Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Capps non-tendered!

Threads : 197

Default Capps non-tendered!

Didn't see that coming.

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...uke-capps.aspx

I really don't like the move much.
    Last edited by jnn123; Dec-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Capps non-tendered!

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't see that coming.

http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...uke-capps.aspx

I really don't like the move much.

I actually supported this move but only if there was a clear replacement for him. I just don't get the timing. If you keep him and he does well you then can trade him. The statements made about him being the closer seem odd now. Makes me not understand the Chavez trade either. I met his girlfriend last year in Douglasville GA, I imagine any interest at all by the Braves and he will be there.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    I met his girlfriend last year in Douglasville GA, I imagine any interest at all by the Braves and he will be there.
    I doubt he's a match with the Braves. I assume he wants to try to at least get similar money to what he got this year, and a chance at a late inning role. The Braves already threw big money (and the 8th and 9th innings) to Wagner and Saito. The rest of their bullpen should come from within.

Threads : 4

I don't get it, either. Getting nothing in return for him just doesn't make sense at all. I can see wanting to trade the gas can, but at least we could get a lawnmower blade in return.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If it were my money and I had to go this route, I'd probably do the same thing. I think the Pirates openly tried to move him this offseason, and once they couldn't get that done, they tried to sign him at their price. Once that couldn't be accomplished, they chose to non tender him.

I'd be willing to bet they were probably pretty far apart for Huntington to simply turn him loose. Could he have been traded for something? I'd think so, but at this point in the game, probably not. Most teams are of the mindset, why trade for him, when he'll be a free agent soon. The Braves ran into the same thing with Kelly Johnson.

My hope is they go out and sign somebody. There are still options out there. Would they sacrifice a 2nd round pick and sign Gonzalez? He scares the **** out of me. He has electric stuff, but he has never proven he could stay healthy.

This should be an interesting couple of months leading up to spring training.

Threads : 31

Just goes to show NH has total disdain for any player associated with DL with the exception of 'Cutch. Just the same, allowing Capps to walk makes little to no sense at all. The guy was an asset despite his horrible 2009 season.

Threads : 691

Pirates release Capps after failure to reach deal
    Team does not tender offer to closer, leaving him a free agent
    Sunday, December 13, 2009
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazettePirates reliever Matt CappsThe Pirates, in a stunning move, did not tender a contract offer to closer Matt Capps before the midnight deadline last night for all arbitration-eligible players and, thus, allowed him to become a free agent.

The team and player had been far apart in trying to agree on a new contract, and management decided it did not want to risk the amount Capps could be awarded through an arbitrator.

The Pirates did tender an offer to starter Zach Duke, but not to reliever Phil Dumatrait. The latter was not arbitration-eligible but was released to clear space on the 40-man roster.

General manager Neal Huntington had said twice during Major League Baseball's Winter Meetings last week that, at that time, his intention was to sign all of his arbitration-eligible players. That included Capps, even though it had become known that Huntington threatened Capps and his agent, Paul Kinzer, with a non-tender if they could not agree to a contract to the team's liking.

Huntington and Kinzer had talks this weekend but, according to one source outside the Pirates, did not come close on salary.

Capps, 26, is coming off his poorest season, recording 27 saves in 32 chances in 2009, with a 5.80 ERA in 57 appearances. He made $2.425 million in the final year of his contract and, if he had gone through the arbitration process, he surely would have gotten a raise. Almost all players get raises through arbitration.

The Pirates did not wish to pay any significant raise.

"We attempted to reach agreement with both Matt and Phil prior to the deadline," Huntington said early this morning in a statement. "Each player preferred to explore free agency. We have not closed any doors but will begin immediately to explore other opportunities to improve our bullpen."

The Pirates entertained trade offers for Capps for the better part of a month, including some discussion at the Winter Meetings, but did not find a partner and, ultimately, opted to let Capps walk away for no return because they did not feel his value would match his salary.

The move represents a significant risk for the Pirates, who already were seeking relief help and now are nearly barren in the bullpen. Of the seven spots they have to fill, only Joel Hanrahan and Evan Meek are locks.

Moreover, it represents a stark departure from Huntington's methodology of trading experienced players at their highest value -- as was the case with Jason Bay, Xavier Nady, Nate McLouth and others -- in hopes of the highest return. Capps' career is at a low point and, because he was released rather than traded, obviously, there will be no return.

