Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Coolest Drum Kit You'll See Today

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Coolest Drum Kit You'll See Today

"Hey Scott,
    Thought you might like to see an exclusive. This is a pic of Neil Peart's (Rush) drum set for some kind of photo or video shoot for tomorrow. It has something to do with the NHL and you are seeing it first. My buddy next door is Neil's good friend. Seriously, they grew up as best friends together in Montreal and he was Alex Lifeson's guitar tech for over 20 years." --Ben

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Coolest Drum Kit You'll See Today

Well, there's a kit style you don't see every day.

I saw a cartoon somewhere - I wish I saved it, but it shows "my first drum kit" which is some junky 5 piece set. "My second drum kit" is some monster of a kit, a gazillion cymbals, toms, 3 bass drums, gong - all that ****. "My last drum kit" is that 5 piece set.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, there's a kit style you don't see every day.

I saw a cartoon somewhere - I wish I saved it, but it shows "my first drum kit" which is some junky 5 piece set. "My second drum kit" is some monster of a kit, a gazillion cymbals, toms, 3 bass drums, gong - all that ****. "My last drum kit" is that 5 piece set.

I've downscaled certain things over the years myself... removed 2 floor toms, the 2nd bass drum an extra cymbal, a timbale.

Peart is my drum idol. My kit originally started off mirroring his Roll The Bones kit from 1991 with the 2nd bass drum and a tumbale like Peart used to have in the early 80's above my 3rd floor tom I had next to my high hat.

Got to the point where I used those things so infrequently I got rid of them. the 2nd bass drum was replaced by a double pedal and removed a floor tom on the right cause I never hit the **** thing

I do still have a set of bells/glockenspieal that ive wanted to build a box for and add it to my drum set up for the coolness effect

For the most part eliminate the floor tom on the left, 2nd floor tom on the right and the gong drum from Peart's set and that's my set up with cymbals placed slightly in different places. I do have the 2nd hi=hat by my ride like Peart does. Comes in handy live when i feel like cheating doubles and triples on one foot with a closed hi hat, i can goto that and use the double pedal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peart91.jpg  

Threads : 88

Peart (and now his Mini-me, Portnoy) always have some serious pieces of kit. The great think is that it's not for decoration. They all get a beating.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Check out some of the massive kits featured at this site.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=29552

I hate to say this, but Stryper's Robert Sweet has the "sweetest" kit IMO.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post

Robert Sweet always had one of the strangest set ups ive ever seen. A buddy of mine was HUGEEEEE into Stryper back in the 80's He was a born again christian and his mom frowned on him listening to anything that wasn't "christian" back then. So needless to say he'd come over to my house to listen to some Motley Crue and other "satanic" bands

He had a ton of Stryper posters and was a drummer too so he had a lot of videos and posters of Sweet and his drumset. Always really strange set ups that made no sense. one of his drum sets had like 4 floor toms and 2 rack toms, 3 snare drums, 4 bass drums but 2 of them were place somewhere that you couldn't hit them, they were there for show

Alex Van Halen is someone that had HUGE drumsets back in the 1980's and used about 25% of it. I remember being in school and all of us drummers trying to learn the intro to Hot for Teacher and the older kids being convinced and trying to convince us that Alex Van Halen had pedals rigged to bass drums 3 and 4 to hit a second later to do that intro Truth is.. Alex Van Halen just has great double bass drum chops. His drum solos show that off

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Robert Sweet always had one of the strangest set ups ive ever seen. A buddy of mine was HUGEEEEE into Stryper back in the 80's He was a born again christian and his mom frowned on him listening to anything that wasn't "christian" back then. So needless to say he'd come over to my house to listen to some Motley Crue and other "satanic" bands

He had a ton of Stryper posters and was a drummer too so he had a lot of videos and posters of Sweet and his drumset. Always really strange set ups that made no sense. one of his drum sets had like 4 floor toms and 2 rack toms, 3 snare drums, 4 bass drums but 2 of them were place somewhere that you couldn't hit them, they were there for show

Alex Van Halen is someone that had HUGE drumsets back in the 1980's and used about 25% of it. I remember being in school and all of us drummers trying to learn the intro to Hot for Teacher and the older kids being convinced and trying to convince us that Alex Van Halen had pedals rigged to bass drums 3 and 4 to hit a second later to do that intro Truth is.. Alex Van Halen just has great double bass drum chops. His drum solos show that off
    The hanging cymbals did it for me. In that vid it looks like he has two nearly identical kits, set up back-to-back and he just spins around on his seat to play them. I actually saw Stryper play in Dayton in the 80's (went to see the opening acts) Two things I remember about that show are Sweets drum kit (he had a gong too) and the Stryper sound system, being the closest to the power of Black Sabbath that I had seen up until then. I've seen alot of "louder" concerts including Motorhead and Metallica (a couple of times) but no band shakes a building quite like Black Sabbath!!! Stryper was right there.

