Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Notebook: Cubs send Bradley to Seattle

Threads : 691

Default MLB Notebook: Cubs send Bradley to Seattle

MLB Notebook: Cubs send Bradley to Seattle
    Saturday, December 19, 2009
    The Associated Press
    Mercurial outfielder Milton Bradley was traded to the Seattle Mariners from the Chicago Cubs yesterday for expensive and underperforming pitcher Carlos Silva.

The dual dumping, which came together in 48 hours, got rid of headaches for each team -- yet has the potential of creating new ones in each city.

Chicago also received $9 million from the Mariners as part of the swap. Silva has $25 million remaining on his contract and Bradley has $22 million left on his deal.

Chicago has been wanting to trade Bradley since the Cubs suspended him for the final two weeks of last season, shortly after he criticized the atmosphere surrounding a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1908.

General manager Jim Hendry said yesterday he regrets signing the fiery outfielder to a $30 million, three-year contract. Bradley hit just .257 with 40 RBIs last season.

"I bear the responsibility for that not working out," Hendry said in a conference call.

Seattle, which has never even appeared in a World Series, didn't expect to find a suitor for Silva. He has done little except lose and get hurt in the two seasons since he signed a $48 million, four-year contract.

Silva won five games in two years with the Mariners. They will now pay more to Chicago to shed the albatross of a contract second-year Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik inherited from predecessor Bill Bavasi.

Zduriencik's third splashy move in three days was to add more offense following his acquisition of ace Cliff Lee in a trade with Philadelphia and the signing All-Star infielder Chone Figgins.

Yankees
    Nick Johnson is returning to the Yankees, a move that likely will end Johnny Damon's time in New York after four seasons. Johnson reached a preliminary agreement on a $5.5 million, one-year contract, a person familiar with the negotiations said. Johnson must pass a physical for the agreement to be finalized.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Orioles
    Baltimore finalized a $12 million, two-year deal with reliever Mike Gonzalez, a former Pirates pitcher. Gonzalez went 5-4 with 10 saves and a 2.42 ERA with the Braves last season.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

White Sox
    The White Sox sent right-handed pitchers John Ely and Jon Link to the Dodgers, completing this week's acquisition of outfielder Juan Pierre by Chicago. Ely, 23, was 14-2 with a 2.82 ERA in 27 starts with Class AA Birmingham last season. Link, 25, went 1-2 with a 3.99 ERA and 13 saves in 48 relief appearances with Class AAA Charlotte in 2009.

Brewers
    Reliever Claudio Vargas agreed to a one-year contract to stay with Milwaukee. He went a combined 1-0 with a 1.74 ERA in 36 relief appearances for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Milwaukee last season while holding opponents to a .177 batting average. He did not allow a run in his final 13 appearances.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09353...#ixzz0a8o3z5DJ
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: MLB Notebook: Cubs send Bradley to Seattle

What is Baltimore doing? Just when you think they got their heads out of their butts, they go back to their old ways. Sad to see.

sjdrewk

I'm just saying, I think Seattle is headed to an AL West title. They are making some great moves in my eyes.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Carlos Silva is garbage, but the Cubs were willing to take anything to get that headcase Bradley out of town.

I do like what Seattle's doing, although I question their trade of Morrow today.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carlos Silva is garbage, but the Cubs were willing to take anything to get that headcase Bradley out of town.

I do like what Seattle's doing, although I question their trade of Morrow today.
    Bradley is a headcase but he can play ball.....keep in mind I say these things about Seattle with no rooting interest whatsoever....I just like what they are doing observing from afar....I do like how the Mariners are at east trying to win...ah what it would be like for the Priates to play with Nintendo money.

Threads : 23

Bradley's a ****in joke man, really! Before I drank the Pirates KoolAid from my good buddies at PST I was a Cubs fan. Had been for years.

Obviously the Cubs haven't ever done **** for me, but I stuck with em. Now I gotta tell you, what Bradley said and did to the Cubs was complete bull****. Pinella is one of the greatest of all time. I love Pinella and he didn't deserve an ******* like Bradley. He really didn't. The fans didn't deserve to have **** said about them either.

