Thread: Hood among those ready to step up

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hood among those ready to step up

Hood among those ready to step up
    Thursday, October 15, 2009
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Without Aaron Smith in the lineup first-round pick Ziggy Hood will get a chance to prove what he can do. While Hood hasn’t been tabbed as Smith’s replacement, that job will be shared by Travis Kirschke, Nick Eason and Hood, he will definitely see more playing time.

“This is his time to step in and show everybody why they drafted him so high and the good player he is,” said Farrior. “I am sure Ziggy is going to take heed to what Mike Tomlin is saying and he is going to bring it.”

Hood knows he still has a lot of work to do to get his game where he wants it to be, but he has made a lot of progress since training camp and improves weekly.

“I feel pretty good for right now,” said Hood. “There is a lot more to work on. With time it will grow. As games go on I will pick it up more and start to develop my own skills and techniques where it helps me on the field.”

[HIGH-LIGHT]* * *[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Smith’s absence is going to be felt by his teammates who count on him not just for leadership, but for being an anchor for the defense.

“He is one of the best players on the team,” said Farrior. “Our defense goes where he goes. Everybody has to pick their game up and rally around Aaron being out of the game. No matter who goes in the game our expectations don’t change. We have been like that around here for years and years, before I even got here so we don’t expect anything to change.”

Hood has relied heavily on Smith’s leadership and advice, learning from him daily, and knows that even though Smith won’t be on the field with them for the remainder of the season, he still will provide plenty of guidance.

“It’s hard to replace somebody like Big A because he is a leader on the line,” said Hood. “We are losing a crafty vet who knows a lot about the game. With him gone, he will be on the sidelines helping us in case he sees something. He may see something or call something we may not have and aid us when we need it.”

[HIGH-LIGHT]* * *[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The Steelers lost two games this season, Chicago and Cincinnati, by giving up leads late in the game, and had to fight off late surges by San Diego and Detroit to come away with two wins.

It’s not something that the players are used to, and it’s not something they are happy about.

“I think we have to pick things up as a defense period,” said linebacker LaMarr Woodley. “These last few weeks letting teams score on us in the fourth quarter, we can’t do.

“It’s a little frustrating because we allow teams to stay around and to play with us in the fourth quarter, having a lot of mistakes throughout the game. You let teams stay around in the fourth quarter and it makes it a close game.”

The defense is used to protecting the lead and being a dominant force, especially after leading the league last year. It’s something they are hoping to fix soon.

“It’s frustrating as a defensive player to know when we have the lead at the end of the game we are supposed to win,” said Farrior. “We haven’t always done that this season. We won a couple, but teams have been scoring on us. It’s a concern, but as long as we get the win it’s something we can go back and look at. But when you lose games at the end it becomes a concern.”

[HIGH-LIGHT]* * * [/HIGH-LIGHT]

Polamalu returned to practice on Wednesday, going full strength for the first time since he suffered an MCL injury in the season-opener against the Titans.

“I feel good, thank God,” said Polamalu, who is eager to play on Sunday against the Browns, and hopes to it all goes well in practice.

Polamalu has been a spectator the last four weeks, something he admitted wasn’t as tough as he thought.

“I really enjoy watching my brothers play out there,” said Polamalu. “I really feel like I am out there anyway. I ride the emotional rollercoaster of wins and losses if I played or didn’t play.

“Of course I want to play. I really enjoy being out there. But my role just changed a little bit, trying to help those guys on the sidelines rather than on the field with them.”

Running back Willie Parker (toe) returned to practice on Wednesday as well. Trai Essex (ankle), Farrior (elbow), Andre Frazier (thigh) and Kirschke (back) did not practice.

http://steelers.com/article/112240/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hood knows he still has a lot of work to do to get his game where he wants it to be, but he has made a lot of progress since training camp and improves weekly.
    I wonder what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what that means.
    Personally, I take it as nothing more than a "rookie" thing... Sure, he was our #1 pick, but rooks still have a learning curve regardless of draft position.

Traditionally, we haven't had to require our rooks to play and perform too much their first year so maybe we (fans) aren't used to seeing the "growing pains" associated with it to the extent that it really can be.... I don't know...

... Anyway, the last time I remember the team needing a rook to step-in due to injury was Ben, and he did quite well.... I'm hoping for a similar occurance.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Personally, I take it as nothing more than a "rookie" thing... Sure, he was our #1 pick, but rooks still have a learning curve regardless of draft position.

Traditionally, we haven't had to require our rooks to play and perform too much their first year so maybe we (fans) aren't used to seeing the "growing pains" associated with it to the extent that it really can be.... I don't know...

... Anyway, the last time I remember the team needing a rook to step-in due to injury was Ben, and he did quite well.... I'm hoping for a similar occurance.
    How tough is it though, to get up to speed as a DL?

It's not like LB's who need to read formations or D-backs who live or die on being able to read formations and routes.

You do 2 things - in this order:

a) Out push the fat guy in front of you.
    b) Take the guy with the football down.

It's not like LB's who need to read formations or D-backs who live or die on being able to read formations and routes.

I dunno.... If I did, I wouldn't be sitting on the couch...

.... Seriously though, it's gotta be a "step-up" in size, speed, and strength... As well as learning the schemes and getting used to the NFL.... Maybe that's all rationalization, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till specifically told otherwise.

I dunno.... If I did, I wouldn't be sitting on the couch...

.... Seriously though, it's gotta be a "step-up" in size, speed, and strength... As well as learning the schemes and getting used to the NFL.... Maybe that's all rationalization, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt till specifically told otherwise.
    I mean sure, there's some technique involved and you need to be able to read base plays or understand what your D is running at the time, but it can't be as complicated as the other roles on the defense.

Well... Maybe they just don't want to give him too much "head strong" confidence.... Either way, I think we all will know where he stands and how he's doing very soon.

.... I'm hoping for big things.... Cleveland just might be the right type of "first game" for him... Minn the following week will be a different story.

Well... Maybe they just don't want to give him too much "head strong" confidence.... Either way, I think we all will know where he stands and how he's doing very soon.

.... I'm hoping for big things.... Cleveland just might be the right type of "first game" for him... Minn the following week will be a different story.
    Right, I'm thinking the exact same thing about queebland.

Unless things go terribly wrong somewhere along the line, Ziggy should be on the field 24/7. This is better than a preseason game.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a lot that goes into being a "5 technique" DT/DE in the 3-4. It is a lot more than just pushing the fat guy back. There is a great deal of "hand work" (similar to sumo wrestlers) that needs to be perfected. I believe this was a knock on Ziggy throughout preseason, and something that makes Smith one of the best in the league.

I believe Ziggy worked primarily as a 4-3 DT/DE in college where penetration is key. Just knock the guy infront of you backwards and get into the backfield.

In the 3-4, it's all about "gap responsibility," owning the 1yd zone on either side of the LOS, keeping contain, and tackling the running back....same can be said in passing situations: you cant lose contain of your gap, just collapse the pocket or eat a double team until a LB/DB (blitzer) get's the "money shot." (yeah, I said money shot)

Smith will be missed!!!

Default Re: Hood among those ready to step up

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    There is a lot that goes into being a "5 technique" DT/DE in the 3-4. It is a lot more than just pushing the fat guy back. There is a great deal of "hand work" (similar to sumo wrestlers) that needs to be perfected. I believe this was a knock on Ziggy throughout preseason, and something that makes Smith one of the best in the league.

I believe Ziggy worked primarily as a 4-3 DT/DE in college where penetration is key. Just knock the guy infront of you backwards and get into the backfield.

In the 3-4, it's all about "gap responsibility," owning the 1yd zone on either side of the LOS, keeping contain, and tackling the running back....same can be said in passing situations: you cant lose contain of your gap, just collapse the pocket or eat a double team until a LB/DB (blitzer) get's the "money shot." (yeah, I said money shot)

Smith will be missed!!!
    Ok, fair enough and great reply.

