Thread: A recipie for disaster...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A recipie for disaster...

The biggest failure this season, as I see it, has been the defense. Yes, Arians has to go, because of deplorable redzone playcalling that leaves too many points on the field, but the defense has blown 5 fourth quarter leads(3 times in one game) which has led to a 6-7 record.
    The main culprits that have put us where we are, would be age and injuries. It is painfully obvious from watching this seasons games that quite a few players have lost a step or two, most notably, James Farrior and Casey Hampton. Injuries to Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu have only added to the misery.
    Polamalu, who seems able to be in three places at one time when healthy, is good enough at what he does to make up for the loss of physical abilities in some of the other players. Imo, that's why his absence seems to make such a drastic difference in the performance of the defense as opposed to how the defense plays when he is in the game. For instance, Ryan Clark looks like an entirely different player when Troy is lined up beside him. He lays people out and plays with the ferocity that he has lacked since Troy has been injured.
    This defense has to get younger and more athletic in a hurry. The Steelers need to surround Troy with fresh talent and they need to begin that process with this upcoming draft. The Steelers need to say good-bye to guys like Deshea Townsend, Tyrone Carter, Casey Hampton, and yes, James Farrior, to make room for younger players like Keenan Lewis, Joe Burnett, Ziggy Hood, Keyaron Fox and Ra'Shon Harris. With a focus on defense in this years draft, I think the defense can bounce back rather quickly to where 4th quarter leads will feel safe again. Besides Dick LeBeau needs a young crop of athletic defenders to work his magic with.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 691

Default Re: A recipie for disaster...

I agree with everything you say,except I feel it will take several drafts to accomplish replacing all the 30+ players.Here are the ages next year of some starting defenders: Casey Hampton, 33; Brett Keisel, 32; Aaron Smith, 34; James Farrior, 35; James Harrison, 32; Ike Taylor, 30; Ryan Clark, 31. And the ages of their top replacements: Tyrone Carter, 34; Deshea Townsend, 35; Travis Kirschke, 36; Chris Hoke, 34; Nick Eason, 30.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

****, this defense is a helluva lot older than I thought. It is almost a geriatric unit unto itself

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Troy's absence has accounted for a lot of those 4th quarter collapses. He's the only member of the Steelers secondary that can actually catch the ball. Think about how many interceptions that our secondary players dropped after having their hands on the ball. Those dropped interceptions would have put an end to many of those comebacks. I also believe that Lawrence Timmons has been a downgrade at ILB. The Steelers needed more than just a flash here and there from him. His play is way too inconsistent for my liking.

Couple that with the fact that the Steelers offense failed to put touchdowns on the board during their numerous redzone trips . With Troy and Aaron Smith out of the lineup, the offense should have felt an urgency to put more points up. That's the way it goes though, that's football for you.

I believe that ultimately, Timmons is going to be one of the better ILB's in the league, although I think he is much better suited to play outside. I wonder if the move to the inside was just a way to get him on the field full time?
    I would really love this upcoming draft to be defense focused, mainly D-Line and DB's, although maybe that's not practical. Either way, we have to get younger on this side of the ball and I am thinking Carlos Dunlap would be a good start.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ****, this defense is a helluva lot older than I thought. It is almost a geriatric unit unto itself
    x2 that puts into perspective. I am still surprised Farrior was extended. That looks like a huge mistake now. Especially when we have guy in Fox that personally I would love to see in a starting role. No way you can fix this in one off season. Sure some of those old guys will be around for a few more years but still. Who the hell is going to replace Big Snack anyway? Maybe Hokey Pokey could do it next year but he is certainly no long term solution. Do you think DL will even stick around to oversee this rebuilding process? A lot of scary things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Troy's absence has accounted for a lot of those 4th quarter collapses. He's the only member of the Steelers secondary that can actually catch the ball. Think about how many interceptions that our secondary players dropped after having their hands on the ball. Those dropped interceptions would have put an end to many of those comebacks. I also believe that Lawrence Timmons has been a downgrade at ILB. The Steelers needed more than just a flash here and there from him. His play is way too inconsistent for my liking.

Couple that with the fact that the Steelers offense failed to put touchdowns on the board during their numerous redzone trips . With Troy and Aaron Smith out of the lineup, the offense should have felt an urgency to put more points up. That's the way it goes though, that's football for you.
    One thing is clear to me they need to spend this early 1st round pick on a studly playmaking DB. Good hands should be high on the resume and plan on using him 1st game of 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    One thing is clear to me they need to spend this early 1st round pick on a studly playmaking DB. Good hands should be high on the resume and plan on using him 1st game of 2010.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

I think LeBeau will stick around for at least one more year. This is only my opinion, but I think he has too much pride in his work to go out like this. I am thinking that he is only gonna leave when he believes that his best work is behind him.
    As much as I like Dunlop, you're right Beez, the 1st pick has to be a shutdown corner with good hands. If Taylor catches 3/4 of the balls he has dropped, he's looked at as being a top corner in the NFL. There's not a QB in this league that's afraid to challenge Ike, because they know he can't catch. Lately though you can add covering to the list of things that Taylor can't do. We have to draft his replacement this year.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe that ultimately, Timmons is going to be one of the better ILB's in the league, although I think he is much better suited to play outside. I wonder if the move to the inside was just a way to get him on the field full time?
    I would really love this upcoming draft to be defense focused, mainly D-Line and DB's, although maybe that's not practical. Either way, we have to get younger on this side of the ball and I am thinking Carlos Dunlap would be a good start.
    Just a thought but, how about moving Harrison inside and Timmons opposite of Woodley?

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's ALL MY FAULT (LOL)...Prior to the season, I mentioned the fact that #91 was getting more injury prone (I was corrected by many, in that, he's only had ONE "serious" injury throughout his career)....Well guess what?, two "serious" injuries at the "5 tech" in a 3-4 Defense is the END!!! The 5 technique is probably one of the most physical positions known to football (not to mention the weight that the player has to carry to succeed)... I can only hope that Aaron Smith can make another run next year, if anything just to be a mentor!

-UNLESS- of course we transition to 4-3?

I think LeBeau will stick around for at least one more year. This is only my opinion, but I think he has too much pride in his work to go out like this. I am thinking that he is only gonna leave when he believes that his best work is behind him.
    As much as I like Dunlop, you're right Beez, the 1st pick has to be a shutdown corner with good hands. If Taylor catches 3/4 of the balls he has dropped, he's looked at as being a top corner in the NFL. There's not a QB in this league that's afraid to challenge Ike, because they know he can't catch. Lately though you can add covering to the list of things that Taylor can't do. We have to draft his replacement this year.
    No I think we need Gay's replacement first. Ike is ok if the front 7 is doing their job. IMO Ike is down a bit on the list of guys to replace. Linebacker we are ok. We need more picks at down lineman and as many dbs as we can get. I wouldn't even **** with offense until the 2nd day.

Troy hardly played his rookie year and the guys above him on the depth chart were mediocre.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No I think we need Gay's replacement first. Ike is ok if the front 7 is doing their job. IMO Ike is down a bit on the list of guys to replace. Linebacker we are ok. We need more picks at down lineman and as many dbs as we can get. I wouldn't even **** with offense until the 2nd day.
    You aint kiddin' Beezy...We need to draft/FA corner, safety, DL!!! I think that a new 5 tech DL is the key...Ziggy could swing between 3 tech and 5 tech (if he packs on a few lb's).... Keisel will be fine, we need to find a new #91 to continue to run Lebeau's D.

Ziggy is interesting though?... He could play 5 tech (or 3 if he gains the weight)...

Could open the door for a 4-3???...We could put 15-20lbs on Woodley (easy) to play DE in 4-3...Only problem is Keis is left out!!!

Just thinkin guys, dont pick this post apart too bad!!!

We will need help in the secondary regardless!!!

I think we already have gay's replacement in Burnett or Lewis. It just looks to me like Taylor is mailing it in at this point, which I hope I am wrong about. But if he is, I want his replacement ready to go.
    Moving Harrison inside is an interesting thought. He is a lot stronger than Timmons which would be better for run stopping duties and extend his career, while Timmons is a lot more explosive and better suited to rush the passer. Bleed, I would like to add to your suggestion by replacing Farrior with Fox as well. Woodley, Deebo and Fox, Timmons could be a down right nasty combination.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information