Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

      
  1. #1
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    December 18, 2009
    Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Luke Massa believed in Brian Kelly.

    Which is why the St. Xavier High School senior from Anderson Township, who quarterbacked the Bombers for three years and helped them to a state title as a sophomore, verbally committed to Cincinnati in July.

    "It was Kelly and the coaching staff," he said. "I thought (UC was) a BCS school, and they showed interest in me early."

    At the time, Massa also had an official offer from Wisconsin and was garnering interest from Boston College, Michigan State, Vanderbilt and - ironically enough - Notre Dame.

    "(The other schools) all wanted me to come to camp and see me throw," Massa said. "UC didn't want me to do that."

    Massa took it as a compliment and had just one question.

    "(My parents and I) asked (Kelly) if he was going to stay (at UC)," Massa recalled. "And he said if a dream job came along, he didn't know what he'd do."

    So when Kelly bolted for South Bend earlier this month, maybe Massa should've been unfazed. But he wasn't - because, well, he believed in Brian Kelly.

    "I was surprised when he left; he had been telling players he was staying and how much he liked the city," Massa said, pausing. "I don't really know how to feel about it."

    What do you say to Luke Massa? What do you say to the scores of players and recruits who believed in the words Kelly spoke and the magic he conjured? What do you say?

    It's hard to ignore what Kelly did for Cincinnati. But it's even harder to ignore the way he left it. In the days and weeks before Kelly's departure - when all logic told us he was leaving - all we got were assurances he wasn't. And just like Carlo insisting his innocence at the end of The Godfather, all Kelly did was insult our intelligence.

    He told his players he wasn't going, but he went anyway. He told his players they'd be the first to know what would happen; instead, they were the last. And of all the days for Kelly to part ways with the Bearcats, he did it on the day of their football banquet, leprechauning his way through the night with smiles and handshakes before gathering his troops and dropping the bomb.

    There are those who think Kelly is faultless. Anyone would do what he did, they reason, and we should be grateful for what he gave us while it lasted. Maybe. But that's like telling your unfaithful spouse, "It's OK that you're leaving me for someone richer and more attractive. I'm just grateful you hung around as long as you did."

    If Kelly wanted more tradition, he got it. Notre Dame has 11 national championships, seven Heisman Trophy winners, Knute Rockne, Rudy and the Four Horsemen. UC has Kevin Huber.

    If Kelly wanted more money, he got it. But money wasn't all - or even most - of what lured him to the Irish; Kelly was already a millionaire set to make more millions at UC. For him, it was ego. For him, there's greater victory in restoring a fallen dynasty than in building a never-was, in cracking a code that so many before him couldn't solve.

    Kelly has not contacted Massa, neither to explain his actions nor to woo him to South Bend. In all likelihood, Massa will end up a Bearcat - without regret.

    But what do you say to Luke Massa?

    "I saw what (UC was) doing and how they did things," Massa said of what attracted him to Kelly and UC. "I just wanted to be a part of it."

    We all did, Luke.

    Just not Brian Kelly.

    http://communitypress.cincinnati.com...e+Massa+behind
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  2. #2
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    December 18, 2009
    Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Luke Massa believed in Brian Kelly.

    Which is why the St. Xavier High School senior from Anderson Township, who quarterbacked the Bombers for three years and helped them to a state title as a sophomore, verbally committed to Cincinnati in July.

    "It was Kelly and the coaching staff," he said. "I thought (UC was) a BCS school, and they showed interest in me early."

    At the time, Massa also had an official offer from Wisconsin and was garnering interest from Boston College, Michigan State, Vanderbilt and - ironically enough - Notre Dame.

    "(The other schools) all wanted me to come to camp and see me throw," Massa said. "UC didn't want me to do that."

    Massa took it as a compliment and had just one question.

    "(My parents and I) asked (Kelly) if he was going to stay (at UC)," Massa recalled. "And he said if a dream job came along, he didn't know what he'd do."

    So when Kelly bolted for South Bend earlier this month, maybe Massa should've been unfazed. But he wasn't - because, well, he believed in Brian Kelly.

    "I was surprised when he left; he had been telling players he was staying and how much he liked the city," Massa said, pausing. "I don't really know how to feel about it."

    What do you say to Luke Massa? What do you say to the scores of players and recruits who believed in the words Kelly spoke and the magic he conjured? What do you say?

    It's hard to ignore what Kelly did for Cincinnati. But it's even harder to ignore the way he left it. In the days and weeks before Kelly's departure - when all logic told us he was leaving - all we got were assurances he wasn't. And just like Carlo insisting his innocence at the end of The Godfather, all Kelly did was insult our intelligence.

    He told his players he wasn't going, but he went anyway. He told his players they'd be the first to know what would happen; instead, they were the last. And of all the days for Kelly to part ways with the Bearcats, he did it on the day of their football banquet, leprechauning his way through the night with smiles and handshakes before gathering his troops and dropping the bomb.

    There are those who think Kelly is faultless. Anyone would do what he did, they reason, and we should be grateful for what he gave us while it lasted. Maybe. But that's like telling your unfaithful spouse, "It's OK that you're leaving me for someone richer and more attractive. I'm just grateful you hung around as long as you did."

    If Kelly wanted more tradition, he got it. Notre Dame has 11 national championships, seven Heisman Trophy winners, Knute Rockne, Rudy and the Four Horsemen. UC has Kevin Huber.

    If Kelly wanted more money, he got it. But money wasn't all - or even most - of what lured him to the Irish; Kelly was already a millionaire set to make more millions at UC. For him, it was ego. For him, there's greater victory in restoring a fallen dynasty than in building a never-was, in cracking a code that so many before him couldn't solve.

    Kelly has not contacted Massa, neither to explain his actions nor to woo him to South Bend. In all likelihood, Massa will end up a Bearcat - without regret.

    But what do you say to Luke Massa?

    "I saw what (UC was) doing and how they did things," Massa said of what attracted him to Kelly and UC. "I just wanted to be a part of it."

    We all did, Luke.

    Just not Brian Kelly.

    http://communitypress.cincinnati.com...e+Massa+behind
    me a river!

  3. #3
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    me a river!
    As a ND homer, you're missing the point... Not that there is one, because this **** sucks, but it's just a different perspective than we usually get.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  4. #4
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a ND homer, you're missing the point... Not that there is one, because this **** sucks, but it's just a different perspective than we usually get.
    I guess your right I don't get the point. Obviously this writer has an axe to grind with Kelly. Kelly took another job...get over it. This kid isn't even at Cincinnati if he doesn't like the situation he can do whatever he wants, he's not tied into anything.

  5. #5
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess your right I don't get the point.
    The "round-a-bout" point is that ND is gonna suck again next season and I'm gonna laugh.... ****ing period...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  6. #6
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "round-a-bout" point is that ND is gonna suck again next season and I'm gonna laugh.... ****ing period...
    That was the point you got out of the article? I missed that one also.
    Last edited by PittFaninVa; Dec-19-2009 at 09:40 PM.

  7. #7
    PittFaninVa's Avatar
    Status : PittFaninVa is offline
    Rank : All-Star
    Join Date : Oct 28, 2009
    Posts : 2,433
    Threads : 94
    Last Online : Jun-07-2011 @ 10:03 PM

    Default Re: Commentary: Kelly leaves recruits like Massa behind

    If this Luke Massa kid worships at the alter of Brian Kelly all he has to do is call ND and see if they are interested in him.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •