs more than just a tweak here and there.

Mostly, the Steelers need to not miss when it comes to players selected to shore up established positions or to replace entrenched stars. One case in point: when Cameron Heyward does get a chance to play, he is typically at least equal to the task and he often exceeds expectations. The 2013 Steelers must find a way to get him in on far more downs than he was involved with in 2012.

Lots more can be said of the 2012 Steelers. Much of it possibly involved newer and more creative uses of off-color language over one or a dozen beers during the game. But this season’s Steelers basically confirmed most of our fears concerning the team coming in.

Many of us expected a whole lot more of this team this season, and we probably should have seen more good. But is it realistic to ask whether the Steelers of 2012 possibly over reached and just got lucky in the games they did win?

What we do know is that the Steelers front office has plenty of work cut out for them in the months ahead and hopefully are already assembling the strategy to return the team back to the playoff mix in 2013.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers 2012 Post-Mortem

Great read Hoppy, all the questions you ask have to be answered by the braintrust and very soon. As I see it, when the season is over the Steelers need to move Hood to replace Hampton and move McClendon to end and start opposite Heyward. McClendon is too small for the nose but quick enough for DE . Now the D-Line is much younger and more athletic.

During the off-Season, the Steelers need to move Timmons back outside to replace Harrison. Timmons and Woodley would be a nightmare for opposing QB's. They both have power and expressiveness. Inside you'd have Foote (maybe), Chris Carter, and Stevenson Sylvester.

In the Secondary, the CB's are Taylor, Allen, Lewis and Brown while the safeties are Troy, Clark, Van Dyke and Sean Spence along with Will Allen. While Spence got hurt playing ILB, he is much better suited to replace Ryan Clark.

Yeah I know I'm not a coach, but these are common sense moves that make the team better with pieces that are already part of the puzzle. I'm going to expand on this in an article in the next day or so, but the fact is that some of the answers are already here.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 689

What about RB? Presently, the Steelers do not possess a player on their roster who can capably shoulder a reasonable load of the offense to take pressure off the passing game. And the Todd Haley offense, assuming it will ever be given a reasonable chance to succeed, needs to have the run and the pass games working in concert. The current RBs on the roster can be charitably described as players who would be excellent second RBs, getting 10 to 15 touches a game to work most effectively.

Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman and Rashard Mendenhall all have that 10 to 15 run capability, that is, when they don’t run like they’re about to be slapped in the face by an angry mother-in-law. None of these players runs particularly well between the tackles. And the Steelers run game doesn’t much exist outside the tackles. At least, it didn’t much exist in 2012.

Adding a feature RB to the roster before the start of the 2013 season appears to be a good idea currently. Going into the next campaign expecting Jonathan Dwyer to all of a sudden become a feature back may be asking a bit too much based on what he has shown since becoming the starter
    The Steelers do need a back because Mendenhall most likely will be gone.while Redman and Dwyer have some good qualities neither can be considered feature backs.
    But to me the Steelers biggest problem in the running game is the [B]WAY they run the ball,like you mentioned,they rarely try to run outside,everything is up the gut because "that's the Steeler way" They are predictable when they run,first 2 series of the game,first series of the second half.....first down run,second down run,3rd and long, pass incomplete, punt. But the biggest problem I see is....I never in my life seen slower developing run plays,every handoff is deep in the back field,the back takes forever to get to the line,partly because he's taking contact before he even reaches the line. That one game where Tomlin went for it on 4th and less than one,I can't remember who got the call,but the handoff was made at least 4 yards deep,at least, and guess what? The play didn't get the half yard needed.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great read Hoppy

Is James Harrison the same impact player? Minus the sack vs. Flacco the answer (4 sacks) is no. Was it injury related or are his best years behind him?

Without Harrison is Woodley more of a Clark Haggans pass rusher? Adequate but not great?

Can Troy be Troy for a full year?

Is Ziggy Hood now a first round bust? Average isn't acceptable for first rounder

The 2009 and 2011 headlined by Heyward and Hood are major question marks, below average drafts. 2008 was a VERY BAD DRAFT. The Steeler way is adding talent through the draft and those three years, 2012 I am withholding judgement, were not good and the Ravens and Bengals and Browns drafted better. But if you are going to build your team through the draft, and not address needs via free agency, then you HAVE TO DRAFT BETTER.

The defense lacks the "Splash" plays, other than Lawrence Timmons who may have played at a Pro bowl level and is entering his prime.

Is the 3-4 becoming vulnerable in the spread it out pass happy NFL? I am not sure but the thought has crossed my mind.

