Thread: Roethlisberger to Steelers Was a Match Made in Heaven

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Roethlisberger to Steelers Was a Match Made in Heaven

Ben Roethlisberger to Steelers Was a Match Made in Heaven
    By Kim Lakner on October 14, 2009 766

Enter Ben Roethlisberger, the Findlay, Ohio native and Miami of Ohio football star.

The 6'5", 241-pound quarterback fell to the 11th pick in the 2004 draft after seeing names such as Robert Gallery and Reggie Williams go ahead of him. The Chargers and Giants swapped Eli Manning and Philip Rivers, while the Browns had already signed Jeff Garcia in free agency.

Teams may have been skeptical about Roethlisberger due to his coming from the Mid-American Conference and playing schools such as Akron and Ohio.

However, Roethlisberger was an absolute freak of nature when it came to a kid his size who could maneuver in and out of the pocket as well as he could. It usually took at least two defenders to bring him down. He was also a better passer when he was on the run than when he was a typical drop-back quarterback.

The Steelers knew they needed a quarterback, and Manning and Rivers were already gone. The franchise and fans had suffered through watching quarterbacks such as Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, and Tommy Maddox over the past seven or eight years.

Maddox was a nice story, being a former first round pick of the Broncos and having to settle for the XFL and Arena Football League. However, Maddox was in his early 30s and wasn’t going to be around much longer.

Roethlisberger took over at quarterback in Week Two of 2004 after Maddox was injured against the Baltimore Ravens. He led the Steelers to 14 straight regular season wins and a trip to the AFC Championship game against the Patriots.

Five years later, Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings and is the face of the Pittsburgh Steelers franchise.

That 2004 draft signified the fate of both the Steelers and the Browns. The Steelers got Roethlisberger, and the Browns took Kellen Winslow Jr. out of the University of Miami.

After tearing his knee apart in a 2005 motorcycle accident, Winslow was never the same player he was in college. He played in a Pro Bowl but was a liability as a blocker and often had to push off defenders in order to gain separation. He was traded this past offseason to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for second and fifth round draft picks.

Had the Browns selected Roethlisberger instead of Winslow, he probably would have been a failure, since the Browns never had a dominating defense and had a suspect offensive line and running game.

However, it would have prevented the Steelers from picking him, and they may still have four Super Bowl titles today instead of six.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Jan-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Leading up to that draft, I wanted Rivers all the way. Boy, am I glad I didn't get what I wanted. Although Rivers and Eli have had success, Ben is by far the best of the 3. He is a perfect fit and leader for this team. His comebacks are becoming legendary and NOBODY extends or creates plays like Big Ben...a Steeler for life.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roethlisberger to Steelers Was a Match Made in Heaven

I'll be totally honest...no bandwagoning here...I had Ben on my draft board. No lie.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well at least we know 2 good things that come from Ohio. Ben and Me

"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll be totally honest...no bandwagoning here...I had Ben on my draft board. No lie.
    Me too brother! Man, I was really, really hoping he would fall to us....Sure as ****! I was so ****in happy we snagged him that day, man.

I was sold after watching his last college bowl game I think it was, ****in guy threw for like 600 some yards and 6 or 7 td's. If I remember correctly.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was too young then, but I remember my dad kept talking about wanting to draft Rivers.
    I'm glad we didn't get that piece of ****.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Frostdaddy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was too young then, but I remember my dad kept talking about wanting to draft Rivers.
    I'm glad we didn't get that piece of ****.
    How old are you? I'm pretty young but I remember that!
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information