Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin just doesn't seem to get it

Threads : 49

Default Mike Tomlin just doesn't seem to get it

Last night I checked out Tomlin's PC from Tuesday. A couple things I noticed -

1. Tomlin looks like he's completely shell-shocked right now. Can't say I blame him.

2. Tomlin was talking about the 3rd and 1 play against the Browns and said that if Ward hadn't tripped on the play it's a first down. He also mentioned Hartwig getting beat and Miller being covered really well, I'm not sure if this was all on the same play or a different 3rd down play. In any case, this is where Tomlin just doesn't get it, IMO, and why Steeler fans everywhere should be a little worried.

Basically what Tomlin is saying, from what I can tell, is that the players need to simply execute better. Nothing about coaching philosophies changing, no second guessing the playcalling, nothing about "Yeah, it probably would've been a better call to run it there since Mendy had a 5 and 4 yard run right before that", simply that the players need to make the plays and maybe get some breaks in the process.

That's not good. It also could mean that if the Steeler offenses puts up points in these last three games, Arians stays. Maybe I'm reading too much into these comments, but who knows? Tomlin this season has indeed become the master bull****ter. Week after week it's the same thing on the field. Players need to play better, coaches can just keep doing the same **** they've done all year....Not a good sign for the future.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike Tomlin just doesn't seem to get it

I read it and thought the same thing. He had an excuse (i mean reason) for everything.

*shakes head*
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read it and thought the same thing. He had an excuse (i mean reason) for everything.

*shakes head*
    Man, I thought this was the most "down to earth" comments he's made... Still no excuse for what has happened, but at least it wasn't filled with too much rhetorec IMO... Hell, he's gotta answer the questions, doesn't he?

... Nothing he says right now holds any weight whatsoever for me, but at least it wasn't a bunch of "Tomlinisms" this time.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anything Tomlin says now besides apologies and MAKING REAL CHANGES is just...

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Anything Tomlin says now besides apologies and MAKING REAL CHANGES is just...

http://www.theboombox.com/2009/12/14...?icid=blogtab1

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Man, I thought this was the most "down to earth" comments he's made... Still no excuse for what has happened, but at least it wasn't filled with too much rhetorec IMO... Hell, he's gotta answer the questions, doesn't he?

... Nothing he says right now holds any weight whatsoever for me, but at least it wasn't a bunch of "Tomlinisms" this time.
    I can agree with your assessment as well. There was no unleash hell unleash hell, or we'll make changes.

But, for me, as soon as he opens with Hines slipped, Heath was blocked blah blah, that did it for me.

But yes, as far as down to earth is concerned, he was. Not a lot of hot air bull**** this time around. I would imagine at some point, he would become embarassed to spout that same **** week after week, loss after loss.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Oh I agree, but that's what concerns me. This PC seemed to be the most open Tomlin has been, I think part of that is because maybe he doesn't know what else to do at this point? I think it's very possible that this PC is as close as we've come as fans into the what goes on between the coaches and maybe the players as well. I mean I can picture Tomlin and Arians going over the game film from the Browns debacle and Arians pointing out to Tomlin that if Ward didn't trip IT'S A FIRST DOWN! It's not the ****ty call, Mike! It's Ward tripping up on the play!! Player execution!!

That's pretty frightening if that's what's going on right now in between games. And if that is indeed the case we Steeler fans could be in for a long haul over these next couple years.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    That's pretty frightening if that's what's going on right now in between games. And if that is indeed the case we Steeler fans could be in for a long haul over these next couple years.
    Yes, if in fact that is happening, we are in store for a long ice age... I agree with that.

But... Are we, as fans, starting to put scenerios into play that might not be there?

... Man, I am just as freakin' ****ed as the next guy... I've ran-out of explanations, have grown tired of debating about the HC, and am just generally ****ed...

But the bottom line is that none of us know what is going on at the UPMC complex during the week. None of us know what is being said between the coaches. None of us know pretty much anything.

We are guessing and commenting upon our guesses.... I agree with alot of it, and am just as ****ed as anyone... But the fact is that we are just along for the ride at this point....

Basically, I guess I have no real point in this post.... Other than being a Steelers fan.

Beyond that, I expect changes for all of us that support them.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

When Tomlin talked about unleashing hell in December, I interpreted it as an open challenge to the players, kind of like fassel guaranteeing that the giants would make the playoffs quite a few years ago.
    When the team didn't respond he seemed(s) blown away trying to find answers to a season of lost opportunities.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Yes, if in fact that is happening, we are in store for a long ice age... I agree with that.

But... Are we, as fans, starting to put scenerios into play that might not be there?

... Man, I am just as freakin' ****ed as the next guy... I've ran-out of explanations, have grown tired of debating about the HC, and am just generally ****ed...

But the bottom line is that none of us know what is going on at the UPMC complex during the week. None of us know what is being said between the coaches. None of us know pretty much anything.

We are guessing and commenting upon our guesses.... I agree with alot of it, and am just as ****ed as anyone... But the fact is that we are just along for the ride at this point....

Basically, I guess I have no real point in this post.... Other than being a Steelers fan.

Beyond that, I expect changes for all of us that support them.
    Obviously I am guessing at a scenario. But I hate to say it but I think it's a pretty good educated guess. Let's see, a very young, still somewhat inexperienced head coach with a defensive background and a chronically stubborn, borderline dumb OC going over gamefilm...Then Tomlin talks at his PC about the 3rd and 1 play as if it was good call, just bad player execution. Sounds about right to me.

Our only hope is management nudging Arians out of his job or him retiring him.

It's obvious that Tomlin isn't going to do it by himself, IMO. He's been way to timid and indecisive about making any significant changes at all this year. It's really hard to picture him just abruptly firing Arians by himself at the end of the year. Especially considering Arians "special" relationship to Ben. Tomlin seems to have a total hands-off approach to the vets on this team, which is probably one reason they didn't respond to his "unleash hell" speech. No respect, and yet Tomlin respects these guys way too much to do any kind of change. Of course that's pure speculation on my part.

Threads : 60

Last night I checked out Tomlin's PC from Tuesday. A couple things I noticed -

1. Tomlin looks like he's completely shell-shocked right now. Can't say I blame him.

2. Tomlin was talking about the 3rd and 1 play against the Browns and said that if Ward hadn't tripped on the play it's a first down. He also mentioned Hartwig getting beat and Miller being covered really well, I'm not sure if this was all on the same play or a different 3rd down play. In any case, this is where Tomlin just doesn't get it, IMO, and why Steeler fans everywhere should be a little worried.

Basically what Tomlin is saying, from what I can tell, is that the players need to simply execute better. Nothing about coaching philosophies changing, no second guessing the playcalling, nothing about "Yeah, it probably would've been a better call to run it there since Mendy had a 5 and 4 yard run right before that", simply that the players need to make the plays and maybe get some breaks in the process.

That's not good. It also could mean that if the Steeler offenses puts up points in these last three games, Arians stays. Maybe I'm reading too much into these comments, but who knows? Tomlin this season has indeed become the master bull****ter. Week after week it's the same thing on the field. Players need to play better, coaches can just keep doing the same **** they've done all year....Not a good sign for the future.
    Of course he doesn't get it. This is the same guy that a few weeks ago failed miserably on a 4th and 1 call then went to the press conference and when questioned about it told everyone that if he had to do it again he wouldn't change a thing .

Threads : 82

For one thing there is not really much he can say at the point that is going to make everyone happy. You have to understand this. I think he is handling it fairly well. There are some pretty famous moments where coaches just lost it in conferences, he hasn't gone there nor do I expect him to. And I do agree that execution on the players part is the biggest problem right now. Whether you like or agree with the coaches or not they did well enough to get us in the play offs. Miscues on the players part is what is adding up to all these loses imo. I don't point the blame at any one thing nor do I let anyone off the hook but you have to look at the big picture here.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    For one thing there is not really much he can say at the point that is going to make everyone happy. You have to understand this. I think he is handling it fairly well. There are some pretty famous moments where coaches just lost it in conferences, he hasn't gone there nor do I expect him to. And I do agree that execution on the players part is the biggest problem right now. Whether you like or agree with the coaches or not they did well enough to get us in the play offs. Miscues on the players part is what is adding up to all these loses imo. I don't point the blame at any one thing nor do I let anyone off the hook but you have to look at the big picture here.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This.
    No.

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo