Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular opinion for sure....

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Unpopular opinion for sure....

Get over it....BA is actually calling the offense efficiently enough to win (not to mention, he has the offense on track to break a couple of Stiller records)....

Sure, he's been the popular scapegoat....but he's been doing a "decent" job of mixing up the offense to put our skill players in a position to succeed!

IMHO, he's got a good grasp on our offensive talent, and hasnt done a bad job of utilizing it...Whether or not the offense executes is a different story!

I am not waiving the "Arians Flag"....but when you have 4th Q leads in 5 of 6 losses, it's time to look for another Blacksheep!

Threads : 10

Default Re: Unpopular opinion for sure....

LOL!~

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get over it....BA is actually calling the offense efficiently enough to win (not to mention, he has the offense on track to break a couple of Stiller records)....

Sure, he's been the popular scapegoat....but he's been doing a "decent" job of mixing up the offense to put our skill players in a position to succeed!

IMHO, he's got a good grasp on our offensive talent, and hasnt done a bad job of utilizing it...Whether or not the offense executes is a different story!

I am not waiving the "Arians Flag"....but when you have 4th Q leads in 5 of 6 losses, it's time to look for another Blacksheep!
    I agree...To an extent, part of it is his and the offenses fault, too. This is a big enough **** burger for everyone to have a bite. The O can't build a lead, and if they do the D can't hold it when it counts. Just pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I agree...To an extent, part of it is his and the offenses fault, too. This is a big enough **** burger for everyone to have a bite. The O can't build a lead, and if they do the D can't hold it when it counts. Just pathetic.
    I actually like our offense (for the most part) this year...We are simply NOT ****ING EXECUTING!!! I like that we stretch the field and play to the strengths of our team! Ben's not gonna be around forever, we may as well utilize his talent to the extent of his abilities

I actually like our offense (for the most part) this year...We are simply NOT ****ING EXECUTING!!! I like that we stretch the field and play to the strengths of our team! Ben's not gonna be around forever, we may as well utilize his talent to the extent of his abilities
    I do too, and it does seem like improvement over last year statisically, which is odd. But, how can you squander so many opportunities away in the RZ and come away with 3 or 0, and expect to win? Especially when you know your defense is for ****.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    I do too, and it does seem like improvement over last year statisically, which is odd. But, [HIGH-LIGHT]how can you squander so many opportunities away in the RZ [/HIGH-LIGHT]and come away with 3 or 0, and expect to win? Especially when you know your defense is for ****.
    Again, it's a matter of execution...

For example, in Sunday's game...4th and inches, and we cant get the push up front to convert...BULL****!!! I would have been ****ing ****ed if we DIDNT try to convert against the Raiders

Threads : 49

Again, it's a matter of execution...

For example, in Sunday's game...4th and inches, and we cant get the push up front to convert...BULL****!!! I would have been ****ing ****ed if we DIDNT try to convert against the Raiders
    First of all it wasn't 4th and inches, it was 4th and almost a yard. Second, it was a HORRIBLE call to have Ben, who just had a concussion leap head first into a defensive line!! Just hand the ball off to Mendy!

Arians does some good things, he has good ideas and some good offensive schemes. He's a horrible and stubborn in-game OC, though and that's probably never going to change at this point in his career. He really calls a grab bag type of game out there, no rhyme or reason, he doesn't maximize the talent on the team, he never seems to take advantage of what the opposing defense is doing, etc. He seems to just throw out different formations at random times for no reason other than to just do it. He seems to have absolutely no feel for how a game is progressing.

This offense is loaded with talent and while it's ranked in the top 10 in total yards, it's like 16th in scoring points. Think about that, especially considering the relatively easy schedule this year. Yeah, player execution could and should be better, but Arians sure isn't putting the players in an easier position to execute, which is his job.

After almost 3 seasons I really don't want to see him back for a fourth, although I have a bad feeling it's going to happen.

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    First of all it wasn't 4th and inches, it was 4th and almost a yard. Second, it was a HORRIBLE call to have Ben, who just had a concussion leap head first into a defensive line!! Just hand the ball off to Mendy!

Arians does some good things, he has good ideas and some good offensive schemes. He's a horrible and stubborn in-game OC, though and that's probably never going to change at this point in his career. He really calls a grab bag type of game out there, no rhyme or reason, he doesn't maximize the talent on the team, he never seems to take advantage of what the opposing defense is doing, etc. He seems to just throw out different formations at random times for no reason other than to just do it. He seems to have absolutely no feel for how a game is progressing.

This offense is loaded with talent and while it's ranked in the top 10 in total yards, it's like 16th in scoring points. Think about that, especially considering the relatively easy schedule this year. Yeah, player execution could and should be better, but Arians sure isn't putting the players in an easier position to execute, which is his job.

After almost 3 seasons I really don't want to see him back for a fourth, although I have a bad feeling it's going to happen.

