Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Steelers-Ravens thoughts

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lolley: Steelers-Ravens thoughts

Monday, November 30, 2009
    Steelers-Ravens thoughts

If I'm a member of the Baltimore Ravens, I don't know that I'm all that happy after beating the Steelers, 20-17, in overtime at M&T Stadium Sunday.

OK, sure, I'm happy because I got the win, but let's be honest, Pittsburgh was playing its third-string quarterback.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Should you be happy that you had to go to overtime - at home - to get the win against a third-string quarterback who had thrown all of one career pass before Sunday's game?

Baltimore's defense isn't what it once was and we're seeing the decline of Ray Lewis, who doesn't look like the Ray Lewis of old.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

He's still a good player. He's just not a great one any longer.

By the same token,[HIGH-LIGHT] if I'm a member of the Steelers' defense, I'm pretty upset.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Your third-string quarterback got you 17 points on the road, but you allowed Baltimore to convert a third-and-22, albeit in two plays, into a first down to go in for a game-tying field goal.

And the Ravens rolled up 393 yards, including 132 on the ground on 29 carries. That's 4.6 yards per carry, more than a yard per carry more than what the Steelers had been giving up.

While waiting for the bus to take us to M&T Stadium, I noted that the first three players I saw get on the buses were guys who weren't with the team in Kansas City.

And not only were they now on the active roster, they were all dressing. That was a bad sign.

The Steelers broke their string of an NFL-record eight consecutive games with a return touchdown allowed.

They tried to add a punt return to the list - something they had not done this year - but Baltimore's Chris Carr fouled things up by stepping out of bounds on a 34-yard run.

That was the kind of game plan that Steelers fans were used to seeing from the team five or six years ago when Ben Roethlisberger was a rookie.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians called 38 running plays and 26 passes.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Rashard Mendenhall looked very good running against the Ravens and the Steelers appear to have a budding star on their hands at the position.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Though this is not the Baltimore defense of old - as I already noted - Mendenhall ground out 95 yards on 24 carries and looked powerful doing so.

The Steelers' pass rush really had Baltimore quarterback Joe Flacco flustered by the end of that game.

After not getting to him in the first half, the Steelers got home five times in the second half.

Now, about that coverage.

[HIGH-LIGHT] Hines Ward's said he was misquoted when he said the locker room was split 50-50 regarding Roethlisberger not playing.

He then proceeded to talk about how other guys have played with concussions and how it would have been nice to know that Roethlisberger wasn't playing before Saturday.

It will be interesting to see if this effects Ward's relationship with Roethlisberger.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 691

Default Re: Lolley: Steelers-Ravens thoughts

If I'm a member of the Baltimore Ravens, I don't know that I'm all that happy after beating the Steelers, 20-17, in overtime at M&T Stadium Sunday.

OK, sure, I'm happy because I got the win, but let's be honest, Pittsburgh was playing its third-string quarterback.

Should you be happy that you had to go to overtime - at home - to get the win against a third-string quarterback who had thrown all of one career pass before Sunday's game?

Baltimore's defense isn't what it once was and we're seeing the decline of Ray Lewis, who doesn't look like the Ray Lewis of old.

It's pretty up in the air if the Steelers make the playoffs or not,but I can say with almost certainty that the Ravens won't
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hines Ward's said he was misquoted when he said the locker room was split 50-50 regarding Roethlisberger not playing.
    not sure how he was misquoted. we heard the entire thing, there was no mistake with what Ward said

He then proceeded to talk about how other guys have played with concussions and how it would have been nice to know that Roethlisberger wasn't playing before Saturday.
    Well, then Ward should take this up with tomlin since he was the one that told Ben he wasn't playing Saturday, when ben was pleading to allow him to play. Do these ****ers not have cell phones or communicate with each other?? seriously? you find out the day before a game that your starting QB isn't playing, yet you're around him and everyone else and you don't find out that it was the coach that told him not to play? How the **** does that happen? .... Try to go 30 minutes in a workplace and that type of stuff has made it's rounds 3 times

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Should you be happy that you had to go to overtime - at home - to get the win against a third-string quarterback who had thrown all of one career pass before Sunday's game?

Baltimore's defense isn't what it once was and we're seeing the decline of Ray Lewis, who doesn't look like the Ray Lewis of old.