Hanrahan, who closed for the Washington Nationals before being acquired in June, becomes the Pirates' default closer. He had a 1.72 ERA in 33 appearances after the trade but never closed.

In Capps' first three seasons with the Pirates, he had ERAs of 3.79, 2.28 and 3.02. He became the closer in 2007 and had 39 saves over the next two seasons. But he also had injuries to his shoulder and elbow -- none requiring surgery -- and was openly criticized by Huntington for being out of shape in 2008.

This was Capps' second year of arbitration eligibility, meaning the Pirates could have retained his rights through the 2011 season before he could declare free agency.

Capps told the Post-Gazette earlier in the week, "I know that I'd love to be in Pittsburgh. But my passion is the game of baseball, whether that's with the Pirates or someone else."

The Pirates announced these roster moves two minutes after the midnight deadline last night. Thus, no one from either side was available for comment, aside from Huntington's statement.

On Friday night, the Pirates settled with their only other arbitration-eligible player, shortstop Ronny Cedeno, on a one-year, $1.125 million contract.

That leaves Duke as their only player still on course for arbitration. The period for eligible players to file for arbitration is Jan. 5-15, the exchange of salary figures Jan. 19, and the hearings Feb. 1-21. The parties can settle amicably at any point up to the hearing.

Duke, 26, made $2.2 million in 2009 while going 11-16 with a 4.06 ERA and making the All-Star Game.

Dumatrait, 28, had a 6.92 ERA in 15 appearances, but he was one of two left-handed relievers on the 40-man roster. That area has been a glaring need since John Grabow was traded in July. The other left-hander is Donnie Veal, but he will be groomed as a starter in the minors next year.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09347...#ixzz0ZZhYqOQN
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 138

I had an idea that this was coming. This was rumored to be in the works and NH mildly denied it one day and then firmly stated that he would tender Capps the next. He also said words to the effect that "if you let it be known you are gonna non-tender someobody his value plummets." NH was trying to trade him for the past few weeks, IMO.

Threads : 215

He was jinxed by the MLB channel guy, when it started..........."You can call in after every save!".......or something of that sorts.

He does seem like a great guy and I wish him luck..........except of course, if it is against the Pirates!

Threads : 215

Are we going to trade for Chavez?

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker100 View Post
    Just goes to show NH has total disdain for any player associated with DL with the exception of 'Cutch. Just the same, allowing Capps to walk makes little to no sense at all. The guy was an asset despite his horrible 2009 season.
    Personally, I don't think it had a thing to do with whose player it was. The bottom line is Matt Capps absolutely sucked last year. Facing an arbitration hearing with him would not end up money well spent. No one knows how far apart they were as far as a dollar figure goes. I would bet it was substantial, for this to happen.

I'm not a proponent of spending money just to spend money. But I personally think they need to go out and pick up a couple bullpen arms and if they have to, they should spend a little money to secure better talent. Of course not much is available on the free agent market, so maybe a trade would be in order. One interesting name that got non tendered is Jose Arrendondo, formerly with the Angels. Even though he's out for the year this year, sign him to a 2 year deal with a minimum base for the first year. It's a gamble they probably wouldn't want to risk, but it could pay off and he's young enough to bounce back.

Threads : 158

Love this move, love this move, love this move.

In Neil I Trust. This is something DL, etc. would be far too scared to do. This takes ******.

Go Neil Go!!!

Threads : 24

Just not sure why there was no deal to get at keast a marginal prospect or two. Is Capps really not worth even that?

Threads : 94

A team….especially a team with no talent like the Pirates should not give away players. Capps was arb eligible even if he won in arb it's only a one year salary…..not that big of an investment. Is Capps worth the 3+ mil which he probably would have got… probably not but it probably would have been a good gamble to try and see if he could capture his past and then the Pirates could then off load him. This is just another case of the Pirates trying to change the system by themselves or worse the Pirates being unbelievably cheap.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This move surprises me only because of the lack of depth in the bullpen. Capps was worse than pathetic on most nights. But, maybe he wasn't healthy, he did well in 2007 and 2008 he has good stuff, but for some reason ,couldn't get it done last year. He probably wasn't worth the raise that he would have gotten in arbitration , but the FO keeps saying that they have money to spend ... Well??? Why not spend some? There had better be some deals in place to fix the bullpen or this is going to be a really ugly year in the Burgh.
    "Never interrupt the enemy when he's making a mistake" Napoleon Bonaparte

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information