Thread: Stay the Course

Threads : 689

Default Stay the Course

Make no mistake about it,there will be changes in 2013 for the Pittsburgh Steelers,and rightfully so.The organization and fan base will not accept an 8-8 record.
    However, when you look at the moves made on Black Monday,you see alot of the usual suspects, Cleveland,Buffalo,Arizona K.C teams that haven't had much success lately.
    Some of these franchises don't and never will "get it".Knee jerk reactions just don't cut it. In any business you have a solid plan and cooperation between all phases of the organization. I lifted this from N.F.L Com, and it states exactly why I
    expect the Steelers to bounce back strong next season.
    Consider, for instance, the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers. Neither team made the playoffs in 2012, but both will stay the course, solve their problems internally and bounce back next season.

Why is it that the Giants and Steelers have the right infrastructure in place while so many others don't? The answer lies in the lessons learned from losing. Before they became modern success stories, both the Giants and Steelers endured long periods of futility, perennially counted among the ranks of losing teams. But then the Giants hired George Young and the Steelers hired Chuck Noll, both of whom solved their respective organizations' problems and installed a winning infrastructure that both teams still use today. The Giants and Steelers have replaced talented people with talented people since then, but the teams' core approaches haven't changed. Many NFL teams have yet to learn such lessons.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 58

Default Re: Stay the Course

I'm glad we are not managed by the GMs of those organizations or by some of the fans who call in to the local sports shows after we come up short of winning a Super Bowl every year - always quick to call players busts and for coaches to be axed.

With that being said, I'm fully expecting roster changes - roster personnel changes occur at the end of every season and I don't see why this one would be any different. Some people just take it a little too far with the decapitations in my opinion.

There is no doubt though, this team has to change a few things in order to get back on track and I'll leave it up to the folks who keep us competitive on a consistent basis and have brought us two Super Bowls over an 8-year span - unlike myself, they get paid to right the ship and bring hardware to this city.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Jan-01-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Threads : 689

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad we are not managed by the GMs of those organizations or by some of the fans who call in to the local sports shows after we come up short of winning a Super Bowl every year - always quick to call players busts and for coaches to be axed.

With that being said, I'm fully expecting roster changes - roster personnel changes occur at the end of every season and I don't see why this one would be any different. Some people just take it a little too far with the decapitations in my opinion.

There is no doubt though, this team has to change a few things in order to get back on track and I'll leave it up to the folks who keep us competitive on a consistent basis and have brought us two Super Bowls over an 8-year span - unlike myself, they get paid to right the ship and bring hardware to this city.
    You've mirrored my thoughts almost word for word!
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 332
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll say this. Mike Tomlin is not a great coach. I kind of think it is time for a change, and I know I'm not alone on that.

Threads : 114
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Stay the Course

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Pittsburgh Fan View Post
    I'll say this. Mike Tomlin is not a great coach. I kind of think it is time for a change, and I know I'm not alone on that.
    The problem with Tomlin is that he is inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by ManO'Steel View Post
    The problem with Tomlin is that he is inconsistent.
    He doesn't seem to have control over this team, and he had success with Cowher's team, but now?

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bucco Ray, I agree.....The Crazy Message Board Guy (CMBG) are part of the reason I only post so often. There is a lack of rational thinking and I won't debate with someone who can't be logical.

My Rule of thumb is its entertainment, don't get to worked up over any win, don't get too dejected over any loss.

The knee jerk Radio Call In Fan or CMBG I just can't deal with.

The Steelers were 8-8, its considered a bad year, How many teams can say that?

I guarantee that if Mike Tomlin would hit the open market he would be the HOTTEST coaching commodity in the NFL.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    Bucco Ray, I agree.....The Crazy Message Board Guy (CMBG) are part of the reason I only post so often. There is a lack of rational thinking and I won't debate with someone who can't be logical.

My Rule of thumb is its entertainment, don't get to worked up over any win, don't get too dejected over any loss.

The knee jerk Radio Call In Fan or CMBG I just can't deal with.

The Steelers were 8-8, its considered a bad year, How many teams can say that?

I guarantee that if Mike Tomlin would hit the open market he would be the HOTTEST coaching commodity in the NFL.
    It's not a knee-jerk reaction to me. I'm not that guy. Trust me, there are plenty of those people. I personally have never thought of him as a great coach. It seems that the players walk all over him and that the amount of success he has had has been with Bill Cowher's team. Now that he has to start replacing players what will he do? The personnel is changing, will the success?

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Indiana I wasn't implying you were that fan. If you read it that way, I truly apologize.

I respect your point (albeit that we disagree) and would never classify you in that group of fans.

I should have clarified that from the get go.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 47

Default Stay the Course

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Pittsburgh Fan View Post
    It's not a knee-jerk reaction to me. I'm not that guy. Trust me, there are plenty of those people. I personally have never thought of him as a great coach. It seems that the players walk all over him and that the amount of success he has had has been with Bill Cowher's team. Now that he has to start replacing players what will he do? The personnel is changing, will the success?
    If you're gonna throw blame around for the state of the team,then spread the wealth and blame Kevin Colbert as well. He has as much to be held accountable for as Tomlin does.

Threads : 20

on a Post gazette video with Bouchette and Dulac it was noted that 78 starts were missed due to injury.
    That's 22% of the time your team is playing 2nd stringers.That is a lot to overcome.
    Its still hard to believe that if the Steelers had beaten Oakland,Tenn and Cleveland (combined 15-33and lost by 3-3-6)that they would be hosting a playoff game this week!

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    Indiana I wasn't implying you were that fan. If you read it that way, I truly apologize.

I respect your point (albeit that we disagree) and would never classify you in that group of fans.

I should have clarified that from the get go.
    Not at all. I took it that you thought there are too many fans that want to fire there coach for every single loss, no matter the team or situation, and that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    If you're gonna throw blame around for the state of the team,then spread the wealth and blame Kevin Colbert as well. He has as much to be held accountable for as Tomlin does.
    Oh yeah, the drafting has been horrendous.

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In my opinion Tomlin is a good coach. Where I question him is in his wacky decision making at times where it appears to make no sense at all. They appear to be made at the times when the Steelers can least afford to take points off the board, like the fake field goal flip from Butler to Suisham or going for a 53 yard field goal on 4th and 1 1/2 when Suisham's range is two yards less than that, when you have a running game that's getting 4.4 YPC. You don't use trick plays and take unnecessary gambles to make up for lacking talent due to injuries, you use common sense and take what you can get. You game plan to the strength of the talent that is available to you not to cover weaknesses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information