Thread: Tigers/Dbacks/Yankees Trade

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tigers/Dbacks/Yankees Trade

This is from mlive.com but I have no idea why reports keep flaking about this trade. It appears final, however. If I find more info I will post it.

"The Tigers, Diamondbacks and Yankees have reportedly agreed to a three-team trade, sending Curtis Granderson to New York and Edwin Jackson to Arizona.

The Tigers will reportedly receive center field prospect Austin Jackson and reliever Phil Coke from New York and pitchers Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth from Arizona. The Diamondbacks will reportedly land Edwin Jackson and New York prospect Ian Kennedy."

James Schmehl, mlive.com

I'm coming from the stance of a Tiger fan, but I am really unhappy with the descisions this team has made already in the offseason. Please bear with my rant.

Granderson was the only semblance of speed on this team. Thanks, Dombrowski.

2B Placido Polanco, SS Adam Everett (soon), P Edwin Jackson, CF Curtis Granderson... all gone with their best hope for a LF in Ryan Raburn being stuffed as backup for ****ing Carlos Guillen.

Magglio Ordonez is dragging 18 million in his greedy paws while being the slowest, least accurate player in the back field.

Verlander and Porcello are tight pitchers but we wasted huge money on Aubrey Huff and Jarrod WashedUp and they're swimming free! Nevermind Willis and the money tied up in mediocre set up men.

Ok I'm going to stop now.

Feel free to discuss anything if it strikes you, I just had to post this.

Threads : 197

Default Re: Tigers/Dbacks/Yankees Trade

They would be a better team had they not made the deal, but since it seemed like they were completely intent on trading both players they made out fairly well. The Diamondbacks got worked pretty hard here as they gave up the second best player in the deal (Scherzer) and didn't bring back the top player in terms of quality (Granderson) or the best quantity.

Granderson should be a very good fit for the Yankees at a position where they weren't pleased with the results last year. He should crush in Yankee Stadium.

Scherzer had a very good first full season for the D'Backs and has 5 remaining years of team control. Schlereth has a lot of upside as a lefty reliever, probably in the back of the pen. He's a two pitch guy, but they're both very good pitches. Lots of movement on the fastball and a killer curve. Control isn't good, though. Austin Jackson is near MLB ready and should be solid in center. Not a star, but a good defender who should hit for average. Power is a question mark. Coke's your every day lefty reliever. Not too special, but a decent enough arm in the bullpen.

Edwin Jackson has some potential, but is reaching his expensive years and only has one particularly good season under his belt. If he can build on his success in the first half last year with the move to the NL he should be decent, but I don't think he's better than Scherzer in any way. Ian Kennedy was an interesting player a couple years ago, but has really fallen off since. A lot of missed time to injury in 2009, and some question marks had emerged before then. If he can bounce back I guess the deal isn't a complete disaster.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They would be a better team had they not made the deal, but since it seemed like they were completely intent on trading both players they made out fairly well. The Diamondbacks got worked pretty hard here as they gave up the second best player in the deal (Scherzer) and didn't bring back the top player in terms of quality (Granderson) or the best quantity.

Granderson should be a very good fit for the Yankees at a position where they weren't pleased with the results last year. He should crush in Yankee Stadium.

Scherzer had a very good first full season for the D'Backs and has 5 remaining years of team control. Schlereth has a lot of upside as a lefty reliever, probably in the back of the pen. He's a two pitch guy, but they're both very good pitches. Lots of movement on the fastball and a killer curve. Control isn't good, though. Austin Jackson is near MLB ready and should be solid in center. Not a star, but a good defender who should hit for average. Power is a question mark. Coke's your every day lefty reliever. Not too special, but a decent enough arm in the bullpen.

Edwin Jackson has some potential, but is reaching his expensive years and only has one particularly good season under his belt. If he can build on his success in the first half last year with the move to the NL he should be decent, but I don't think he's better than Scherzer in any way. Ian Kennedy was an interesting player a couple years ago, but has really fallen off since. A lot of missed time to injury in 2009, and some question marks had emerged before then. If he can bounce back I guess the deal isn't a complete disaster.
    I witnessed more than my fair share of Sherzer/Schlereth and I can honestly say I don't think the Diamondbacks made out too badly in the deal.

Jackson is coming off back to back solid seasons, where he's shown potential to be a very good Major League pitcher. He's won 32 games in 3 seasons as a full time starting pitcher, has roughly 400 strikeouts in that time frame, and has seen his ERA drop in each season as a starter.

In Arizona, he'll be expected to be the #3 starter behind a healthy Brandon Webb and Dan Haren. Considering there's about 10-12 teams that were looking at Jackson as a #1 starter, I don't think this is a bad deal. Jackson's only 26, where as Scherzer's 25 and still very much an unpolished product, whereas Schlereth is a 7th-8th inning guy at best.

I also think the variable of this deal could wind up being Kennedy, who came in the pros with huge promise. I still think he's got the opportunity to turn the corner on his career. If he develops as expected, frankly this deal is a very nice one for Arizona.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

**** the yankees
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    **** the yankees

With a rusty AIDS chainsaw.

sjdrewk

**** the Yankees but **** me too- the Yankees just got over in this deal....

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three teams trade spare parts.

But it's a headline because it's the Yankees.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Three teams trade spare parts.

But it's a headline because it's the Yankees.
    I think what the Yankees got is considerably more than the other parties received.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information