But how long would you think it would take a DT to ramp up on technique and wouldn't the stains game be a great opportunity for a first-rounder like Hood to get some field time in?

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But how long would you think it would take a DT to ramp up on technique and wouldn't the stains game be a great opportunity for a first-rounder like Hood to get some field time in?
    I unfortunately cant answer that question...it depends on the playe. I agree, this is a great opportunity to get Zigs some "live" action.

I would love to see Ziggy get in there and own that spot (I know his "raw athleticism" is an upgrade over both Smith and Keisel). I'm sure he would add a much needed pass rush from the 5 tech. that we've been missing (for the most part).

However, I think that Kirschke is more "schooled" in the gap responsibilities that are necessary to hold down the 5 technique in Lebeau's D...that said, I expect to see more of him than Ziggy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm praying that Ziggy is the ultimate answer and becomes the next "great" Stillers' defender!

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post

Smith will be missed!!!
    Exactly and also...IMO...experience and tricks of the trade, studying your opponents, finding their weaknesses and strengths, knowing their tendencies, learning QB's cadence....and way more **** than what we would even imagine.

I recall listening to a DE one day one the radio who had recently retired (several years ago), forget who it was, but he figured out when a QB (he wouldn't say who it was at the time because it was the playoffs and that QB was playing) was going to pass after a few snaps in a game because the QB always tapped or lifted his foot on pass plays right before the snap. He said all he had to do was watch his foot and knew if is was a run or pass.

I too though think that the Stains game will be a great chance for Ziggy to get invalueable experience.

Threads : 691

I'm with Chuck on this one. A number 1 pick on the "D"-line should be ready to start NOW! I'm probably the most patient and level headed guy in the world when it comes to the Steelers. The sky is not falling when they lose a game,I defended Troy,Timmons,Mendy and even Sweed,when many were calling them busts.
    I gotta say,it does concern me that Ziggy isn't the choice to replace Smith. Now maybe Tomlin doesn't want to come out and say the job is his,and he will still get the majority of the snaps. If not it could be one of two things. 1-Tomlin is like Cowher, and is loyal to veterans, sometimes to a fault or 2-they had a "need at "D"-line and reached for Hood although at number 32 it would be hard to fault the Steelers on that.
    Or maybe it's number 3-Hood needs a little work,he gets some reps,grows,and turns into a very good player,and shows I don't know what the **** I'm talking about.

Threads : 102

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    I'm with Chuck on this one. A number 1 pick on the "D"-line should be ready to start NOW! I'm probably the most patient and level headed guy in the world when it comes to the Steelers. The sky is not falling when they lose a game,I defended Troy,Timmons,Mendy and even Sweed,when many were calling them busts.
    I gotta say,it does concern me that Ziggy isn't the choice to replace Smith. Now maybe Tomlin doesn't want to come out and say the job is his,and he will still get the majority of the snaps. If not it could be one of two things. 1-Tomlin is like Cowher, and is loyal to veterans, sometimes to a fault or 2-they had a "need at "D"-line and reached for Hood although at number 32 it would be hard to fault the Steelers on that.
    Or maybe it's number 3-Hood needs a little work,he gets some reps,grows,and turns into a very good player,and shows I don't know what the **** I'm talking about.

Would you ****ed ray if I told you I was pulling for #3?

I say give him some time. I don´t care who you are, but being the #1 pick for the defending champs has to be a bit intimidating as well.
    Plus, the guy is a rookie being integrated into a defense coordinated by probably the best D-coordinater the game has ever seen. This isn´t college ball anymore.

Threads : 413

The kharma is on our side here. Think about it. Our 1st rd pick is a DE and that's the position we lose to injury. I mean it could have been a CB to go on IR, but instead it's the position we drafted for. I think Hood will grow into a pretty decent DE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information