Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Meetings Thread

Threads : 197

Default Winter Meetings Thread

Figured we could throw all the stuff we hear pouring out into one topic here unless there's actual big news that deserves its own discussion.

Here's the early word:
    Keith Law's opinion on potential Pirates potential moves:
    Duke is the one guy here I'd most look to trade, since a fluky first half may have given teams the impression he belongs in a major league rotation. Relievers are certainly fungible, but Kovacevic is right about Capps: trading him now after an uncharacteristically bad year only makes sense if the Pirates know something about him (like an injury) that points away from a rebound in 2010.

Dejan's quick updates:
    > A scout just told me that the Pirates' top priority while they are at these meetings is finding left-handed relief. I mentioned some names last week -- Noah Lowry and Ron Villone -- and that apparently is an area they would prefer to address sooner rather than later, unlike some other areas. Joe Beimel is another distinct possibility, though not confirmed.

> The Pirates' interest in Hank Blalock is not all that intense at the moment.

> They are not pursuing Russell Branyan, who might fit their outfield mold but not necessarily their value model. Branyan wants two years.

Waiver claim:
    The Pirates are believed to be ready to make a claim on Texas reliever Willie Eyre, who has been placed on waivers by the Rangers.

The Pirates pick second in the waiver structure, behind the Nationals.

More information should be available later today.

Eyre, 31, is the brother of another right-handed reliever, Scott Eyre, and has a career ERA of 5.14 in 92 appearances, along with 76 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Eyre's been in AAA forever and always puts up solid numbers there, but hasn't been able to carry it over.

Default Re: Winter Meetings Thread

From Fox Sports:
    The Tigers and Pirates are among the three teams with the most serious interest in shortstop Adam Everett, according to a major league source.

Everett is seeking a one-year deal worth around $3 million. -- Jon Paul Morosi

nterest in Pirates' Duke, Maholm — 9:35 a.m.

Pirates starters Zach Duke and Paul Maholm are available, but one person familiar with the team's plans said Neal Huntington will need to be "overwhelmed" in order to trade one of them.

Another source said "a few" clubs have checked on Duke and Maholm recently.

Both are very affordable, which enhances their appeal: Maholm has $11 million left on his contract through 2011, and Duke will probably earn between $3 million and $4 million next year through salary arbitration. -- Jon Paul Morosi

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Everett is hardly worth that much.
    He can't bat so forget about that, he's a decent shortstop; pretty good arm.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCar86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everett is hardly worth that much.
    He can't bat so forget about that, he's a decent shortstop; pretty good arm.
    I think the Pirates are looking for sturdy defense first in regards to a SS, then bat but I for the most part agree with you, his bat is so bad and at that price range, we're better off sticking with Cedeno. Maybe Cedeno can fluke it a bit this year and hit a little more and his defense is solid enough and is much cheaper than Everett's price tag. Better value IMO

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I think the Pirates are looking for sturdy defense first in regards to a SS, then bat but I for the most part agree with you, his bat is so bad and at that price range, we're better off sticking with Cedeno. Maybe Cedeno can fluke it a bit this year and hit a little more and his defense is solid enough and is much cheaper than Everett's price tag. Better value IMO
    Yep! Agreed. He is one of the worst hitters I've seen in a loong time and you'll find move value elsewhere.

I'm hopeful for you guys next season!!

Duke is the one guy here I'd most look to trade, since a fluky first half may have given teams the impression he belongs in a major league rotation.
    Thought this was interesting. I wasn't under the pimpression he had a fluke first half until I saw his splits and sure enough...

From June through Sept. his Whip was 1.40 and his ERA averaged out to being 4.64. In April and May he had a 1.11 Whip and a 2.70 ERA

June-September is more in line with his career numbers

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCar86 View Post
    Yep! Agreed. He is one of the worst hitters I've seen in a loong time and you'll find move value elsewhere.

I'm hopeful for you guys next season!!
    Yeah, value is the key word. At $3 million per, Everett brings far less value for doing pretty much the same thing as Ronny Cedeno who is far cheaper and young enough where a fluke season could happen at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Thought this was interesting. I wasn't under the pimpression he had a fluke first half until I saw his splits and sure enough...

From June through Sept. his Whip was 1.40 and his ERA averaged out to being 4.64. In April and May he had a 1.11 Whip and a 2.70 ERA

June-September is more in line with his career numbers
    Yeah, I had noticed that a few weeks back but didn't really realize it during the season. I know he had a few really bad outings mixed in late in the season. Going by standard 1st half/2nd half numbers (because I'm lazy and it's easier that way), he broke down 3.29 1st, 5.17 second. Strikeout and walk numbers were similar enough, but hits were way up. The biggest difference was BABIP which was .277 in the first half, and .332 in the second. .332 would seem high, but Duke's career number is .325.

