Thread: It's A Bizarre Universe. The #NHL Doesn't Suspend Matt Cooke

Threads : 1743
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default It's A Bizarre Universe. The #NHL Doesn't Suspend Matt Cooke

Well, Holy _____!

I thought for sure that the NHL would've suspended Matt Cooke. . He's Matt Cooke. He gets suspended for these things. A Player gets injured and Matt Cooke is in the vicinity, he's likely to be suspended. The NHL decided not to suspend Matt Cooke.

The next thing we figured was sure to happen was Bryan Murray with his masculine speech impediment and brain impediment would whine and cry his way with NHL officials to get Matt Cooke suspended and that didn't happen either ...

As I told Brendan Shanahan this morning, that’s not my job. My job is to worry about the Ottawa Senators. The league, Brendan being the front guy for the league in this case, has to do what they feel is right. They suggest it was a hockey play gone bad. I suggest that Matt Cooke has somewhat of a history and maybe that should be considered as well, but I don’t believe that’s the approach they took. They took it as an individual act…We get no value out of a player being suspended and that’s why I’m not pushing it at all.
    Basically, the NHL ignored Bryan Murray. Possibly because there were too many "S's" when he talked and it annoyed Brandan Shannahan... I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've made fun of Bryan Murray

It's great to see that the NHL didn't just look at the player and make a quick assumption as we all assumed. They actually apparently looked at the tape of the play and determined it was accidental and not intentional. This is good news for Matt Cooke who m,any of us have felt has toned down his play because he's got a target on his back. His physical play has softened because he's more afraid of making a hit and someone getting hurt and he has to face a suspension or fine. To Matt Cooke's credit, he's adjusted his game but it's also neutered it as well. Hopefully this can be seen as a sign by Matt Cooke that the league isn't going to just look at the name and number on the back of a jersey and ignore the video proof and Matt Cooke an work some more of that great physicality back into his game.

For anyone interested in reading further, my friend Stevie over at Hockey And High Heels wrote what I thought was a fantastic Article based on the response from Bryan Murray... so check it out..

http://highheelsandhockey.com/2013/0...erik-karlsson/
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's A Bizarre Universe. The #NHL Doesn't Suspend Matt Cooke

Caps discuss Kevlar socks in wake of injury to Senators’ Erik Karlsson

Posted by Katie Carrera on February 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Senators_Penguins_Hockey_00c7b.jpg

Wednesday night, Ottawa Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson suffered the type of scary fluke injury that all hockey players hope they never have to endure.

Karlsson suffered a 70 percent cut of his left Achilles tendon when Pittsburgh Penguins forward Matt Cooke’s skate inadvertently got caught on the defenseman’s foot while they were battling for the puck along the boards.
    Karlsson, the defending Norris Trophy winner, had surgery Thursday morning and will be out for three to four months according to Senators General Manager Bryan Murray. Cooke did not and will not receive any supplementary discipline for the play, which was deemed accidental.

“It’s unfortunate, I think, and nothing you want to see out there,” said Nicklas Backstrom, who knows Karlsson. “But obviously it happened and I feel sorry for him, I feel bad for him.”

Cuts on players’ legs or arms from skate blades are a common occurrence in the NHL, though, most manage to avoid serious harm. Karlsson’s unfortunate injury may prompt some players to take additional precautions, like using socks reinforced with Kevlar that are cut-resistant.

Among the Capitals, Alex Ovechkin, Eric Fehr and Jay Beagle all use the Kevlar socks.

“I’ve been wearing them for probably three, four years I guess, pretty much when they came out. I feel like they’re a regular sock but they’re more protective, so I don’t see a reason why I wouldn’t wear them,” Fehr said. “Some guys say they don’t like the feel but I don’t notice a difference.”
    Bauer’s Elite Performance Skate Sock, which the company says contains 60 percent Kevlar and protects the entire lower leg. (via Bauer)

The socks don’t protect players completely, but they add another layer of defense. Fehr said he sustained a cut on the back of his knee last year, above where the socks cover, that required stitches.

Matt Hendricks was cut on his right foot, near his ankle, by a goaltender’s skate during his college playing days at St. Cloud State. He doesn’t use Kevlar socks now, but he did change how he suits up for games after the cut. Hendricks now places his shin guard over the tongue of his skate to prevent the possibility of lacerations, he used to push it down making him vulnerable for cuts at the top of his foot.

“I think the scariest part was I’m looking down at my skate and I don’t see anything wrong. And I feel a lot of pain from it, but you can’t see it,” Hendricks said. “It’s not like when you get cut on the face where you can immediately tell that there’s a problem. So that’s scary.”

After seeing what happened to Karlsson, Backstrom said he might consider using the Kevlar socks and he might not be the only NHL player who thinks about such a change.

“I don’t know, maybe I’ll try it,” Backstrom said. “That would be great if you can prevent it.”

Threads : 200
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bullet dodged!

Threads : 59

I have to be completely honest. It looked a little suspicious to me. I'm very surprised he wasn't suspended, and not just because it's Matt Cooke. I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to be completely honest. It looked a little suspicious to me. I'm very surprised he wasn't suspended, and not just because it's Matt Cooke. I hope I'm wrong.
    When you look at it in slow motion it looked more intentional. When it's at game speed you realize that something like that is difficult to be intentional.

Threads : 59

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    When you look at it in slow motion it looked more intentional. When it's at game speed you realize that something like that is difficult to be intentional.
    You're right. That makes me feel a little better. I never had a chance to see it at real speed. (It was in my blind corner.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    You're right. That makes me feel a little better. I never had a chance to see it at real speed. (It was in my blind corner.)
    There was a GIF that circulated afterwards that slowed it down and really made it seem intentionally, so I went and watched it at full speed a few times and if you go and watch a bunch of other hits in that game or any, they are very similar. I questioned at first why Cooke had his skate up when he went in there but then thought about it and players use their skates to dig for pucks on the boards in those instances

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information