Or...is it all that the turnovers just didn't come because of breaks? Since 2011 the Steelers are 31st in Take away differential or takeaways (not sure which but did here the stat on ESPN the other day).
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 134

To me all of Ben's suddenly unemotional play started when during the KC game when he got hurt and then subsequently when he had his first child. I really do wonder if he has lost his passion for playing hard in the game of NFL football. I also questioned his decision making during the TN game too.

Maybe its his injury or maybe his prospective is now changed. How in the world does Batch lead team beat the ravens and then with Ben we lose 3 straight, Chargers, Boys, bengals. That doesn't sit well with me.

As much as I hate to say it I think its time to get a new QB in Pittsburgh. Draft someone whose got good leadership, a 4 year starter and let him sit a year behind ben and learn and then he'll be ready. THe problem seems to be that this year there may not be that many if any good QB's in the draft.

Now lets also think about some perspective. Can you imagine if you were a colts fan in the SB in 2009 I think it was (calendar 2010) and you lost the SB cause Pierre Garcon dropped a sure long gainer possibly TD in 3rd down in the first half and then you lost the game cause your own QB thru a pic 6 to the other team.

If anyone would have told me that the colts would go the playoffs with a rookie QB and the steelers would not this year I'd have thought you would be crazy, but that is life in the NFL. Often I know I wonder if there are other forces at work. After all the main goal of the NFL is all about making $.

Threads : 89
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

@ Steelreign: Given that Spence was drafted as an LB, would the conversion to a secondary player be problematic?

Hoppy: Great read and your points are well taken. For the draft, I'd probably look for a Running Back for in the first round. Maybe a further OL in the second (Willie "Irritable" Colon should be replaced ASAP. Even though a rookie might get Ben killed, he'd do it without conceding so many penalties, so that would be a positive) and maybe a QB in the third.

The reputation of the QBs in this draft beyond the obvious first couple of picks in Round One is iffy, so this might be the year to start looking for the inevitably required back-up.

Good read, Hoppy and well said.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't think things are as bad as they seem to be fresh off of watching them being eliminated from playoff contention. This is their first non-winning season since 2003 and Tomlin's first. After the reality of it all sinks in it'll be easier to look at the 2012 season with a little more objectivity. Ultimately it was more about turnovers this year than injures that did the Steelers in. They had too many and didn't force nearly enough of them.

Threads : 89
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's also the argument that a non-winning season may lead to a harder scrutiny by the powers-that-be. I'm pretty sure that they don't like it and that it will rankle. The trick then is to not over react.

I'm still puzzled by the O Line. They were doing fairly well for another patchwork year, right up to the point where the "Kugler to leave" rumours started and then they seemed to implode.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 134

Several years ago Idont' think it was last year we gave up a lot of TD on KO and punt returns. I don't think we did that this year.

Positives:

Schizem (sp??) K did great.

I think Rainey is a positive as well.

TImmons and Will Allen (when he filled in at safety good tackler).

Cortez Allen (wow what a difference he makes)

Keenan Lewis played very well and saved several TD's (one @ cincy I remember well).

We were a few plays from being 10-5 but instead we are 7-8.

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ Steelreign: Given that Spence was drafted as an LB, would the conversion to a secondary player be problematic?

Hoppy: Great read and your points are well taken. For the draft, I'd probably look for a Running Back for in the first round. Maybe a further OL in the second (Willie "Irritable" Colon should be replaced ASAP. Even though a rookie might get Ben killed, he'd do it without conceding so many penalties, so that would be a positive) and maybe a QB in the third.

The reputation of the QBs in this draft beyond the obvious first couple of picks in Round One is iffy, so this might be the year to start looking for the inevitably required back-up.

Good read, Hoppy and well said.
    I think with his smaller stature and his speed/athletic ability, he would have little difficulty playing strong safety ala Carnell Lake, who was a Linebacker at UCLA.

Threads : 1739

Hoppy.

a lot of quesitons going forward. I do want to address something you made mention of with something else... The running Back position.

Isaac Redman is garbage. He's only good for short yardage. I like Mendenhall. Best all around back we have but he's injured to often which leaves Dwyer. you say he doesn't run well between the tackles, but i saw a guy run well between tackled when they were healthy. When Willie Colon was healthy and not getting called for penalties, the interior line opened up a lot of holes and Dwyer gained a lot of yardage.

I think the Steelers are fine at RB and I definitely dont want to draft a RB ion the 1st round cause the Steelers have bad luck with that. What the Steelers need is health and experience (DeCastro). I think foster will be over time at LG until something better comes along. DeCastro was drafted as being one of the best pull blocking Guards in the draft. We cant grade him on these few games he's played because he's done so both injured and more inexperienced than most rookies because of the time he did miss. Get Adams/Gilbert back in there at RT and pray that these guys stay healthy and they're going to open holes for anyone. We saw them do that when Dwyer had back to back 100 yard games.

