Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook: Steelers play like losers

Threads : 691

Default Cook: Steelers play like losers

Cook: Steelers play like losers
    Friday, December 11, 2009
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteSteelers wide receiver Hines Ward is consoled by wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner in the final seconds of the Steelers' loss at Cleveland Browns Stadium last night.

View all related imagesCLEVELAND -- It's one thing to lose a football game. It happens to half of the teams in the NFL every week. When the Steelers lost in Baltimore in overtime Nov. 29 without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, safety Troy Polamalu and defensive end Aaron Smith, it was understandable. In some ways, their performance even was admirable.

But it's something much worse to be a professional and play as if you don't care. That was the Steelers last night. Coach Mike Tomlin was right a few days earlier when he said he would find out plenty about the character of his players. They revealed themselves completely in an almost unbelievable 13-6 defeat at the frozen hands of the Cleveland Browns.

They are losers.

There is no other word to describe a team that was supposed to be fighting for its playoff life and the right to defend its Super Bowl title, yet was thoroughly outplayed by the 1-11 Browns, an opponent that -- quoting safety Ryan Clark now -- "even a bad Pittsburgh Steelers team should be able to beat every time."

There is no other word to describe a team that has lost five games in a row, including three to the worst that the NFL has to offer -- the Browns, the Oakland Raiders and the Kansas City Chiefs.

There is no other word to describe a team that, by all indications, has quit on the Rooneys, Tomlin, their fans and -- most egregiously -- themselves.

Losers.

Tomlin talked afterward about how much he admired his guys' "fight" on this frigid night on the shore of Lake Erie. I must have been watching a different game. Wide receiver Hines Ward used words that I thought were much more appropriate. "Frustrating. Disappointing. Embarrassing."

Especially embarrassing.

"We're better than this," Ward said, shaking his head.

Sorry, no.

They aren't better.

It seems unfathomable that a team that went into Denver Nov. 9 and bucked the Broncos, 28-10, to go to 6-2 can be so bad barely a month later. But the Steelers are just that -- dreadfully bad -- in every sense of the word and in every phase of the game.

Their offense couldn't score a touchdown against the NFL's worst defense. It was 3 of 14 on third-down conversions. Roethlisberger was sacked a staggering eight times.

"This was probably the worst we played up front all year," tackle Willie Colon said. "I know it was probably my worst game. I feel like I let the line down."

The Steelers' defense couldn't force a turnover against the NFL's worst offense. The Browns ran for 171 yards, including 87 by Joshua Cribbs out of the wildcat formation. The way the Steelers played it, you would have thought they had never seen it before.

"Mind-boggling," defensive back Deshea Townsend described it.

The Steelers' special teams gave up another ridiculous return, this one a 55-yard punt return to set up a field goal by Cribbs, a noted Steelers slayer. But, hey, at least Cribbs didn't run a kickoff back. Not that the Steelers kicked off much.

The way it looked, the Steelers played as if they couldn't wait to start their Caribbean vacations. The good news for them is they don't have much longer to wait. There will be no playoffs for them this season. Three more games -- almost certainly three more losses -- and their agony will be over.

As will ours.

This Steelers slide has been as hard to watch as it is to understand. "Like a bad dream," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. I didn't think it could get worse than the loss to the Chiefs. But it did. I didn't think it could get worse than the loss to the Raiders. But it did.

Well, at least that trend is over.

It can't get worse than losing to the Browns.

There just isn't another team in the NFL that is that bad.

This loss was a shame because there was still so much to play for despite those previous four losses. A win in the final four games and the Steelers probably would have made the playoffs. All they had to do to get the first one was beat the Browns.

So much for that.

"It's a wrap," Hampton said with an appropriate tone of finality. "This [bleep] is a wrap."

It almost seemed right that Roethlisberger's fourth-and-6 pass for wide receiver Santonio Holmes with 1:48 to go fell incomplete. The only thing that would have been more appropriate would have been if he had been sacked one more time to end the Steelers' dying gasp.

Somehow, Big Ben kept getting up.

The Steelers didn't.

They were down for the count

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09345...#ixzz0ZOETpjDO
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cook: Steelers play like losers

Well,the bright side is we don't have to watch them get massacred in the POs this year.

sjdrewk

When you defend the title in this manner: Our team = losers.

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ahhh Ron Cook you had me at the title!

