Thread: The best fans in Pittsburgh are not in Montreal

Threads : 210

Default The best fans in Pittsburgh are not in Montreal

The best fans in Pittsburgh are not in Montreal
    Published Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 18 H 16 - by Christine Roger
    (Corus Sports) - According to Forbes magazine, the Pittsburgh Penguins have the best fans in the NHL.

To establish this track record, the audience, the capacity of the arena, the ratings on TV and profits of the team were analyzed.

The Penguins fans are those that spend more to buy items bearing the likeness of their favorite players. In addition, all matches that took place at Mellon Arena in 2008-09 were presented to sold-out for the second consecutive year.

Although they finished bottom of rankings by winning only 41% of their games last season and they missed the playoffs for a fourth consecutive year, the Maple Leafs have the second best NHL fans.

Supporters Flyers have captured third place. The Wachovia Center was also filled to capacity every game during the last two seasons.

According to the analysis of "Forbes", the Canadian fans are not the best in the league, but instead find themselves in fourth place.

The Florida Panthers, who have won half their games, getting the last rank with the worst ratings from the League.

Supporters of the Boston Bruins have to settle for 17th place in terms of assistance to the games.

corus sports
    Last edited by Genofan#1; Dec-18-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The best fans in Pittsburgh are not in Montreal

You also have to credit the Penguins marketing department as well. Even though they come up with the lamest slogans "deft ordinary etc..." ... they were brilliant in tapping into the younger, college crowd in Pittsburgh early on. They did all of those College ID games where you could get in for $20 bucks to see a game, they've held those outdoor screenings for playoff games, they hand out pizza's for those waiting in line etc... The marketing department has done a remarkable job of going after the younger generation to build a fan base that can last a long time. Where a team like the Steelers has a more rabid late 20's and beyond crowd, the Pens took the right path in latching onto a younger crowd to build a base in time similar to that of the Steelers. The younger you are to latch onto a team, the more memories you build and it's harder to let go. It's my excuse for being a Pittsburgh Pirates fan

As for Montreal I do have to say however, you have to give credit to the Maple Leafs fans. They are obnoxious, mostly a bunch of pricks and are like a combination of Cleveland Browns and Chicago Cubs fans. They haven't won **** in over 3 decades, rarely make the playoffs, have rarely had any player worth talking about and unless you are a complete die hard hockey fan through the ages you couldn't find 1 player that you can identify directly to the Maple Leafs... but they continue to sell tickets and merchandise despite sucking for so long. Every other team in the league would rapidly fall in all of the departments the Leafs continue to do well in. I can call Leafs fans any name in the book and appropriately do so... but they sure as hell aren't bandwagon fans

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for Montreal I do have to say however, you have to give credit to the Maple Leafs fans. They are obnoxious, mostly a bunch of pricks and are like a combination of Cleveland Browns and Chicago Cubs fans. They haven't won **** in over 3 decades, rarely make the playoffs, have rarely had any player worth talking about and unless you are a complete die hard hockey fan through the ages you couldn't find 1 player that you can identify directly to the Maple Leafs... but they continue to sell tickets and merchandise despite sucking for so long. Every other team in the league would rapidly fall in all of the departments the Leafs continue to do well in. I can call Leafs fans any name in the book and appropriately do so... but they sure as hell aren't bandwagon fans
    You pretty much are right on Kip.

I'm in the middle of Laffs territory (even though I'm much closer to the Sabres geographically).

I'd rather go to a Sabres game anyday (and I will tomorrow. ) The Laffs fans are dinks, generally. If they are losing (which is usually the case ) they sit on their hands like little crybabies, and if they are winning you'd think they're about to win the Cup. It's so sad you can't help but laugh.

That said, there are no more pompous and pretentious fans than Canadiens fans . They think it's their birthright to have a great team. That hasn't worked out too well for them lately, thank God, because you would never hear the end of it. They're kind of like Cryer fans, except replace the obnoxiousness with arrogance.
    Last edited by Crosby Clan; Dec-18-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby Clan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You pretty much are right on Kip.

I'm in the middle of Laffs territory (even though I'm much closer to the Sabres geographically).

I'd rather go to a Sabres game anyday (and I will tomorrow. ) The Laffs fans are dinks, generally. If they are losing (which is usually the case ) they sit on their hands like little crybabies, and if they are winning you'd think they're about to win the Cup. It's so sad you can't help but laugh.

That said, there are no more pompous and pretentious fans than Canadiens fans . They think it's their birthright to have a great team. That hasn't worked out too well for them lately, thank God, because you would never hear the end of it. They're kind of like Cryer fans, except replace the obnoxiousness with arrogance.
    Canadiens fans are like the MLB's version of Red Sox and Yankees fans, probably moreso Yankees fans. Like you said, believe it is their right because of who they are and the banners hanging in their building to have a great team. at least they can't benefit from their market with the NHL like the Yanks can in MLB

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information