I agree with this post. Arians is also quick to go away from something that is effective. For instance, in the 1st half versus the Raiders, Mendenhall began tearing up the Raiders defense. He breaks off a 60+ yard run and then he disappears an entire quarter while Parker and Moore share the load. I'm thinking, WTF? Was Mendenhall injured? Did the Pittsburgh Police Department pick him up on a warrant? Where the **** is he?

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I definitely see what you mean, Bton. There is something incredibly strange about watching this team struggle so much defensively. Sure, the offense wastes plenty of chances but they're still so much better than last year (a championship year no less).

We are literally having an IDENTICAL season to the New Orleans Saints in 2008-9. They lost most of their games by 3 points or less, went to overtime and squandered chances, could not hold on to leads for the life of them and ended up around .500.

There is nothing of last year's team in this group and it seems like no one in the organization gives a ****.

Threads : 164

I have stated this 100 times before the margin of winning and losing in the NFL is often 2 or 3 plays.

Picking up the crucial 3rd down that lets you run the clock in the 4th quarter from 5 minutes to 3 minutes.

Stopping a team on third down when up by 10 with 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, thus limiting the number of times they touch the ball.

EVERYTIME this season we have has a teams on the ropes, offensively and defensively we haven't made that conversion/tackle/int/ whatever.....

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

players play coaches coach plain and simple

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Both sides of the ball has had their failures this season, uncharacteristic of the D, that's for sure, and throw in ST's, but BA is not creative and very predictable IMO and does not utilize the O talent to its complete ability.

I'm not down on him either. I think he's doin fine.

2 things I didn't agree with from Sunday's game:

1) The sneak with Ben just coming back from a concussion. I mean, that **** just makes no ****ing sense to me at all.

2) Mendy? exactly! WTF? A warrant by the PPD did make me laugh because I kinda wondered the same thing. Where's he at?

Other than those two instances from this game, I only leave each game with a couple questions concerning our offensive playcalling. Maybe I'm easy and passive, i dunno. Our defense, on the other hand, has to go back to basics soon!
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It had to be MT's call to sit Mendy and play FWP in the 2nd quarter. I can't imagine any reason for BA to do it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ride the horse till it falls over.

Threads : 1817

Nobody is going to say that Bruce Arians doesn't and hasn't had his failures. The offense for the most part moves the ball well and then when put into a strategic situation the offense comes to a halt usually because of bad play calling, dumb playcalling. It's why an offense that racks up the amount of yards that this one does, isn't scoring like the yardage indicates. While we have moved up in point per game rankings offensively this year, we still aren't matching up close enough to teams ahead of us or even 5 slots below us in total yards with points per game.

That said, while we aren't scoring as much as we should, we're scoring mroe than last year against a weaker schedule. The offense is piling up a ton more passing and rushing yards over last year against weaker defenses like is expected. If you look at the big picture... the offense has improved in just about every facet of the game this year ... as they should since we are player weaker defenses.

.... the same can't be said about the defense. the defense is giving up more than 5 points per game on average over last year, giving up more rushing yards per game, a much high rushing yards per carry average, more passing yards per game by a gigantic number, almost number and a far larger number of passing yards per attempt.... and this is all against far weaker offenses.

We can say that the offense isn't converting or capitlizing in strategic situations on certain key areas like the red zone or the 3rd downs... but the defense has been much worse in these situations. The defense can't get off the field against 3rd and short and 3rd and long situations, fails drive after drive to produce punts with the game on the line and instead allows even the ****tiest QB's and offenses to march down the field at will on them. that's been our biggest problem all season. Not an offense that despite issues on some 3rd downs and playcalling in the redzone yet still producing better in most categories... but a defense that is doing the same things at crucial points in the game and have statistically fallen in every category this year against far weaker opponents.

Some numbers...

Steelers Offense.. 3rd down conversions ranked 16th at 40%
    Steelers Offense.. 4th down conversions ranked 8th at 62%

Steelers Offense.. 3rd down conversions ranked 14th at 40%
    Steelers offense.. 4th down conversions ranked 32nd (DEAD LAST) at 25%

3rd down conversions remain *** because of Arians but at least haven't really changed. 4th down conversions have greatly improved.

Steelers Defense .. 3rd down defense ranks 20th in the league allowing 40% conversions
    Steelers Defense .. 4th down defense ranks 32nd (DEAD LAST) in the league allowing a 78% conversion rate

Steelers Defense.. 3rd down defense ranked 1st in the leauge allowing a 31% conversion rate

Steelers Defense.. 4th down defense ranked 13th in the league allowing a 48% conversion rate.

Basically our 4th down defense wasn't much good last year and isn't much good this year except that now with the same percentage, we rank worse cause everyone else improved. 3rd down defense has fallen greatly.

Bigger problem is on defense. Biggest problem with this team id the Defense.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information