Thread: What next ?

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What next ?

What could this team actually do to make improvements ? I mean long term and not just for next week.

I believe the youth movement is needed for the defense with Farrior ( pains me to say ) Townsend needs to move on and Hampton won't be as good as he was this year. Hampton wasn't hoirrible this season but, he is'nt what he used to be and you need a young Hampton type to make our defense more productive.

Beside the youth move, they need to replace Taylor, Gay and Clark. Possibly Clark is having an off season but, Gay can't get better quick enough if possible at all and Taylor isn't ever going to be the type of corner that can actually defend his part of the island like needed and will never catch ten interception for the remainder of his career.

Mundy just proved he is worthless too. Knocks out his on player, misses a sure interception that could have won the game. Also he caused a penalty that put the Raiders in front of the endzone.

According to the annoucers, Ben loves Arians and his calls and he claims they think alike. Why would Tomlin want to get away from that ?
    It always or sometimes seems that standing away from the picture allows you to notice more of the artwork. Tomlin needs to stand far enough back and realize, Arian needs to go along with the special teams coach and the players that just don't seem to produce or haven't or never will develope.

High draft pick I welcome right now but, can these guys pick any winners ? They have seemed to do well with Mendenhall.

Default Re: What next ?

That may have been Burnette that missed the interception

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

High draft pick I welcome right now but, can these guys pick any winners ? They have seemed to do well with Mendenhall.

We havenīt seen enough of Ziggy Hood to know about him yet, but the little he has played he has been conspiculously good.
    He seems to read QBīs well, has had a few tipped passes this year. But, itīs too early to tell.
    Mike Wallace is shaping up to be a good pick Iīd say.
    How about that nice block he made for Smokey today, mustīve picked it up from Hines.

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    We havenīt seen enough of Ziggy Hood to know about him yet, but the little he has played he has been conspiculously good.
    He seems to read QBīs well, has had a few tipped passes this year. But, itīs too early to tell.
    Mike Wallace is shaping up to be a good pick Iīd say.
    How about that nice block he made for Smokey today, mustīve picked it up from Hines.

Yep I agree that was really good a great block.

It's something how our team falls apart or improves in sections. We now have a kick returner that can go the distance and the remaining unit looks subpar.

Our offensive line is really showing its worth along with Mendenhall and the receivers but, they can't put up points or enough points.

When I say enough points I'm speaking of our defense. From what was our strength, our crutch our Steeler identity has become our biggest failure it seems.

The guys in the secondary are so out of touch with their personal duties or they just really stink. They seemed lost out there besides the fact they can't man cover.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

we have yet to play as a team.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you will see new faces on the D next year....age is catching up....and also the cap.

One big question is....how much is Troy worth? You have to be on the field to be considered a great player, he seems to be getting the montra of injury prone. I guess playing with reckless abandon can cause that.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Most important part of this discussion is to forget about anything that involves "rebuilding". so basically, if we need Cornerback improvement... You know it's going to take the CB 2 years from when he's drafted to become a starter. So if you think that "drafting" a CB is going to help... sure it will... in 2011 when Ben is 2 years older, other facets of the defense is also older, Hines Ward is now ancient, James Harrison is a nice bit into his 30's etc...

That's why it is important, it's crucial that when you're dealing with a team that has guys like Ben in their prime that all of you other decisions hit or you have a built in backup plan in case they fail...

Granted, the Steelers could always hit the free agent market and find a steal in the CB department, but it's tough.

1. New Special Teams coach.

If nobody knows it by now... I place a great deal of responsibility on coaches To me, a good, and great coach can take average talent or even below average talent and by putting them into good positions on the field, utiklizing their strengths, hiding their weaknesses and putting together good schemes can milk them and get above average performance.

Right now, we've got a Special teams coach who, regardless of the talent with the Coverage unit is getting below average results. I'm sorry, that's not good enough and that's not exceptable. It's not even like Bob Ligashesky has a proven background from prior stops in which we can say "it's the talent". If we had gotten at least average results from the Coverage Teams this year, we'd have a better record.

2. Secondary Help/Fixes.

William Gay obviously stinks. I don't know if Joe Burnett is an answer, he's definitely unproven. Drafting a CB like I mentioned above solves the problem down the line, but this is something that needs fixed and addressed now. This organization and coaching staff needs to actually start realizing that Troy is injury prone and start coming to grips with the reality that he can miss a good numbers of games per year. the defense shouldn't drop off or look as bad as it does without him and it shouldn't get exposed. Troy should be added help, not a crutch for the secondary to lean their weaknesses on.

Gay needs replaced by someone that can both cover and has good instincts. Seeing what's available in Free Agency should be the first option for the present/short term solution to this problem. If that doesn't work, see what Burnett does, but I'm not very sold on a big upgrade there but who knows. Hopefully we'll get to see this Thursday, then again, it's the Browns, so how much good are we going to get against the Browns. My grandmother throws a better sprial than Brady Quinn.

I'd start there. Other solutions such as the aging DL, Farrior etc... are going to have to be future fixes via the draft so we're going to have to likely hold on and hope that they can produce in the short term and stay healthy

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    we have yet to play as a team.
    No we haven't, maybe next year.

It is funny during the game they were talking about the Raiders and were saying that they look great in spurts but they just **** up enough to lose constantly, like give up big plays at the wrong time or not converting short yardage situations. I though they were talking about the Steelers!

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can live with the O...the way it is...for a few more years before worries set in....but D.....is gettin.....old.

Should be some interesting talk about our first round guy this year. We could be picking at a decent spot. A Studly DB or DL would be perfect. Haven't we been saying this for like 5 years now? lol

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I can live with the O...the way it is...for a few more years before worries set in....but D.....is gettin.....old.
    There is a lot to like about the O. They just aren't good enough to totally carry the team yet tho. Maybe next year they will be though? A couple high picks on D and maybe things won't look so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Should be some interesting talk about our first round guy this year. We could be picking at a decent spot. A Studly DB or DL would be perfect. Haven't we been saying this for like 5 years now? lol
    It's been studly OL guy for yearsssssssss on the top of everyone's wishlist. Im with ya on DB and DL

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    There is a lot to like about the O. They just aren't good enough to totally carry the team yet tho. Maybe next year they will be though? A couple high picks on D and maybe things won't look so bad.
    The problem from the O mainly stems from play calling, strategy etc... The talent is there. We've got a nice group of productive Wide Recievers and Limas Sweed We've got one of the best TE's in the game in Heath... Mendenhall has turned into a really good back who is young and going to get better...we've got Ben, Moore is an excellent 3rd down back and the line has gotten better and keeps getting better.

There's not really a hole in the offense anywhere except the playcalling, especially in the red zone where the offense comes to a screaming ****ing halt

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Injuries are what killed the team this year. Polamalu out for a majority of the season = a much much much weaker secondary. Aaron Smith out..although, I got to say the rushing D and the pass rush hasn't been bad.. It's just that there is not any good coverage down field. Look at the ending to the Chiefs games, and the two Bengals games as prime examples of that weakness being exposed.

Offensively, I have no real gripes. Ben has been good for most of the season, and the offensive line this year is gelling well.

The Defense though is getting older, and needs some serious tweaking, especially in the cornerbacks, and we need depth on the line. I like Fox, Hood, and I like Burnett, and I think they will be solid contributors next year.

The key is keeping that Defense healthy though. When Injuries plague this team, it sucks it into a vortex of hell.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information