Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swell - William Gay Supposedly Rejoing The #Steelers

Threads : 689

Unhappy Swell - William Gay Supposedly Rejoing The #Steelers

William Gay rejoining Steelers

March 4, 2013 12:14 am

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It appears that cornerback William Gay will be rejoining the Steelers after spending one season with the Arizona Cardinals.

Gay changed his Twitter account information to label himself a "cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Asked on Twitter by former teammate Ryan Mundy if he was returning, Gay answered, "Yea." He also wrote on Twitter that "I'm glad I didn't' sell my condo in Pittsburgh."

He will be at the Steelers facility on the South Side today.

Jerrold Colton, Gay's agent, said that there is interest in the Steelers but would not say whether Gay has come to contract terms with the team.

With the Steelers possibly set to lose starting cornerback Keenan Lewis as an unrestricted free agent, Gay would give them a veteran presence as a former starter and nickel cornerback. Gay started at left cornerback in 2009, lost his job to Bryant McFadden in 2010 and regained it in 2011.

He signed with Arizona as an unrestricted free agent before the 2012 season, and Lewis took his starting job on the left side.

Gay, 28, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2007.
    Last edited by Kipper; Mar-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 365

Default Gay returning?

William Gay rejoining Steelers

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It appears that cornerback William Gay will be rejoining the Steelers after spending one season with the Arizona Cardinals.

Gay changed his Twitter account information to label himself a "cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Asked on Twitter by former teammate Ryan Mundy if he was returning, Gay answered, "Yea." He also wrote on Twitter that "I'm glad I didn't' sell my condo in Pittsburgh."

He will be at the Steelers facility on the South Side today.

Jerrold Colton, Gay's agent, said that there is interest in the Steelers but would not say whether Gay has come to contract terms with the team.

With the Steelers possibly set to lose starting cornerback Keenan Lewis as an unrestricted free agent, Gay would give them a veteran presence as a former starter and nickel cornerback. Gay started at left cornerback in 2009, lost his job to Bryant McFadden in 2010 and regained it in 2011.

He signed with Arizona as an unrestricted free agent before the 2012 season, and Lewis took his starting job on the left side.

Gay, 28, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2007.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2MZzOnKxY
    Oh God. We've reached and embraced mediocrity. I'm hoping this has as much credibility as the Breaston signing did.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Default Re: Swell

Hey Ex.I posted one the same time you did so I merged them. Hope that's cool?

Default Re: Gay returning?

Thanks for moving. I was writing while you were posting.

I wanted to move mine underyour title,but I kinda ****ed that up.

Default Re: Gay returning?

If this is true,this is no way to make your team younger and better.

Threads : 181
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd have no problem with this if the Steelers were planning to go with Lewis and Allen as starters and they were cutting Taylor loose, but I don't see them doing that. They keep hamstringing themselves with yearly contract restructuring instead of cutting bait with some of these overpaid and underproducing vets. Harrison should not be here this season but he will be.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd have no problem with this if the Steelers were planning to go with Lewis and Allen as starters and they were cutting Taylor loose, but I don't see them doing that. They keep hamstringing themselves with yearly contract restructuring instead of cutting bait with some of these overpaid and underproducing vets. Harrison should not be here this season but he will be.
    YES! this has been a major problem the last 3-4 years. And what William Gay adds I have no clue, even as a Nickle he seems like a downgrade
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 55

I have to question the whole organization. From the coaches to the top with this Gay move.

I always thought the guy stunk at his peak of his career and to bring him back, speaks volumes of the troubles this team has.

They're not selecting the right players.

They're not developing players.

They're not evaluatng players correctly.

And now they're bargain shopping.

First it was Foote, then Randell El, then McFadden and now Gay... Foote wasn't such a bad move but, he showed no improvement for the team. All Foote meant was this, the Steelers allowed that position to fade away because they had no younger player selected or prepared to take over the position. And now your seeing it with Gay.

This team is in trouble when they start turning back to retread players. I never thought Gay was worth the time and effort they spent on him from the start and if he is only a backup and not a starter, I still don't want him. Where now is the youth movement for this team ?