It's pretty up in the air if the Steelers make the playoffs or not,but I can say with almost certainty that the Ravens won't
    Completely agree. I was just talking to NKy and I said that I was personally surprised at how bad Baltimore was/is. that game was that close because Baltimore is that bad. Had Ben been playing and we had a passing game against Baltimore, no doubt we'd have easily beaten them. The O-Line did a great job giving Dixon time, give Ben that sort of time and tell me what happens.

Throw Polamalu into the mix now as well. for some reason the defense is night and day with and without him. I'm just having a tough time getting ****ed about this game at all. I expected us to lose, but never expected it to goto OT.

Threads : 8

I love Hines but he has always had a big mouth. He needs to shut the hell up. You can criticize Roethlisberger for some things, but you can never question his toughness.

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by Medium Ben View Post
    I love Hines but he has always had a big mouth. He needs to shut the hell up. You can criticize Roethlisberger for some things, but you can never question his toughness.
    The guy gets sacked 50 times a season so questioning his toughness is just plain wrong! Sure, some of that is his fault like we always talk about, but he still talks about how good his O Line is despite all of those sacks. There are other QBs (Peyton Manning for example) that would use that as an excuse to throw them under the bus! Someone (Tomlin) needs to sit Hines down and tell him that these things should be handled behind closed doors! If some mediot is interviewing you trying to bait you into some controversial answer to make a story out of it, just don't take the bait. Otherwise, it just makes you look like a complete jackass in the end!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Medium Ben View Post
    Bingo.Does anyone remember what it was that Hines was *****ing about a couple of years ago??It was during the offseason and it was about something really stupid.

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post

Yeah to say he's lost a step is an understatement, but he is wiley and keeps himself in great position to make plays.

Dare I say it, as much as I have loathed him, Ray Lewis should be ranked up there with Butkus, Nitschke, and Lambert. He is the best LB I have seen in my adult life.

Threads : 407

I believe Ward's comments WERE more directed at Mr. T...than so about Ben. I think he was trying to say...what the hell did you practice Ben all week for, letting us believe all was OK?

Now if you are not going to blame Mr. T, then blame Ben. Dixon derserved/needed prep time. Ben had "exercised induced headaches" after Thursday's practice!!!!!!!! DING DING DING

Don't shoot the messenger....for speaking the truth. Plus...if Ben was truly hurting...why dress him as the emergency QB? Would you have played him if the situation came about? Which could have been a real possibility ...if Dixon goes down....are you going to play Falko???? DING DING DING

Threads : 22

How great would it have been to have Ben in the game during the OT--? With that field position !!!?? Game would have been ours. Then again, had Ben started, it doesnt go to OT. We win outright. Ah, to dream.....

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    not sure how he was misquoted. we heard the entire thing, there was no mistake with what Ward said

Well, then Ward should take this up with tomlin since he was the one that told Ben he wasn't playing Saturday, when ben was pleading to allow him to play. Do these ****ers not have cell phones or communicate with each other?? seriously? you find out the day before a game that your starting QB isn't playing, yet you're around him and everyone else and you don't find out that it was the coach that told him not to play? How the **** does that happen? .... Try to go 30 minutes in a workplace and that type of stuff has made it's rounds 3 times
    Any time a celebrity sees the backlash from a stupid comment, they then try and back out of it by saying they were misquoted.

Its like saying 'I apologize beforehand, but.......'. You can then say anything and pretty much be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    How great would it have been to have Ben in the game during the OT--? With that field position !!!?? Game would have been ours. Then again, had Ben started, it doesnt go to OT. We win outright. Ah, to dream.....
    Not sure I agree with that.Ben played 95% of the KC game and look how that turned out.

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure where this guy says that Hines said he was misquoted. I could have swore I heard Hines say that he chose his words poorly and wasnt calling Ben out. Then again I was drinking too that night lol.

Threads : 22

<< Not sure I agree with that.Ben played 95% of the KC game and look how that turned out. >>

Les, the way the Ravs defense played... no way (if healthy) Ben doesnt put up big numbers against them.

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    << Not sure I agree with that.Ben played 95% of the KC game and look how that turned out. >>

Les, the way the Ravs defense played... no way (if healthy) Ben doesnt put up big numbers against them.
    Yeah,but it was STILL the Ravens,man.KC is well,KC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information