Thread: The Bright Side

Threads : 49

Default The Bright Side

Let's look at some positives. I know it's pretty hard to right now but I'm going to try.

- There's a good chance there's some coaching changes in the offseason. Hopefully Arians will be gone and Lebeau can ride off into the sunset. Too bad it couldn't be after last year instead of what could potentially be a lost season this year for the legendary coach.

- If the Steelers get eliminated, we'll hopefully get to see younger players like Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Sweed play more... And wonder why these guys weren't seeing the field more earlier in the season. Yes, I said Sweed.

- Ben might break 4,000 yards passing which would be a Steeler record.

- Mendenhall looks like he'll be one of the best RB's in the league for years to come.

- Imagining what this offense could do with a capable OC that maximizes the talent on this team.

- The sky is the future for Timmons. The guy is just so athletically gifted. He has some areas to work on, though.

I really think this team could be something special next year with the proper moves made in the offseason.

I know no one probably wants to hear this stuff after today's loss but I thought I'd try to be a little more optimistic.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Bright Side

Better draft picks too?

Let's get some defensive secondary guys...

Thanks Jerry... you're a good man.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Dec-06-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Threads : 22

And we now have Saturday's AND Sunday's free !!!!!!

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - The sky is the future for Timmons. The guy is just so athletically gifted. He has some areas to work on, though.
    The guy needs someone to teach him how to break down on a tackle and go after a guy under control. How many times does the QB juke him and gets away. But yes I tend to agree his quickness when he's healthy (and he has not been all year cause of his high ankle sprain) is very good.

One point no one has mentioned is that we do not have larry Foote like we did last year. I think having Timmons play every down makes him more tired and that might have some consequences in his pass coverage or the lack thereof.

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    Why? I'll be watching like I always do.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let's look at some positives. I know it's pretty hard to right now but I'm going to try.

- There's a good chance there's some coaching changes in the offseason. Hopefully Arians will be gone

Not unless Ben allows it and I'm afraid to say but Ben LOVES Bruce Arians and that was further confirmed and cemented by Gumble and Dierdork mentioning it during the game today based on responses from Ben. Bruce Arians isn't going to go anywhere. Not as long as Ben keeps putting up these numbers. We could finish 6-10 and it won't make a difference

and Lebeau can ride off into the sunset. Too bad it couldn't be after last year instead of what could potentially be a lost season this year for the legendary coach.

I love LeBeau. I hate what this defense has become this year but for all of the *****ing we're doing on LeBeau right now... When he retires he's going to be replaced by someone that is chosen by a Head coach that hired our Special Teams coach and our Secondary coach.

Be careful... very careful about what you wish for.

- If the Steelers get eliminated, we'll hopefully get to see younger players like Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Sweed play more... And wonder why these guys weren't seeing the field more earlier in the season. Yes, I said Sweed.

Not going to happen because Tomlin is going to do whatever he can to obtain a winning season. He's not going to start playing backups.

Yup... and just like he put up career numbers in 2007, it'll be meaningless statistics, even more meaningless this year since we won't have made the playoffs

- Mendenhall looks like he'll be one of the best RB's in the league for years to come.

Him and the Offensive Line and Mike Wallace are the only bright spots this season. Mendenhall proved himself to be our long term starting rb and is only going to get better and the Offensive Line improved over last year and should continue to improve. Same with Mike Wallace

- Imagining what this offense could do with a capable OC that maximizes the talent on this team.

Imagining that would make women get boners

He's still very raw but is still very young and injury prone. If he can start staying healthy, he's just going to get better

I really think this team could be something special next year with the proper moves made in the offseason.

This team was supposed to be something special this year with all of the starters from last year returning and the improvements we made in the run game etc.. this season. Was not to be. Not really worth predicting next season.

I know no one probably wants to hear this stuff after today's loss but I thought I'd try to be a little more optimistic.

You tried, brotha. that's all that counts

Threads : 22

<< Why? I'll be watching like I always do.
    <<

So will I --- always do--- but wont go crazy every week.

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

- There's a good chance there's some coaching changes in the offseason. Hopefully Arians will be gone and Lebeau can ride off into the sunset. Too bad it couldn't be after last year instead of what could potentially be a lost season this year for the legendary coach.

Love the optimism. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cheers, Jerry! It's gonna take a day or so to get the old blood pressure back to normal but that's the kind of positivism I'll take on board to help.

This year has seen Mendy come up big time (last year was so short for him), Wallace has been pretty impressive and we know that we have a pretty decent reserve QB in waiting with Dixon.

Hood has had a few positive name checks, which is (in my view) good for a rookie who's been plugged into a line at short notice.

I believe that weak links are now pretty well eposed and all that's left is to deal with those issues.

This was not just a trap game, it's been pretty much a trap year, but that can also be used for diagnostics and repairs.

Not drafting at 32 has an up side, but I can live with number 32 in the 2011 draft.

Thanks again, Jerry.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    Hey... Bowl games start in about 12 days.....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

...and also, any of you ****ers that are also Pittsburgh Penguins fans... come join us others in the Pens Tavern here. There's at least one team in town that's not underachieving after winning a championship last season sitting in first place tied with the most points in the league with a 20-9-1 record

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Hey... Bowl games start in about 12 days.....
    When is that show that announces the bowl matchups?
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, bright sides. I'm cool with that, this ain't the end of the world. Not like we're the ****ing stains - beyond hope.

I'm not sure why all of the sudden everyone wants to put Lebeau out to pasture. Last year, fans were lobbying to have Lebeau cryogenically frozen in his DC spot. That sure went by the wayside after less than a year.

Bright sides - Mendy looks like the real deal. Would be nice to get a mid level draft pick for FWP. Wallace looks like the real deal, takes the sour taste of Sweed's failure away. Lots of bright spots on the offense. Line's playing well, Hines also in his advancing years. Smokey is the real deal. Heath - maybe the best TE playing right now.

Defense - not so much. D-backs fell apart. Still think Taylor's a good D-back, but he's the only player out there and he's on an island. D-backs are only as good as their counterparts. Troy - might be his swan song. He's on the lam more often than he's on the field. Happens to some players and unfortunately for us, Troy is our injury basket case. He's getting up in years also, can't expect many more pro-bowl seasons (any for that matter) out of him.

LB's still look promising, but that D-line is beyond it's useful life. Maybe the sole reason why our defense is struggling. Limit our pass rush and have one starting quality D-back downfield and you figure out the rest.

This year's draft - look for defense and if we can get a quality bench strength O-lineman out of it, it will be a success but that might be asking for much.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information