Thread: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over

Threads : 58

Default Wallace's days with Steelers could be over

In what might turn out to be a classic case of foreshadowing, the end of Mike Wallace's fourth season in the NFL could look strangely similar to his fifth -- with him not playing for the Steelers.

Wallace has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns because of a hip/hamstring injury in the loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

That means the pass that was intended for him that was intercepted by Bengals safety Reggie Nelson with 14 seconds remaining might have been his last significant play for the Steelers.

This also will be the first game Wallace has missed in his four years with the Steelers.

"I didn't want to go out like that," Wallace said. "I really wanted to end on a high note. It's unfortunate."

Wallace played this season on a one-year contract worth $2.7 million after failing to agree on a contract extension with the Steelers in the offseason. He held out after the Steelers made the $2.7 million tender and missed all the offseason workouts and training camp.

He will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, meaning he is free to sign with another team

"I don't know, we'll see," Wallace said about the possibility of returning to the Steelers.

"I got big plans, no matter what the situation. I definitely got big plans for myself and my family. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully everything will go in a positive manner."

The Steelers were never confident they could sign Wallace to a contract extension because they believed he wanted too much money. And, after signing Antonio Brown to a six-year, $42.5 million contract when Wallace did not report to training camp, it is unlikely that will change now.

It also is unlikely the Steelers will use a franchise tag on Wallace because that means they would have to pay him between $10 million and $11 million next season.

"I definitely consider [returning]," Wallace said. "It's the team I've been on my whole career. I don't know anything else. I love playing here."

Wallace has looked more like his deep-threat self late in the season, catching 12 passes for 220 yards and two touchdowns in the past three games -- an average of 18.3 yards per catch. Included in those 12 catches were receptions for 40 and 60 yards.

Wallace is tied for the team lead with eight touchdown catches, giving him 32 for his career.

That is more touchdowns than any other Steelers player since 2009 (Rashard Mendenhall has 29).

"It's disappointing," Wallace said. "You always want to be with [your] teammates every single game. It's kind of weird. This is the first game I ever missed since I've been here. It's a little weird for me."
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2GQMTRfd9

Threads : 2

Default Re: Wallace's days with Steelers could be over

.....And he has nobody to blame but himself. Pre-season hold out.....Poor execution of routes......Dropped passes. Sorry Mike, but you're not worthy of the money that Antonio is making and certainly not even close to Fitzgeral figures. Good luck with that new team.....Just don't be surprised when a former teammate lands a bone-jarring hit on you whenever we see you again!

Threads : 24
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't forget to mention the big part he played in many of Ben's interceptions.Wallass would just stand there,immobile,while the db would undercut him and intercept.No coming back to the ball,no drive,no care.Not a team player,all about himself and his big payday.Don't let the door hit you in the ***.

Threads : 5

I don't recall any player putting less effort forth than this guy. Just because he got paid doesn't make him a professional.

Threads : 54

I would like to see him remain a Steeler but, he is not worth the money he was asking. People may not believe this, but the ultimate top dollar isn't everything in life.
    Allow me to quote Sponge Bob, " not all that glitter is gold. "

No matter what the future brings, the Steelers will need to adjust and move forward. Allow me to quote Kelly Bundy,
    " case of rum, case of rum. "
    Hidden Content Steelers, Six Super Bowl Wins and No Cheating !

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to see him remain a Steeler but, he is not worth the money he was asking. People may not believe this, but the ultimate top dollar isn't everything in life.
    Allow me to quote Sponge Bob, " not all that glitters is gold. "

No matter what the future brings, the Steelers will need to adjust and move forward. Allow me to quote Kelly Bundy,
    " case of rum, case of rum. "
    I have a saying that gets used when fans of "other" teams get too snooty: "all that glitters is Black AND Gold!"

Mr. Wallace will wonder what happened after he leaves the friendly confines of Steeler Nation and he thinks he's "the man", when all along he had the help of a lot of other dudes with similar talent surrounding him. Most of the teams he will be talking to don't possess the talent the Steelers do. I wish him luck... he'll need it!
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 182

I wonder what sort of a compensation pick will be awarded if he walks. Surely they will claw back a 3rd round pick at least.
    WATCH GAMES LIVE ON LINKS BELOW

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Threads : 172
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wallace is perfectly suited to be a Raiders WR....they are all speed and no hands. I don't get his attitude at all, he TALKS about wanting to be out there with his teammates and he holds out of training camp. When he is out there he's let them down consistently with dropped balls and a lack of effort when needed the most.

Personally I think he is gonna be disappointed once he hits the open market and ain't getting the money he feels he's worth or the interest from teams that he is anticipating. The Steelers made the right choice by giving the money to Brown, which is what bugged Wallace all season, but hey, Brown earned it with performance and a team first attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 130

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Wallace is perfectly suited to be a Raiders WR....they are all speed and no hands. I don't get his attitude at all, he TALKS about wanting to be out there with his teammates and he holds out of training camp. When he is out there he's let them down consistently with dropped balls and a lack of effort when needed the most.

Personally I think he is gonna be disappointed once he hits the open market and ain't getting the money he feels he's worth or the interest from teams that he is anticipating. The Steelers made the right choice by giving the money to Brown, which is what bugged Wallace all season, but hey, Brown earned it with performance and a team first attitude.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    if MW really turned down 5 yr/50 mil from the steelers I'd be shocked to see him get anything over $25mill from any other team. The guy simply has no great ball skills. all he has is speed.

Threads : 241

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    if MW really turned down 5 yr/50 mil from the steelers I'd be shocked to see him get anything over $25mill from any other team. The guy simply has no great ball skills. all he has is speed.
    I disagree. He will get better offers than that, because of how good he has been in the past. I just feel sorry for the team that signs him.

I'm glad he's leaving. This whole season I have absolutely HATED him. His attitude is that of a Patriots, Raven, or Raider. Fitzgerald money? Please. Larry Fitzgerald is the second best wide receiver in the league, 2nd only to Calvin Johnson. See ya Mike, Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Threads : 172
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see him end up with the Raiders or the Chargers. Raiders like fast guys with no hands and Rivers needs a deep threat decoy.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could see him end up with the Raiders or the Chargers. Raiders like fast guys with no hands and Rivers needs a deep threat decoy.

Good Call

Threads : 20

I can see this scenario playing out either way. It'll be just what he needs to realize he had it very good in Pittsburgh.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 407

We seen what the rest of the league thought about him this year...nobody would touch him for the price they would have to give up....hopefully he saw this too...if he seems like a greedy *****...other teams will see it too....and people like that don't stay in the league long...it's about production...and he hasn't much to stand on last season.

Threads : 339

I have a feeling he realizes he pretty much sucked this year. I wouldn't mind a scenario where he signs a 1 or 2 yr deal with the Steelers in an attempt to up his value. You never know about the stupidity of some of these owners, but I just don't see someone giving him a long-term $50 million+ contract. One thing to keep in mind though is that these contracts aren't binding like they are in baseball and hockey. If he's cut, he's not owed any money, other than a signing bonus maybe.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information