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It's a wrap," Hampton said with an appropriate tone of finality. "This [bleep] is a wrap."
    Well, that quote alone tells you that they aren't going to win another game this year. That quote alone tells you that they are just going to go through the motions the rest of the way and finish this pathetic season off! It was apparent by their play Thursday night that they have given up. Now, after their latest embarrassing loss, Mr. Hampton basically tells you right there that the quit in them is going to stay there the rest of the way! So much for playing for pride at least! This team has none right now and hasn't had any in weeks! 6-10 here we come!

Threads : 60

Losers is a bit much don't you think? Yes, we are playing like **** but the "loser" label should be saved for the Bucs and Browns.

This team has lost it's heart and might have quit but they are far from being losers. I can say with certainty that if we hire the right guys to run this team, Tomlin should not be part of the hiring process since he was given that power 3 years ago and failed miserably, we will be right back in the thick of things next year. We basically need 3, 4, or 5 good coaches to run this team not one.

Threads : 1632

Steelers 2009

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Losers is a bit much don't you think?
    I really don't think it is.... Don't get me wrong, I'll root for this squad with my last dying breath... But we are definitely playing like losers IMO... I think (at least in my opinion) it started several weeks ago, and the slide has continued to what we witnessed last night...

Disgruntlement making it's way into the press releases from the locker room. Inability of the coaching staff. A team that seems to have lost it's desire. Poor fundamentals against inferior opponents. And possibly a coach that has lost his players... All the signs are there in my opinion.

I cheer for this squad, and I will ***** about this squad. .... Even though I love this squad... As fans, we have that right... Personally, I would hate to be a season ticket holder right now and paying to see this product on the field... I hope the Rooneys hold true to their word and make major changes.

... Because, at least for THIS year, it appears as though we have traded roles with the Bungles.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    Well, that quote alone tells you that they aren't going to win another game this year. That quote alone tells you that they are just going to go through the motions the rest of the way and finish this pathetic season off! It was apparent by their play Thursday night that they have given up. Now, after their latest embarrassing loss, Mr. Hampton basically tells you right there that the quit in them is going to stay there the rest of the way! So much for playing for pride at least! This team has none right now and hasn't had any in weeks! 6-10 here we come!
    I wouldnt go that far. I saw Hampton a few times in that game after the Browns made a play throw his arms up in disgust and was ****ed off. Basically, Hampton was showing the emotion that others weren't. He's just telling it as it is, it is a wrap. He saw the **** that went on out in that field.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I really don't think it is.... Don't get me wrong, I'll root for this squad with my last dying breath... But we are definitely playing like losers IMO... I think (at least in my opinion) it started several weeks ago, and the slide has continued to what we witnessed last night...

Disgruntlement making it's way into the press releases from the locker room. Inability of the coaching staff. A team that seems to have lost it's desire. Poor fundamentals against inferior opponents. And possibly a coach that has lost his players... All the signs are there in my opinion.

I cheer for this squad, and I will ***** about this squad. .... Even though I love this squad... As fans, we have that right... Personally, I would hate to be a season ticket holder right now and paying to see this product on the field... I hope the Rooneys hold true to their word and make major changes.

... Because, at least for THIS year, it appears as though we have traded roles with the Bungles.

It's like we live in ****ing Bizarro World

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post

Bungals? I would be happy if we were the Bungals this year. The only good thing about us tanking this year is the luster of beating us is now tarnished for all these teams. All of a sudden the Bengals beating us twice, the Ravens beating us once, maybe twice, and the Browns beating us once doesn't look all that impressive anymore. Now if we were 12-4 and the Bungals beat us TWICE we would never hear the end of it. But now that we officially suck are they really surprised they beat us twice?
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Dec-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Threads : 1632

Steelers 2009 theme song.

Threads : 150

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqzBtJ2Gco[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Bungals? I would be happy if we were the Bungals this year. The only good thing about us tanking this year is the luster of beating us is now tarnished for all these teams. All of a sudden the Bengals beating us twice, the Ravens beating us once, maybe twice, and the Browns beating us once doesn't look all that impressive anymore. Now if we were 12-4 and the Bungals beat us TWICE we would never hear the end of it. But now that we officially suck are they really surprised they beat us twice?
    Pretty good point

The Bengals barely beating us twice doesn't look that impressive when they find out that the Browns beat us by a larger margin than they could, that both the Chiefs and Raiders beat us AND hung more points on us than they did. When you put it in that perspective.....

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Steelers 2009 theme song.

Pretty fitting. didn't even have to listen to the song. The fact that it's from a ****ty band about a ****ty team sums it all up

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information