Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cook hits a homerun

Threads : 94

Default Cook hits a homerun

Other than the part about the Pirates being irrelevant which I don't buy at all the article conveys a argument that just can't be over looked any more.

http://http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09348/1020804-87.stm

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cook hits a homerun

I never was a Capps fan...but...I will say that the longer this all goes on the more you have to start to ask..."When is NOW?" Yes, I know the management team has done a nice job of re-stocking the minors--especially the low minors--but the top of our system is bereft of any real talent (outside of maybe Tabata, Lincoln, and Alvarez) and our team is getting to the point with some other players: Maholm and Duke...that they could wind up like the countless before them (McLouth, Capps, Freddy, Jack...etc). If that is the case then we'll have no starting pitching staff. We have what looks to be like a terrible bullpen which assures that our pitchers, even if they pitch well, will struggle to win games. The Pirates have plenty of money to spend, but dont. They trade a young reliever--a reliever, who by the way was able to net one of the best relievers in the game for the Rays when they flipped him--for a 2B who is just as good, although cheaper, than the one we just traded. How much longer will Aki be able to play? Who is our replacement for him? We don't really have a short stop...and only D'Arnaud is lookin' like he could be our SS of the future. We don't have a 1B of the future either. AND IF the Pirates aren't going to spend to fill the holes they have--and they will ALWAYS have some holes--they will lose indefinitely.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cook lost me on this foolish statement:

So what if the Pirates let Capps go and almost certainly will head into the 2010 season without anything even remotely resembling a bullpen hammer?

Say what?

So letting Capps go, he of the 4-8 record, five blown saves and a 5.80 earned run average, is a decision to be ridiculed because we lost our "bullpen hammer"?

What a ****ing joke that is.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cook lost me on this foolish statement:

Say what?

So letting Capps go, he of the 4-8 record, five blown saves and a 5.80 earned run average, is a decision to be ridiculed because we lost our "bullpen hammer"?

What a ****ing joke that is.
    I agree that Capps wasn't much last year but he was pretty good the couple of years before.

I think his point was that you don't give a player away for nothing over a small amount of money when you have nothing left in the pen. At least that is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I agree that Capps wasn't much last year but he was pretty good the couple of years before.

I think his point was that you don't give a player away for nothing over a small amount of money when you have nothing left in the pen. At least that is my point.

And I may tend to agree with that, but what was Capps' market? Don't you think that if there was a good offer on the table that NH would've taken it?

I'd be willing to bet that if he signs with another team he's not a closer. He'll be their setup guy.

This is just another case of some Pittsburgh folks over-estimating the value of hometown teams' players. It's almost akin to people who thought we should've gotten prime 5-star prospects for Jack and Freddy.

Threads : 4

If Cook doesn't care about the Pirates any more, why bother writing this column about them? He's an idiot.

And I may tend to agree with that, but what was Capps' market? Don't you think that if there was a good offer on the table that NH would've taken it?

I'd be willing to bet that if he signs with another team he's not a closer. He'll be their setup guy.

This is just another case of some Pittsburgh folks over-estimating the value of hometown teams' players. It's almost akin to people who thought we should've gotten prime 5-star prospects for Jack and Freddy.
    NH said that Capps trade value was zero after the non tender rumors surfaced. In that case maybe the smart move would have been to take a little hit sign him try to build up his value then trade him.

Threads : 5

Capps name was linked to every single trade rumor out there last year and he was still spitting seeds in the bullpen when the season ended. I'll actually go you one better than a set up man, I think he's a situational right hander who's used mainly in middle relief, especially if his fastball stays as straight as an arrow.

Threads : 122

What annoys me about the buccos brass is they act like there are sure things regarding free agent players. they talk about 'value'.....i think the market sets the value. If you need bullpen help, and teams are signing the top free agent arms for more than you think they are worth, that doesn't mean you are right. their value is set by the market. if bullpen arms are going for 6 million a season, then that is what they are worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    What annoys me about the buccos brass is they act like there are sure things regarding free agent players. they talk about 'value'.....i think the market sets the value. If you need bullpen help, and teams are signing the top free agent arms for more than you think they are worth, that doesn't mean you are right. their value is set by the market. if bullpen arms are going for 6 million a season, then that is what they are worth.
    Very astute....the Pirates internal valuation of players only works if the other teams play by the same rules otherwise the Pirates get left out in the cold....and they corner the market on stiffs.

NH said that Capps trade value was zero after the non tender rumors surfaced. In that case maybe the smart move would have been to take a little hit sign him try to build up his value then trade him.

I was talking about his trade value et al before that got leaked.

And Mr. Pittsburgh, sure the market sets the value of players, but the market also easily overvalues players.

Zito, Park, etc ad infinitum...

Threads : 36

Cook didn't make any valid points.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    Cook didn't make any valid points.
    That's what I took from the article... but generally that's what I take from all of Cook's articles Pittsburgh's media is filled with the ****tiest columnists and writers. I don't know if any other city is bad since I don't read their papers but **** iof Pittsburgh has some of the worst columnists. Cook, Collier, Smizik, Bouchette... Starkey is about the only one that occasionally writes something half decent. I read 5 times the number of blogs that are more informative, better written with good points in it than I have probably ever read from the entire collective of Pittsburgh sports writers

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's a good chance that teams simply do not view Capps as a serious closer and Capps wants paid like he's a closer. You extend him, he fails or at best is average, you're still going to have troubles get anything resembling a decent return on a guy with a closer's contract that nobody really wants as a closer.

To me, that's really the centering issue here. Capps cannot be taken seriously as a closer and wants paid like one. You're up against the wall. his trade value is extremely low unless he has a phenominal season.

Capps hasn't been right since he went down with an injury in June 2008. He's lost considerable amount of control. I read somewhere in which Wilbur Miller was talking about Capps' decline and how it had been going for longer and how h'es been unable to add another pitch to his aresnal and has lost movement steadily on his fast ball.

I can't fault Huntington for refusing to pay Capps a closers salary when the question marks are too huge. Let's also not forget that Huntington isn't just making these decisions solely based on himself. He's talked to Joe Kerrigan and gotten the low down on Capps and where he stands now and going forward, what the expectations are and can be. Paying Capps a closers salary hurts our ability to trade him and get really much value out of it if he doesn't put up great closer numbers.

I was talking about his trade value et al before that got leaked.

And Mr. Pittsburgh, sure the market sets the value of players, but the market also easily overvalues players.

Zito, Park, etc ad infinitum...
    NH said there was interest but the rumors killed his value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information