This team is under bad management and get used to 9-7, 8-8 and 7-9 seasons. For you fans that never experienced the 80's Steeler teams, hold on your about to witness it. At that time we at least had a coach in Chuck Noll that could evaluate certains areas of talent but now.............yuk.
    Cowher could evaluate talent and not be lead by his nose. He just wasn't a playoff type coach or couldn't whatever when it counted but at least he had players prepared and the losing in my opinion was being out coached in the playoffs or the fact that Bellicheat cheated us for so many years. And ll other accounts, he had no Super Star QB except for Ben his last three seasons.

Tomlin I believe likes everyone he meets and he'll go into battle with what he has. I don't believe he knows the direction of talent that is required for his team so he listenens to others or he just doesn't have it. Maybe it's on our general manager too or all upon him.
    I used to think he was the cats pajamas but now it's looking more like it was Cowher that should deserve all the praise.

This all coming from a person that was glad to see Cowher go.

Threads : 81
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm a baseball guy first and foremost so my opinion really doesn't hold much weight but I have no problem with this. Best case scenario Lewis resigns and Gay takes the place of the Victorian/King/Van Dyke mess we had occupying the CB depth spot last season. Worst case Lewis leaves and he comes in and competes with a hopefully more motivated Curtis Brown for the nickle role, in which Gay has shown to be at least capable. As long as there is no intention to have him line up outside, barring disaster (multiple CB injuries) of course, I see this just as a move to provide the defense with some depth. With so many other holes there is really no need for the Steelers to spend a pick on CB so this solves the depth issue without causing the use of a pick.

Now I read it's a 3-yr deal. no money announced. 3 YEARS??????? Good Lord.

Cornerback Gay says he's glad to be back with Steelers

By Gerry Dulac and Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Cornerback William Gay spent only one season away from the Steelers, comparing it to going away to college and being homesick. But he said he is glad to be home.

Gay, who played on two Super Bowl teams with the Steelers as a nickel back, signed a three-year deal today to return to the team that drafted him on the fifth round in 2007.

"Soon as it hit the wire that I was released, I got a call from the black and gold," Gay said. "That put a smile on my face -- knowing the team that drafted me wanted me back."

The decision to re-sign Gay, 28, gives the Steelers some veteran presence on the depth chart at cornerback and gives them some security at nickel back if Keenan Lewis is not re-signed in free agency.

"They said come back and let's go, let's compete and win games," Gay said when asked what his role will be in 2013. "That's all I want to do -- run out of that tunnel with [number] 22 on."

Gay isn't the first Steelers cornerback to follow this route.

In 2010, they re-signed Bryant McFadden after he left in free agency to play one season in Arizona.

Curiously, McFadden struggled in his return to the Steelers and was eventually replaced by Gay in the starting lineup.

"I came in to win," Gay said. "Just to be back with your family, the guys you grew up with in this league, that's going to be fun."

The decision to re-sign Gay indicates a concern about the lack of development of cornerback Curtis Brown, a fourth-round pick in 2011 who struggled last season in the nickel defense when Ike Taylor was injured.

Brown was the extra defensive back in sub packages because Cortez Allen moved up to replace Taylor. But Brown would be shifted to the outside in the nickel defense and Allen would move to the slot.

With Gay, the Steelers could keep Allen on the outside and use him in the slot if Lewis does not re-sign.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2MbAitSBf

Threads : 2

So with this deal in place, which direction do you think they go in the draft? OLB & DT? OLB & OL (T)? I'm kinda with BB on this.....Nickle package and depth on the chart with a player that already knows the defense. I know......I used to swear at the TV when he'd get beat on a route, but I think they're preparing just in case they can't resign Lewis (which they absolutely NEED to do).

Quote Originally Posted by cordini View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So with this deal in place, which direction do you think they go in the draft? OLB & DT? OLB & OL (T)? I'm kinda with BB on this.....Nickle package and depth on the chart with a player that already knows the defense. I know......I used to swear at the TV when he'd get beat on a route, but I think they're preparing just in case they can't resign Lewis (which they absolutely NEED to do).
    I would think OLB in the first round,just a guess.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Swell

I rejoiced when Gay was let go. He sucks and absolutely brings NOTHING to the table. I don't get this move or this organization any longer.

What

The

****??????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information