Thread: Final Brian Kelly Rant.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Final Brian Kelly Rant.

Here's my attempt at clarifying my take on the entire Brian Kelly mess, which is mostly a way to procrastinate going Christmas shopping....

-I have no issue with Brian Kelly taking the Notre Dame job. I understand the allure of pursuing a dream, and a bigger paycheck.

-I really have no issue with Brian Kelly being in contact with Notre Dame representatives before this week, which I believe he did.

-The foundation of UC football has never been stronger. The Bearcats will be fine.

-With the exception of a source close to Brian Kelly accusing the school of putting forth minimal effort to keep Kelly, I really didn't have much of an issue with how this had played out, until Thursday afternoon.

-I believe the school did what they could to keep Brian Kelly, but I'm realisitic enough to understand that UC could not compete financially with Notre Dame, and ulitmately if the Notre Dame job is his dream gig, is nearly impossible to compete with that.

-I think Brian Kelly, Notre Dame, and UC should've come to an agreement that would've allowed Kelly to coach in the Sugar Bowl, because despite the scenario being less and ideal and uncomfortable for many, that would give the players the best chance of winning the game.

-I still think the Bearcats have a chance to win the game.

-I don't blame the players for walking out of their meeting with Brian Kelly and for being as upset as they are, but I think Kelly ultimately did right by them when he told them he was staying in advance of the Pitt game.

-I think Brian Kelly did wrong by his players by sneaking into the banquet while a number of players answered questions about his future. I think the school should have done a better job of anticipating this possibility and headed this off before it turned into the circus it was.

-I think Brian Kelly owed it to the fan base here to simply answer some questions by the local media on behalf of a fan base that has willingly paid more for tickets to his team's games, and enthusiastically supported the Bearcats for three years. Brian Kelly has benefitted greatly from that enthusiasm. Spending ten minutes talking to local media would've done no harm.

-I think most here would've appreciated hearing Brian Kelly spend 30 seconds or so at the beginning of his press conference in South Bend talking about his former players, his former employer, and the city he used to live in. I thought Brian Kelly was smart enough to realize that. My feelings are hurt, I don't think less of Brian Kelly because of it, it's just an observation. Brian Kelly is not as PR aware or media savvy as I thought.

-Ultimately, I will remember three incredible years a lot more than I will an ugly 24 hours. Brian Kelly leaves here as one of the most important and successful sporting figures in the city's history. I wish him well at Notre Dame, and I'm excited for both the short term and long term future of UC Bearcat football.

I have now written and talked about Brian Kelly for the final time.

My self-serving rant is over. Enjoy the weekend.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Final Brian Kelly Rant.

While I really don't care about the Brian Kelly situation as it were, if you want my quick thought on it, I look at it this way: there isn't anything wrong with what he did as a career move. Who wouldn't take a better job at a better pay rate? The problem that he has to deal with regarding the fallout is that his job isn't just a job, there are young kids to think about that looked up to him and believed in him. An entire school aamof- it is an emotional situation. Kids were hurt.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm all for doing what makes you and your family happy despite what anyone else wants you to do. I do that every day. But to say in a million different press conferences that you love it here, you're not going anywhere, blah blah blah is BS. Be forthright and tell them that there is a possibility of you leaving. Don't give them a false sense of hope. Stand up and be a man. I don't know if it was his, NCAA or cincy's doing of him not coaching the bowl. I do think this gives the Bearcats a better chance of winning since they will be ****ed off.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm all for doing what makes you and your family happy despite what anyone else wants you to do. I do that every day. But to say in a million different press conferences that you love it here, you're not going anywhere, blah blah blah is BS. Be forthright and tell them that there is a possibility of you leaving. Don't give them a false sense of hope. Stand up and be a man. I don't know if it was his, NCAA or cincy's doing of him not coaching the bowl. I do think this gives the Bearcats a better chance of winning since they will be ****ed off.
    Yeah, these NCAA football coaches do that all the time. They just deny it and deny it and say that they wouldn't want to be any place else- then you wake up and hear that they took the other job.

Re a better chance to win: It could get the team so fired up that they go out and kill the other team but it can also just as easily have them so distraught and depressed that they don't care and come out and just go through the motions. You can never tell with 22 year old kids. We will see.

Threads : 5

The system is ****. Don't blame Brian Kelly for that, blame the King Makers who created the **** system.

If Brian Kelly comes out and says he's talking to Notre Dame, his players and the fans get butt hurt and start with the backlash. So he's forced to lie. The NCAA won't change their schedule to allow coaches to coach bowl games before taking new jobs. Adjust the recruiting season. Make the period between the end the regular season and the end of the bowl season a dead period.

There are a dozen different things the NCAA could do to fix this problem, but they won't. So guys like Brian Kelly are forced to sneak around behind people's backs and lie just so they don't offend anyone's delicate feelings.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kind of ironic how "new" Louisville Head coach and current Florida DC, Charlie Strong is going to coach Florida in the Sugar Bowl. I'm sure he's got work to do at Louisville, but he thinks it can wait. Notre Dame thinks their so dam special! Here's to a few more 6-6 season's in South Bend!

Threads : 94

Brian Kelly + Notre Dame = National Championship.....

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Here's to a few more 6-6 season's in South Bend!
    X2.... The Golden Domers and Touchdown Jesus will hopefully still struggle.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    X2.... The Golden Domers and Touchdown Jesus will hopefully still struggle.
    Kelly will win next year....not a championship but at least 7 probably 8 games.

sjdrewk

X 3. It won't matter if Kelly is the coach or Knute Rockne....6-6 here they come.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    Kelly will win next year....not a championship but at least 7 probably 8 games.
    I don't doubt it... First, add Kelly then add an easier schedule than they had this season and they should win... But Clausen and the top WR have said they are leaving, so that might play a part in it...

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    I don't doubt it... First, add Kelly then add an easier schedule than they had this season and they should win... But Clausen and the top WR have said they are leaving, so that might play a part in it...
    Clausen is the big loss only if Dayne Crist can't play.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information