Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On the Steelers: 'We're just trying to beat Green Bay'

Threads : 691

Default On the Steelers: 'We're just trying to beat Green Bay'

On the Steelers: 'We're just trying to beat Green Bay'
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Gene J. Puskar/Associated PressSteelers linebackers James Farrior, left, and James Harrison.A "pretty upset" Mike Tomlin addressed his team yesterday as the Steelers try to put the skids on a five-game losing streak while pondering what precisely has gone wrong for the Super Bowl champs.

Judging by two key members of their defense, it's mysterious, and the main job ahead of the players is erasing the doubt that has crept into the locker room and regaining the confidence they had when they were 6-2.

"It could be settling in," defensive co-captain James Farrior said. "We're doing everything we can to fight it because we have to go out and play these next three games and we can't have anybody doubting that we can win a game. We know we can win a game, but being in a situation like this is pretty tough, to think you might not be capable of winning a game. But we definitely have the athletes in here who can do it. We've proven it in the past. We just have to go out and prove it again."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Farrior said the Steelers no longer look at their odds at making the playoffs, which remain alive but slim.

"We stopped doing that. We did that a few games ago, looking at the rest of the schedule and saying if we win out and all that stuff. Man, we're just trying to beat Green Bay. That's what we've gotten to now."[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Injured Troy Polamalu has watched the nightmare unfold from the sideline the past four games. He believes many things have placed his team in its current plight at 6-7 with three games left.

"Throughout the whole team there are little things," Polamalu said. "It's not just turnovers, it's preventing turnovers, it's stopping kickoff returns for touchdowns, it's making catches, it's mental errors, it's everything throughout the team that's kind of accumulated and put us in the position we are currently."

Tomlin gathered his players together yesterday morning and delivered his latest message.

"He was pretty upset about these losses that are coming up," Farrior said. "He feels like it's more on us than anything else and that's the most frustrating thing about it."

The motivation for the players this week comes in different forms.

"You're playing for your job," Farrior said. "Basically when you're in this situation right here, when you're on a team that playoffs are looking bad and you have more games to play, you're really playing trying to solidify your job and establish yourself and make sure you're doing everything you can to be around next year."

There is more for a team that has not won in Heinz Field since Oct. 25.

"Play for pride, play for the fans," Farrior said. "We feel like we let the fans down. They can't even come to a home game to see a winning performance at home. That's bad.

"Play for your family. You want to go out there and play good and represent your name, you want to represent your team, play for the Steelers. There is plenty of stuff to play for and if you can't find something, then you got a problem."

Farrior, one of six captains on the team, said they have not held or scheduled a team meeting to discuss ways to combat the losing, nor the creeping doubt.

"No, we're at a loss, too. I've never been in a situation like this and I've been searching for answers just like everybody else. I feel a special responsibility because I'm a captain. I feel like it's more on the older guys who have been in this locker room. We've been around. We might not have been in this situation but we've been playing football long enough that we can get out of holes like this or get out of something like this. It's been tough on me and the rest of the captains, too."

Farrior said he still believes the effort has been put forth by his teammates, but that their confidence likely has been scarred during the losing streak.

"It's definitely something that goes with winning and we haven't been winning games, so the confidence level just can't be as high as it can be."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09349...#ixzz0ZlWKb2AU
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: On the Steelers: 'We're just trying to beat Green Bay'

Just out of curiousity,does anyone know who the rest of the team captains are??

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aaron Rodgers and his giant schnaz are going to light up our defense like the ****ing Griswold house.

They're a team fighting to stay in the playoffs; no reason we should get past them.
    Hate to say. If we DO beat them, I'm almost going to be ****ed off at the other chances lost. But it's been that kind of season.

Threads : 22

<< Just out of curiousity,does anyone know who the rest of the team captains are??
    >>

I believe Chicken Little and the Gopher from "Caddyshack"-

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by pittfannyc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    << Just out of curiousity,does anyone know who the rest of the team captains are??
    >>

I believe Chicken Little and the Gopher from "Caddyshack"-
    Can they play defense??

Threads : 22

<< Can they play defense??
    <<

All depends. Against an Arian's offense?

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

At this point, I hope we lose every game left to improve our draft.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCar86 View Post
    Aaron Rodgers and his giant schnaz are going to light up our defense like the ****ing Griswold house.

They're a team fighting to stay in the playoffs; no reason we should get past them.
    Hate to say. If we DO beat them, I'm almost going to be ****ed off at the other chances lost. But it's been that kind of season.
    For some reason i think the D will be the side that plays well in this game.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    For some reason i think the D will be the side that plays well in this game.
    I really hope you're right. This could be very ugly, otherwise.

Threads : 407

Quote from the article:

[HIGH-LIGHT]"He was pretty upset about these losses that are coming up," [/HIGH-LIGHT]Farrior said. "He feels like it's more on us than anything else and that's the most frustrating thing about it."

The motivation for the players this week comes in different forms.

"You're playing for your job," Farrior said. "Basically when you're in this situation right here, when you're on a team that playoffs are looking bad and you have more games to play, you're really playing trying to solidify your job and establish yourself and make sure you're doing everything you can to be around next year."

He already knows they are going to lose? He comes out and gives the team hell, wonder if he did the same in a coaches meeting, hopefully some of them are not coaching for a job here, somewhere else maybe, but not here.

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[HIGH-LIGHT]"He was pretty upset about these losses that are coming up," Farrior said. "He feels like it's more on us than anything else and that's the most frustrating thing about it."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

This part struck me as odd...Is Farrior kinda saying that he believes these losses should be on the Coaches? Not that I disagree with him to some point, but I just find it odd he said that
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCar86 View Post

Hate to say. If we DO beat them, I'm almost going to be [HIGH-LIGHT]****ed off at the other chances lost.[/HIGH-LIGHT] But it's been that kind of season.
    You ain't kiddin'!!!! A clear case of playing down (or up) to the level of the competition...I'm still trying to wake up from this nightmare of a season

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]"He was pretty upset about these losses that are coming up," Farrior said. "He feels like it's more on us than anything else and that's the most frustrating thing about it."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

This part struck me as odd...Is Farrior kinda saying that he believes these losses should be on the Coaches? Not that I disagree with him to some point, but I just find it odd he said that

Reading between the lines it sounds as if Farrior is resigned to losing the next three games because he and the team have no faith in the coaching staff.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    he and the team have no faith in the coaching staff.
    ... I have no faith in the coaching staff either...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

That statement from Farrior also makes me wonder if the team didn't decide, "**** him, we'll lose every game so his lame *** gets fired."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information