2 weeks ago, i was quesitoning anyone that questioned Ben, now... I think its a serious discussion. to be fair.. I don't think Ben should've been playing these past few weeks. I thibnk he's still injured. I think that his injuries are bothering him more than he is letting on and the results can be seen on the field. His decision making was as bad as I've seen it and that is in contrast to the start of this season when I thought Ben looked as good as I've ever seen him. I think Haley's offense and some health on the line could stretch Ben's career into his 30's. elite QB's are playing into their mid and late 30's at higher levels (Manning, Elway, Montana, Favre) are all guys that played late into their 30's. Elway and Favre took some bodily abuse too. I'm not suggesting we don't look for a replacement for Ben but I don't want them to do so feeling that they have to and draft a QB based on need. That's how you end up with Brandon Weedon and Rick Mirer. If a guy comes along and we love him and have a chance to draft him, then do it, but then again, I think that is obvious when you are drafting BPA
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1739

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    During the off-Season, the Steelers need to move Timmons back outside to replace Harrison. Timmons and Woodley would be a nightmare for opposing QB's. They both have power and expressiveness. Inside you'd have Foote (maybe), Chris Carter, and Stevenson Sylvester.

In the Secondary, the CB's are Taylor, Allen, Lewis and Brown while the safeties are Troy, Clark, Van Dyke and Sean Spence along with Will Allen. While Spence got hurt playing ILB, he is much better suited to replace Ryan Clark.
    Foote and Carter/Sylvester yikes... I'd like to see Foote gone to be honest. He can't tackle. I really don't know that they will move Timmons outside. I wouldn't be opposed to it but I feel like they are priming him to be the mike LB and Foote is the stop gap.

Which brings up Sean Spence. What Spence can do is cover a lot of ground, so he really fits into the mold of a 3-4 ILB and he's a tackling machine. If spence is going to move to Safety which I don't see the Steelers doing, he'll have to lose a ton of weight. He's listed at 231lbs. By comparison, Ryan Clark is listed at 205 lbs and an inch taller.

I think Spence is more important in seeing if he can fill a LB role to be honest. I thought that guys like Will allen did a great job replacing Troy Polamalu so i'm not sure that safety is a pressing need right now. Heck, I thought Cortez allen did a great job replacing Ike Taylor, so you have someone there too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 47

Default Steelers 2012 Post-Mortem

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Foote and Carter/Sylvester yikes... I'd like to see Foote gone to be honest. He can't tackle. I really don't know that they will move Timmons outside. I wouldn't be opposed to it but I feel like they are priming him to be the mike LB and Foote is the stop gap.
    I've always thought that too,but ****,how long does he need to be "primed?"

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Great read Hoppy, all the questions you ask have to be answered by the braintrust and very soon. As I see it, when the season is over the Steelers need to move Hood to replace Hampton and move McClendon to end and start opposite Heyward. McClendon is too small for the nose but quick enough for DE . Now the D-Line is much younger and more athletic.

Yeah I know I'm not a coach, but these are common sense moves that make the team better with pieces that are already part of the puzzle. I'm going to expand on this in an article in the next day or so, but the fact is that some of the answers are already here.
    Feel free to expand on this when you are ready, SR. Hell, if I knew it all, I'd be employed in an NFL FO myself. And the posts have all had plenty of insight so far.

Spence, to me, might need to shed 15 or 20 pounds before he can be legitimately thought of as a safety. And we really haven't seen all of his skill set yet at this level, so it might be a little early to speculate.

Stevie Mac and Heyward must be starters next year. Heyward is a beast and he can pretty much take on anyone he needs to across from him, even if he, too, is a little small for the position. There was a play against Dallas where he single-handedly shredded a double team and disrupted Romo enough that he threw an incomplete pass. But he needs to be in there for those good things to happen and something tells me that there is more to his not being out there than meets the eye.

I'm not nearly as concerned at the end of this season as I was at the start about the D. Yes, I think we might need to account for the possible loss of Jimmy Hate. And I also believe LT is the same type of late-bloomer that Harrison was. We also need to find out if Stevie Sly can man the middle. I suspect he can, but his coaches have not given him much playing time, so no one really knows.

Also, I love how our corners have progressed this season. What was a large point of concern now appears to be an area where a tweak or two will do for next season.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    how long does he need to be "primed?
    Thats what she said....

Just kidding good point
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information