Thread: Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs
    By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP)—No more motivational slogans from coach Mike Tomlin. No more talk of his Pittsburgh Steelers redeeming themselves for past mistakes. No more grandiose promises to unleash havoc on the NFL for the rest of the season.

Tomlin’s response to the Super Bowl champions’ latest improbable loss and the franchise’s longest losing streak since a five-game slide in 2003? He’s taking out an eraser and wiping away names.

A starter gone here, a backup moving up there. A rookie starts, a veteran goes to the bench.

The Steelers traditionally don’t make panicky personnel moves or bench a player because of a bad game or two. But what Tomlin calls “a pattern of behavior that’s unacceptable” during a four-game slump will result in lineup changes Thursday in Cleveland.

“I assure you there are going to be some,” Tomlin said Monday, calling the Steelers “a very average team … and our recent record might indicate that’s a kind assessment.”

Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett is expected to start for the oft-beaten William Gay, who sustained a concussion late in the Steelers’ can-you-believe-it 27-24 loss to the Raiders on Sunday. Gay might not play in Cleveland.

Another rookie cornerback, Keenan Lewis, plus defensive end Ziggy Hood and wide receiver Mike Wallace, also might earn elevated status for the Browns (1-11). Wallace is expected to start if Hines Ward (hamstring) can’t go, which seems likely given the short week.

“We can’t stay status quo in terms of how we’re approaching this and expect the pattern of behavior or outcome to change,” Tomlin said. “That’s unrealistic. That’s hoping. This is not a hope business.”

Tomlin, who hasn’t been tested like this previously during his three seasons in Pittsburgh, stayed patient during an 18-12 loss to Cincinnati and twin overtime defeats to the Chiefs and Ravens. Losing three leads in the fourth quarter against the lowly Raiders (4-8) made him lose that, and a lot more.

Tomlin was as close to agitated as he gets in public on Monday, suggesting longevity and loyalty don’t count for nearly as much when a team is losing like the Steelers are.

“Nothing stays the same in this game,” Tomlin said. “Players are ascending, players are descending. People catch up with schemes, schemes evolve. Playing and coaching, this thing is ever-changing.”

A defense that was easily the NFL’s best a year ago squandered three leads in the final eight-plus minutes Sunday as Bruce Gradkowski became the first Raiders quarterback in 30 years to throw three TD passes in the fourth quarter. It was the fifth time in six losses the Steelers’ defense couldn’t hold a lead in the fourth quarter.

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes said “the party was getting ready to get started” when Ward caught an 11-yard TD pass in the final two minutes that put Pittsburgh ahead 24-20, but the defense didn’t hold up.

“That’s how we felt, knowing that the offense went down and did our job,” Holmes said. “We left everything to the defense. A couple of mishaps here and there, and they (the Raiders) won the ballgame.”

A couple of mishaps against the Chiefs and Raiders, two teams that figured to give them little trouble, and the Steelers are 6-6 instead of being at least 8-4. No wonder Tomlin is concerned about his team’s confidence, which was shaken when the special teams recently gave up four kickoff return touchdowns in five games.

“You’ve got to acknowledge the potential this can be kind of a shaken group,” Tomlin said. “We’ve swallowed a lot. I’m going to be looking very closely at these men … in terms of who legitimately is mentally tough and who can stand the test of adversity.”

No matter what happens down the stretch, the Steelers are expected to undergo more changes than usual during the offseason. There could be coaching staff moves—none was made following the Super Bowl win—and more departing veterans than usual, particularly from a defense loaded with starters in their 30s.

It hasn’t helped that star safety Tory Polamalu has missed seven games and most of two others with a pair of left knee injuries. The Steelers are 2-5 when he doesn’t start, and he’s unlikely to play in Cleveland.

“I’m, not going to make excuses,” Tomlin said. “I think we’re capable of playing winning football with or without Troy. Are we different? Yes, because Troy’s a unique individual. Maybe the ceiling is different but the floor, the level of expectation, is the same.”

Subbing in rookies...for vets that are hurt....isn't ...players losing their jobs. BTW thank you Green Bay.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tomlin: Some Steelers about to lose jobs

The obvious choice - Arians probably won't be part of this program.

I'm just not sure that Tomlin and Co. aren't throwing the players under the bus for poor coaching. We'll see how this turns out.

