Thread: Stay away from Montgomery

Threads : 114
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Stay away from Montgomery

Hey guys. I've been checking out the latest combine/draft news, and I read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...22--ncaaf.html remember when I posted the pic showing the LSU strength and conditioning coach putting him on a list that had players who didn't try hard enough? Well he basically confirmed that himself. During combine interviews, Montgomery said that he took easy games off. I say we shouldn't get a kid like this. He'll never put enough effort into it and will never reach his full potential.

Threads : 689

Default Re: Stay away from Montgomery

Well,he's honest,I'll give him that.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 42
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Whatever. Does it really matter that he took a 49-3 beatdown of Northwestern State last year off? The fact that he performed in the big games is what counts, and is what will translate in the NFL.
    "Fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgements of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether."

Threads : 29
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah it kinda does matter considering that this team likes to play down to competition.

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he took games off playing for free, I'm sure he'll have no problems doing it while getting paid millions. I agree, avoid him like the plague.

Threads : 1742

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whatever. Does it really matter that he took a 49-3 beatdown of Northwestern State last year off? The fact that he performed in the big games is what counts, and is what will translate in the NFL.
    I'm with Byrron on this.

You aren't going to make it to the important games if you "take off" the easy games. Look at how many **** teams the Stee;ers lost to last year. A loss to Tennessee, a loss to Oakland, Cleveland... the difference in not playing the important games.

You need guys that will show up for every game, because they all matter
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2

I'll say one name......Randy Moss. Nobody deserves to be able to take plays off when they're getting paid B-I-G $$ to help their team win.....We don't need guys that are just showing up on Sunday to walk through the motions to get their paycheck. If they aren't going to put the effort into getting the 7th Lombardi, then don't draft them and if they're on the team now, get rid of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm with Byrron on this.

You aren't going to make it to the important games if you "take off" the easy games. Look at how many **** teams the Stee;ers lost to last year. A loss to Tennessee, a loss to Oakland, Cleveland... the difference in not playing the important games.

You're missing the point. The fact that he took a FBS - FCS game off in no way reflects his abilities and certainly is not an indication that he will take games off in the NFL because there are no easy games in the NFL. The Cleveland Browns are not a similar team to Youngstown State. There are 32 teams in the NFL, all of pretty much equal talent. There are 250 teams in Division I football, and it's very unequal even in FBS. When you have a monster like LSU playing a minnow from FCS, 100% effort from blue-chip athletes is not needed, IMO.
    "Fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the judgements of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether."

You're missing the point. The fact that he took a FBS - FCS game off in no way reflects his abilities and certainly is not an indication that he will take games off in the NFL because there are no easy games in the NFL. The Cleveland Browns are not a similar team to Youngstown State. There are 32 teams in the NFL, all of pretty much equal talent. There are 250 teams in Division I football, and it's very unequal even in FBS. When you have a monster like LSU playing a minnow from FCS, 100% effort from blue-chip athletes is not needed, IMO.
    Regarless of who the competition is, maximum effort should always be given. Every game that is played, I expect the Steelers players to put forth the effort like they are playing for the Lombardi Trophy. As long as they are playing down to the level of the competition they will never win another one. They are paid for maximum effort they should give maximum effort, that's how I see it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Regarless of who the competition is, maximum effort should always be given. Every game that is played, I expect the Steelers players to put forth the effort like they are playing for the Lombardi Trophy. As long as they are playing down to the level of the competition they will never win another one. They are paid for maximum effort they should give maximum effort, that's how I see it anyway.
    Right, players are paid to put forth the maximum effort, and Montgomery wasn't. Why should he risk a career-ending injury against North-western State? It's quite a bit different in college than the NFL, which is why this shouldn't be an issue for Montgomery's draft value.

Right, players are paid to put forth the maximum effort, and Montgomery wasn't. Why should he risk a career-ending injury against North-western State? It's quite a bit different in college than the NFL, which is why this shouldn't be an issue for Montgomery's draft value.
    You can have a career ending injury against anyone at anytime, so the effort you give should always be 100%. If they take games off when they're in college looking to go pro, the chances of them being lazy in the Pro's is quite good and I wouldn't want them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm with Byrron on this.

Yep the last thing we need to be doing is questioning another guy's effort. There is already talk of a lack of leadership in the locker room as is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    You can have a career ending injury against anyone at anytime, so the effort you give should always be 100%. If they take games off when they're in college looking to go pro, the chances of them being lazy in the Pro's is quite good and I wouldn't want them.
    Exactly. But it does make you wonder why the coaches put up with it.

Coaches putting up with stuff like that instead of disciplining these players is what perpetuates the prima donna complex that these players have.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information