**** Bradley. I thought the Mariners were making a nice little move here this offseason. This one makes me shake my head.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

sjdrewk

Doesn't matter what you think of him. Doesn't matter if he is a prick or whatever- Fact is he can play ball thats why the Mariners got him.

Threads : 197

Bradley's still a valuable player even if he doesn't hit for any power like he did with the Cubs. Still put up a .378 OBP which was the lowest he's had in recent years. The guy knows how to get on base. He also led the American League in OPS just a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Doesn't matter what you think of him. Doesn't matter if he is a prick or whatever- Fact is he can play ball thats why the Mariners got him.
    Pure skill? Yes he has that. Locker room pleasantry? Not so much.

As anyone well knows, any team needs chemistry. And he certainly doesn't add to chemistry (at least in a good way). Therefore, I wouldn't have signed him.

Barry Bonds has pure skill as well. No one's signed him for the same reasons I just mentioned. And let us not forget, only one team even put in a bid for him. They are the only ones who wanted him. When you look at the trades that have involved Bradley, they weren't exactly stud for stud. It's generally teams wanting to unload the headache.

Sounds like my opinion is the opinion of quite a few other GMs in the bigs.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    Pure skill? Yes he has that. Locker room pleasantry? Not so much.

As anyone well knows, any team needs chemistry. And he certainly doesn't add to chemistry (at least in a good way). Therefore, I wouldn't have signed him.

Barry Bonds has pure skill as well. No one's signed him for the same reasons I just mentioned. And let us not forget, only one team even put in a bid for him. They are the only ones who wanted him. When you look at the trades that have involved Bradley, they weren't exactly stud for stud. It's generally teams wanting to unload the headache.

Sounds like my opinion is the opinion of quite a few other GMs in the bigs.
    What do you want a medal for it?
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Threads : 1817

Bradley is a headcase but he can play ball.....keep in mind I say these things about Seattle with no rooting interest whatsoever....I just like what they are doing observing from afar....I do like how the Mariners are at east trying to win...ah what it would be like for the Priates to play with Nintendo money.
    Seattle is stockpiling headcases. They are going to become the Bengals of MLB. Bradley is a ****ing degenerate and don't forget, they have Ian Snell that they traded for as well. To many headcases is never a good thing on a team. Zdjuerick is taking some HUGE gambles and with a decent payroll to play with, I can't say that I personally like what he's doing as far as constructing a team with a decent payroll to play with

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Seattle is stockpiling headcases. They are going to become the Bengals of MLB. Bradley is a ****ing degenerate and don't forget, they have Ian Snell that they traded for as well. To many headcases is never a good thing on a team. Zdjuerick is taking some HUGE gambles and with a decent payroll to play with, I can't say that I personally like what he's doing as far as constructing a team with a decent payroll to play with
    Sometimes it can work, we'll just have to see. It worked for the 70's Yankees and the 70's Raiders. Can't say it will work here but we will see. I like the moves.

What do you want a medal for it?

My only point is when you tell me "It doesn't matter what you think", regardless of how rude it may have sounded, the same could easily be said about you. It doesn't matter what you think either. See what I mean? I chose not to tell you that.

But by backing up "what I think" with what obviously countless other baseball people think, the only thing I recieved from you is "What do you want a medal for it?"

I take it my point was made.

And for the record, yes, my opinion of Bradley is more shared around the league than yours. I guess that makes my opinion of him worthy of medal.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    My only point is when you tell me "It doesn't matter what you think", regardless of how rude it may have sounded, the same could easily be said about you. It doesn't matter what you think either. See what I mean? I chose not to tell you that.

But by backing up "what I think" with what obviously countless other baseball people think, the only thing I recieved from you is "What do you want a medal for it?"

I take it my point was made.

And for the record, yes, my opinion of Bradley is more shared around the league than yours. I guess that makes my opinion of him worthy of medal.
    dude shut up. I don't argue about guys like Milton Brdley. You've been warned.

dude shut up. I don't argue about guys like Milton Brdley. You've been warned.
    Shut up? I've been warned?

Wow.

Last edited by Steel City; Dec-23-2009 at 12:21 PM.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information