Lets hope they get Tony Iommi into the CEC to give that foundation a good rattling!

The hanging cymbals did it for me. In that vid it looks like he has two nearly identical kits, set up back-to-back and he just spins around on his seat to play them. I actually saw Stryper play in Dayton in the 80's (went to see the opening acts) Two things I remember about that show are Sweets drum kit (he had a gong too) and the Stryper sound system, being the closest to the power of Black Sabbath that I had seen up until then. I've seen alot of "louder" concerts including Motorhead and Metallica (a couple of times) but no band shakes a building quite like Black Sabbath!!! Stryper was right there.

Lets hope they get Tony Iommi into the CEC to give that foundation a good rattling!
    I always did love the cymbals hanging from chains on the rack system. I forgot about Sweet doing that until seeing that vid. I always loved Scott Rockenfield of queensryche. Bad *** underrated drummer (intro to Revolution calling kicks *** on the drums), but cool *** drum set with the chains

I always liked Rockenfeld. He reminded me a little bit of Peart. ....Of course some of the later "Ryche" songs reminded me of Rush.

Threads : 137

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

I've downscaled certain things over the years myself... removed 2 floor toms, the 2nd bass drum an extra cymbal, a timbale.

Peart is my drum idol. My kit originally started off mirroring his Roll The Bones kit from 1991 with the 2nd bass drum and a tumbale like Peart used to have in the early 80's above my 3rd floor tom I had next to my high hat.

Got to the point where I used those things so infrequently I got rid of them. the 2nd bass drum was replaced by a double pedal and removed a floor tom on the right cause I never hit the **** thing

I do still have a set of bells/glockenspieal that ive wanted to build a box for and add it to my drum set up for the coolness effect

For the most part eliminate the floor tom on the left, 2nd floor tom on the right and the gong drum from Peart's set and that's my set up with cymbals placed slightly in different places. I do have the 2nd hi=hat by my ride like Peart does. Comes in handy live when i feel like cheating doubles and triples on one foot with a closed hi hat, i can goto that and use the double pedal
    Yeah, I haven't played in a couple years but my kit was reduced to a basic 5pc set that I'd break down to a 4pc when I took it out. More often than not I'd use the other drummers kit when I could and that only caused me one problem when we did a gig with Superstar Jones and the drummer was a leftie.

I had the double kick single bass setup which worked ok. Didn't bounce as well as two bass drums, but not a bad compromise.

My only gimmick was having a trash china and a splash. Used a ping ride but you could ride other cymbals for different sounds.

There are better drummers than me by far, but I was always impressed when you saw a guy who knew what the **** he was doing on some simple junk kit and sounded like a god.

Threads : 82

I am pretty sure I saw them that year. In God We trust tour. Stryper lololol

That was the lamest drum solo I have ever seen btw. I think he is trying to use that kit to mask the fact that he sucks.
    Last edited by Beezy; Dec-12-2009 at 01:22 PM.

Threads : 82

Here is the best kit right here

All you need really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Yeah, I haven't played in a couple years but my kit was reduced to a basic 5pc set that I'd break down to a 4pc when I took it out. More often than not I'd use the other drummers kit when I could and that only caused me one problem when we did a gig with Superstar Jones and the drummer was a leftie.

I had the double kick single bass setup which worked ok. Didn't bounce as well as two bass drums, but not a bad compromise.

My only gimmick was having a trash china and a splash. Used a ping ride but you could ride other cymbals for different sounds.

There are better drummers than me by far, but I was always impressed when you saw a guy who knew what the **** he was doing on some simple junk kit and sounded like a god.
    I HATE using someone else's set up, mainly because a good 90% of drummers have both toms over their kick drum/attached to the kick drum and the ride cymbal to me at least is way off to the right. I only have 1 tom over my kick with the ride cymbal taking up the other side so it always throws me off especially with fills. Sounds awful if you intentional skip a tom doing a fill too

Most times using someone else's kit they want you to use your own cymbals and snare so ive always gotten to use mine except for one time. Opened up for Sauce at the Sports Rock Cafe and the drummer had everything set up but was doing another gig down the street on a different kit. I couldn't talk to the guy and his bandmates were like "oooh... he doesn't like people messing with his set up". It was the most ****ed up set up I've ever seen. The hi-hat was remoteless and floated practically over top of the bass drum right in front, there were 2 toms off to the left of the hi hat and then 2 floor toms. Needless to say I ****ing sucked that night.

After we finished playing, the drummer was there and came up to me and said "how the heck did you manage playing on my setup? How comes you didn't change it around?"

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Here is the best kit right here

All you need really.

I'd feel naked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information