Pirates signed RHP Vinnie Chulk to a minor league deal. He's been around the majors a little while with Toronto, San Francisco, and Cleveland. His MLB numbers are unimpressive, but surprisingly fairly decent. He'll be another guy invited to spring training to try to win a spot.

Threads : 31

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Yeah, I had noticed that a few weeks back but didn't really realize it during the season. I know he had a few really bad outings mixed in late in the season. Going by standard 1st half/2nd half numbers (because I'm lazy and it's easier that way), he broke down 3.29 1st, 5.17 second. Strikeout and walk numbers were similar enough, but hits were way up. The biggest difference was BABIP which was .277 in the first half, and .332 in the second. .332 would seem high, but Duke's career number is .325.

I'd be all for dealing Duke if they can get something decent for him. It's too much to expect Maholm and Duke to have decent years in the same year. They are too similar. It would tend to be Maholm's turn to pitch well in 2010. I think Maholm is also slightly more talented with better upside.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    I'd be all for dealing Duke if they can get something decent for him. It's too much to expect Maholm and Duke to have decent years in the same year. They are too similar. It would tend to be Maholm's turn to pitch well in 2010. I think Maholm is also slightly more talented with better upside.
    I'd drink to this. Just the fact that Maholm has far better K/9 numbers is the winner for me. Duke is so reliant on getting contact to to the defenders that it's tough to ever see a long stretch over a full season worth of consistency. Too much of a contact pitcher for my liking. Maholm has some of te better K/9 numbers on the team so he's not as reliant on the defense.

The pitching to contact also explains the BABIP numbers Jnn posted with Duke. He was getting really lucky bounces earlier on and later on, wasn't. Duke's control has never been bad, his K/9 numbers have always been below average, he's just always relied on getting hitters to put the ball where he wants and it's tough to have great success like that IMO.

Jeff Sues outrighted off the 40 man. 2 open spots now. We'll see if there's anything to that earlier waiver pickup, or if they are planning something else (signing soon or 2 rule 5 picks).

Dejan's notes on Huntington's press conference:

> He acknowledged having a "number of conversations" with teams regarding Matt Capps and Ryan Doumit but reiterated the Pirates neither are shopping those players nor eager to lose them.

> Of Paul Maholm and Zack Duke, Huntington said "it's safe to say" there is interest in those starters as well, but added, "It's tough to replace those innings."

> Asked if the team is planning to tender Duke, Capps and Ronny Cedeno in advance of the Friday arbitration deadline: "That's a good question."

> Asked if the Pirates are pursuing any of the biggest names here, someone at the level of Jason Bay: "We've done our due diligence on every player.

> On whether the two openings on the 40-man mean a Rule 5 pick will be taken: "It's too early to say we're definitely going to take somebody."

> He praised the offseason conditioning work of Pedro Alvarez and Lastings Milledge.

And Jen Langosch's writeup of the same meeting:
    The three members of the press that cover the Pirates regularly just finished a session with GM Neal Huntington. Here are a few of the highlights...

* On whether other clubs have called about Matt Capps and Ryan Doumit: "We've had conversations on a number of players, where clubs have asked us if we would consider moving them."
    * On whether clubs have been inquiring about the availability of lefty starters Zach Duke and Paul Maholm: "Given the need for starting pitching in the industry, it's safe to assume that those guys have been asked about."
    * On whether the Pirates anticipate tendering contracts to the club's three arbitration-eligible players (Capps, Ronny Cedeno, Duke) later this week: "It's a good question. It's a good question." That certainly wasn't a resounding, 'Yes,' which makes you wonder if the organization is reconsidering offering Capps a contract. The deadline to tender contracts to arbitration-eligible players in Saturday.
    * On how serious a need it is to add another shortstop to the big-league club this offseason: "Shortstop is an area where we feel like we can thicken our options and provide ourselves with depth in case of injury, in case of substandard performance. To sit here and to say that we have somebody that if something were to happen to Ronny Cedeno that we feel comfortable running out there for two months... it's an area where we are looking to see if we can deepen and provide a challenge."
    * On whether the team anticipates making a selection in Thursday's Rule 5 Draft: "There are a handful of names that we are seriously considering. I don't think it means that we will definitely take somebody. But there are guys that interest us and that will warrant further discussion."
    * One other note worth mentioning: Huntington lauded the offseason conditioning work of third baseman Pedro Alvarez and outfielder Lastings Milledge.
    Last edited by jnn123; Dec-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Adam Everett signed a 1 year deal with the Tigers. Apparently Bobby Crosby remains on the Pirates radar.

Interesting/weird update, turns out the Yankees traded Brian Bruney for Washington's 1st pick in the Rule 5 draft. I wonder what they have in mind.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information