Threads : 197

I swear Santonio Holmes must have skipped the lesson they give players on what to say after a loss. It doesn't really bother me and I don't disagree with him, but I always think it's weird when he gives those kind of "I did my job, but the rest of the team didn't get it done" quotes. This is at least twice I've seen it in the last few weeks.

Threads : 8

This group as it stands now is not coming back to any kind of excellence so I say let's see the young guys. Plus, it may mean more losses and a better draft pick. If we didn't suck that one year, we wouldn't have gotten Ben so sometimes you just need to take two steps back to take one step forward.

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I swear Santonio Holmes must have skipped the lesson they give players on what to say after a loss. It doesn't really bother me and I don't disagree with him, but I always think it's weird when he gives those kind of "I did my job, but the rest of the team didn't get it done" quotes. This is at least twice I've seen it in the last few weeks.
    If you ask me Holmes got too big of an ego after making the outstanding SB winning catch and he has not been quite the same WR this year.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Holmes did do his job.. It was the Steelers D that didn't. You can't blame him. I think it was 3 or 4 times he pulled the Steelers out after that.

So, lighten up on him. He's right. I'd be ****ed too, if I were him.

Threads : 18

I'm not sure what the correct solution is at the moment. We are not winning with this secondary and we are going up against the Browns, maybe now is the time to see what the under classmen can do on game day ?
    I don't think they will do well at all to tell you the truth. I mean, these coaches have been here at least three season now and if they haven't figured out what player is better than the other then, we got troubles.

Is Troy that much of a factor to the secondary ? If Troy is the reason that these guys can't handle their jobs, it time to get some reallly good players for this secondary because, Troy won't be around forever.

Long in the tooth and it is showing: Farrior, Hampton, Smith, Townsend.
    No one seems to want to admit, we miss McFadden and Foote.

Our defense has been off balance since preseason, do you guys remember ? Teams were doing then what they are doing now. I actually saw glimpses of this at the later part of last season.
    These guys were very big headed this off season and preseason about their number one title of being the best in 2008. They lost their edge and their age is showing.

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post

[HIGH-LIGHT]I'm just not sure that Tomlin and Co. aren't throwing the players under the bus for poor coaching.[/HIGH-LIGHT] We'll see how this turns out.
    I think he is.

Threads : 49

The video that I saw of Tomlin earlier today sounded clearly like he was blaming the players but the quotes of him in THIS article sound like he's blaming players and coaches. These two quotes give me hope that he's finally taking some positive action -

“We can’t stay status quo in terms of how we’re approaching this and expect the pattern of behavior or outcome to change,” Tomlin said. “That’s unrealistic. That’s hoping. This is not a hope business.”

“Nothing stays the same in this game,” Tomlin said. “Players are ascending, players are descending. People catch up with schemes, schemes evolve. Playing and coaching, this thing is ever-changing.”

I love the part about schemes evolving and mentioning coaches and players. Maybe he actually gets it. I mean I haven't seen it play out on the field yet, but let's see what happens in these last 4 games. Ravens lost today, if the Steelers win out, then playoffs here we come. Of course that's all order for a team that seems to be total disarray right now. But the talent is there, it should be interesting.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post

Long in the tooth and it is showing: Farrior, Hampton, Smith, Townsend.
    No one seems to want to admit, we miss McFadden and Foote.
    McFadden yes, watching Larry Foote get knocked around like a Pinball on thanksgiving day indicates what alot of us thought, without the supporting cast, Foote was barely average.....and I liked Larry Foote hear.

And right on with "D".

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    The video that I saw of Tomlin earlier today sounded clearly like he was blaming the players but the quotes of him in THIS article sound like he's blaming players and coaches. These two quotes give me hope that he's finally taking some positive action -

I love the part about schemes evolving and mentioning coaches and players. Maybe he actually gets it. I mean I haven't seen it play out on the field yet, but let's see what happens in these last 4 games. Ravens lost today, if the Steelers win out, then playoffs here we come. Of course that's all order for a team that seems to be total disarray right now. But the talent is there, it should be interesting.
    There is enough fault and blame to go around for both coaches and players. Coaches making stupid calls, players not making plays. Nuff said.

Threads : 87

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post

[HIGH-LIGHT]I'm just not sure that Tomlin and Co. aren't throwing the players under the bus for poor coaching. We'll see how this turns out[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Yep!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information