Thread: Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin
    Thursday, December 3, 2009

On in-game communications, signing QBs off the street

Throughout the 2009 NFL season, Coach Mike Tomlin will provide his insight and observations to Steelers.com on a variety of topics pertaining to the team and the National Football League.

Q. Whatís going on in your headset on a game day?

A. Itís ever-changing. Itís talk about the down, itís quick reflections on what has happened, itís anticipation talk on the flow of the game and what could happen in the next play or the next series. Conversations happen to a bunch of people in instances.

Q. Is there some chain of command, or can everybody get in your ear during a game?

A. I control who I communicate with. I have three lines on my headset Ė offense, defense and kicking. Generally, Iím in fluid communication with the unit thatís on the ball, on get-off downs or anticipation downs, after I get the call of the next play, I may click over and talk to the unit that could potentially take the field. Same thing occurs with regards to the kicking game. On third downs, there could be communication with all three phases in a span of 45 seconds to a minute.

Q. Are you spending more time talking or listening?

A. Iím doing more listening with the units on the field. Iím doing more talking in anticipation talk with the units that arenít on the field.

Q. Letís pretend youíre the coach of a team that loses its top two quarterbacks to injury during a game on a Sunday in mid-November. What do you do?

A. First, you ask yourself, what can this third quarterback perform above the line? What can he do adequately? What is his comfort zone? Once youíve determined what heís capable of running and when, you categorize that information, you put it into situational football and you donít dial those things up on first and second downs. You keep them in your hip pocket for significant downs. Then you play to your strengths, you limit the opportunities, or exposure that guyís going to get to a defense. You run the ball, you play perimeter ball, you get the ball out of his hands quickly. Quick game, pocket movement, wide receiver screens, etc., and you squirrel your nuts for a get-off down or red zone football, so that the limited comfort that he has is used in a significant way.

Q. At no point in that answer did you mention going out and signing a veteran quarterback off the street. Is that not an option?

A. In the short term, no.

Q. What kind of time frame would be required to bring a quarterback in and get him ready to play and turn in an above-the-line performance?

A. It really depends on the guy, the circumstances and how you build a plan around him. A veteran quarterback can learn an offense in a week and perform adequately, I think, particularly if he has starter experience.

Q. You have shown a willingness as a coach to go out and sign people off the street in the middle of a season. Not quarterbacks?

A. This is a unique position, in my opinion the most difficult position to play in all of professional sports. I respect that element of it. Most of the time your answers, or potential answers, are found in-house in regards to that.

http://steelers.com/article/115078/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Tomlin gives a little insight into gamedays there. Seems to be a whole lot going on that he has to process. I thought he gave a pretty interesting answer about not signing QB's off the street. Thanks for posting that.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hearing from Coach Mike Tomlin

Q. Letís pretend youíre the coach of a team that loses its top two quarterbacks to injury during a game on a Sunday in mid-November. What do you do?

A. [HIGH-LIGHT]First, you ask yourself, what can this third quarterback perform above the line? What can he do adequately?[/HIGH-LIGHT] You run the ball, you play perimeter ball, you get the ball out of his hands quickly. [HIGH-LIGHT]Quick game, pocket movement, wide receiver screens, etc., [/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://steelers.com/article/115078/
    1st:
    You realize that your 3rd string quarter back can't throw the ball, he can only run. We had a QB like that named Kordel (remember how that turned out) Then you say "OH ****!!! What was I thinking on draft day??"

2nd: Quick game, pocket movement, wide receiver screens??? Does Arians even know these things exist? You are so busy on the headsets that you haven't watched a single game this guy has called? I think you are both on different pages...HELL, I think you are in different books, or even different libraries!!!

EPIC FAIL!!!! WTF!!!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by kinsar View Post
    1st:
    You realize that your 3rd string quarter back can't throw the ball, he can only run. We had a QB like that named Kordel (remember how that turned out) Then you say "OH ****!!! What was I thinking on draft day??"

2nd: Quick game, pocket movement, wide receiver screens??? Does Arians even know these things exist? You are so busy on the headsets that you haven't watched a single game this guy has called? I think you are both on different pages...HELL, I think you are in different books, or even different libraries!!!

EPIC FAIL!!!! WTF!!!
    Come on,man.DD was throwing the ball very well in the 1st half of the Rats game.2nd half he didn't play so well,but it was his 1st game starting.Cut him some slack.

As far as Arians goes,far be it from me to stick up for the assclown,but he does utilize WR screenes in his play calling.The rest of his gameplan sucks,though.

Threads : 87

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Come on,man.DD was throwing the ball very well in the 1st half of the Rats game.2nd half he didn't play so well,but it was his 1st game starting.Cut him some slack.

As far as Arians goes,far be it from me to stick up for the assclown,[HIGH-LIGHT]but he does utilize WR screenes in his play calling[/HIGH-LIGHT].The rest of his gameplan sucks,though.
    Problem is he uses it so predictably everyone knows its coming.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Found this prediction for the upcoming game on a Cincy website....

Raiders at Steelers- So let me get this straight; the Steelers doctors told ROFLsberger not to play last week and Coach Tomlin told ROFLsberger he wasn't to play last week because of the concussion he suffered the week before, BUT they suited him up anyway and had him active just in case Dennis Dixon were to get injured during the game. Did I get that right? Really? In other words, we're not going to let you play because we don't want to risk your health but we do want you to risk your health if our other quarterback gets knocked out of the game? You'd think that Coach Tomlin would better know how to handle these situations given the time he's spent working with Dr. House.

Pick: Steelers, 31 - 9
    ... While this writer is truly a jagoff, his prediction looks about right to me...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 9

... While this writer is truly a jagoff, his prediction looks about right to me...

Ya, what the hell.
    Hope he's getting royalties each time he uses the term "ROFLlisberger"... there's no other excuse for it. haha

Threads : 10

I so want a playoff game against those twits just so I can go over there and **** all over the place again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information