Thread: Arians-Roethlisberger make winning pair

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Arians-Roethlisberger make winning pair

OK, the article title caught my attention.... I'm really not sure "who is helping who" in this relationship, but thought I'd post it anyway....
    ----------------------------------------------

Arians, Roethlisberger make winning pair for Seleters
    By Steve Doerschuk
    CantonRep.com staff writer
    Posted Oct 15, 2009

BEREA — Bruce Arians is a quarterback’s coordinator. Makes sense.

Long before Arians was calling plays for the Cleveland Browns and then the Pittsburgh Steelers, he played quarterback at Virginia Tech. As the quarterbacks coach in Indianapolis, Arians worked with a young Peyton Manning.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who sparred with the team’s previous coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt, has no complaints with Arians.

“I’m glad the Browns got rid of him so we could get him,” Roethlisberger said Wednesday.

Arians’ best day with the Browns might have been the 36-33 playoff game at Pittsburgh in January 2003. Or it could have been a 33-13 Sunday night winner over Pittsburgh in October 2003.

On Dec. 28, 2003, Arians stood in a Paul Brown Stadium locker room, hoping against hope that a 22-14 win over Cincinnati would save his job.

He was fired the next day.

Bill Cowher hired him three weeks later. After two years as wide receivers coach, Arians replaced Whisenhunt as coordinator in 2007.

“I’ve been blessed to have him,” Roethlisberger said. “We work well together.

“I don’t think he views his role or his job as telling me what to do. We both look at each other in terms of helping each other. He’s made me a lot better quarterback.”

Arians took over Pittsburgh’s offense when Whisenhunt, a former NFL tight end, became head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. Mike Tomlin, whose background is on defense, became Arians’ new boss.

“Our relationship has been awesome,” Tomlin said. “Bruce has done an awesome job using talent, spreading the ball around.

“The issue for us is winning, as it is for Bruce. That’s why our relationship has been so great. It’s never about stats.”

Roethlisberger’s stats are off the charts. He is on pace to top 4,700 passing yards. In five previous years as the starter, his passing totals have been 2,621, 2,385, 3,513, 3,154 and 3,301.

Through five games, Roethlisberger trails only Manning, 1,645 yards to 1,470. Roethlisberger’s passer rating is 102.6, close to the career-best 104.1 he posted the year Arians became his coordinator.

It’s a matter of trust. The best example of that materialized after Sunday’s game at Detroit got hairy.

Roethlisberger had just thrown a pick-6 to Detroit’s William James, cutting a first-half lead to 14-13.

Wearing a strange smile as he walked off the field after the interception, Roethlisberger went straight to Arians. He basically asked if he could call the plays on the next series, running a no-huddle.

Arians said yes. Tomlin said yes.

Roethlisberger deduced that the Lions couldn’t cover Heath Miller, hitting the tight end with three passes covering 30 yards. He was 4-for-4 on the drive after throwing a 17-yard touchdown strike to Hines Ward.

Roethlisberger is ruthless when the Steelers get inside the 20, delivering touchdowns in Pittsburgh’s last eight red-zone possessions.

His completion percentage is a league-best 73.8. Only he and Manning are in the 70s.

“I’m not satisfied,” he said. “I don’t think I’m playing well.”

What happens if Arians really figures out how to use him?

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x536...r-for-Steelers
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If he was so great,why is it that no one has hired him away from us??He hasn't even been offered an interview.What does that say??

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he was so great,why is it that no one has hired him away from us??He hasn't even been offered an interview.What does that say??
    It says that the CantonRep.com author is out of his mind....

..... When I first saw the article, I thought "you gotta be kidding me!"
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll give Bruce a little credit this year. He seems to be slowly "getting it". He hasn't been purposely running into walls with stubborness and he's actually admitting mistakes like going too conservative or too pass happy. Overall he seems to be providing a pretty good and effective mix and has finally realized or maybe convinced Tomlin that this is a pass first offense now that needs the pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

Time will tell but it's been strange how I feel confident every time the offense steps on the field. they've moved the ball well in every game, the first couple games, they hit walls and weren't putting up points. They're putting up points since.... On the other side, when the defense gets on the field I don't think they can stop anyone
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Note: Kip gives BA credit.

October 15, 2009 1:31pm

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

I'll give Bruce a little credit this year. He seems to be slowly "getting it". He hasn't been purposely running into walls with stubborness and he's actually admitting mistakes like going too conservative or too pass happy. Overall he seems to be providing a pretty good and effective mix and has finally realized or maybe convinced Tomlin that this is a pass first offense now that needs the pass to set up the run, not the other way around.

Time will tell but it's been strange how I feel confident every time the offense steps on the field. they've moved the ball well in every game, the first couple games, they hit walls and weren't putting up points. They're putting up points since.... On the other side, when the defense gets on the field I don't think they can stop anyone
    You been talking to Pete?

We need a new coach to hate. Even Yeo, the PP is running fairly smoothly.

Threads : 135

Ben makes Ben a winner. Arians just gets in the way.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    You been talking to Pete?

We need a new coach to hate. Even Yeo, the PP is running fairly smoothly.
    Hell no. I'm not going to blame Tomlin for a bad game plan devised by Tomlin, bad schemes and playcalling. That's on arians as far as I'm concerned

But... the things we all ***** about..

1. Not using the TE enough
    2. running on 1st and 2nd down too often
    3. Running most plays up the middle
    4. Using the run to set up the pass.
    5. running when it's not working

Bruce hasn't been doing this much this year for whatever reason.

Naturally though, we can't have both the offense and defense clicking at the same time, so we at least have stuff to ***** about
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 407

Default Re: Arians-Roethlisberger make winning pair

Wearing a strange smile as he walked off the field after the interception, Roethlisberger went straight to Arians. He basically asked if he could call the plays on the next series, running a no-huddle.

Arians said yes. Tomlin said yes.

That statement tells me a lot...about Ben.

I'm not saying turn the reigns over to him, but we sure could do the no huddle more often, to really put teams away, once we have a lead, just totally dismantle them and demoralize them.

Threads : 10

Hell no. I'm not going to blame Tomlin for a bad game plan devised by Tomlin, bad schemes and playcalling. That's on arians as far as I'm concerned

But... the things we all ***** about..

1. Not using the TE enough
    2. running on 1st and 2nd down too often
    3. Running most plays up the middle
    4. Using the run to set up the pass.
    5. running when it's not working

Bruce hasn't been doing this much this year for whatever reason.

Naturally though, we can't have both the offense and defense clicking at the same time, so we at least have stuff to ***** about

You forgot not using a full back.

Threads : 22

Kip... maybe you are just lovin' the offense this year because the D hasn't looked as sharp. Kind of like taking the "prettier" of two ugly chicks

Threads : 122

Only reason Ben loves Arians is because Arians finally took the harnesses off of Ben a little bit. Whiz and Cowher had the dude throwing on 3rd down only most the time (yes, I know that is an exaggeration but you get the point).

Ben likes being "in charge".... Arians is just too freakin' stupid to produce a better plan than Ben..... Maybe Ben should get Arian's salary and we ****-can Brucie-boy.....

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Ben likes being "in charge".... Arians is just too freakin' stupid to produce a better plan than Ben..... Maybe Ben should get Arian's salary and we ****-can Brucie-boy.....

Can I get an AMEN????

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Only if doesn't count against the cap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information