Thread: San Jose stadium news

sjdrewk

Default San Jose stadium news

I live just a 5 minute drive from the class A San Jose Giants stadium. I am torn on this subject. Even though I hate the Oakland A's with every fiber of my being, I want the A's to come to San Jose because of economic reasons....but as some of you know, the GIants own the rights to San Jose. It is their territory. This is a hot topic debate right now locally.
    ===============================================

San Jose Giants fans outline gripes with A's stadium plan

By Tracy Seipel
    Mercury News
    Posted: 12/21/2009 12:00:00 AM PST
    Updated: 12/21/2009 12:24:55 AM PST

Special Report
    Baseball in the South Bay
    More on the Athletics
    A's Forum: Talk with fellow fans
    A's special section: More news, stats and video.
    tseipel@mercurynews.com
    The attorney for a group of San Jose Giants fans fighting a proposed A's ballpark downtown said a revised report being prepared on the park's environmental impacts is seriously flawed.
    Todd W. Smith, a senior associate at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman in San Francisco, filed a nine-page letter last week with the city that outlines objections by the group, which is partly supported by the San Francisco Giants.
    The Giants are fighting the Oakland A's move to San Jose, saying they own Major League Baseball's territorial rights to Santa Clara County.
    Beyond the fan group's primary argument that building a ballpark would divert tax money from essential services such as schools, libraries and firefighters a claim San Jose leaders deny Smith details a handful of problems he said planners need to address. They include:
    Updating the potential traffic impacts on Interstate 880 from A's fans driving down from Alameda and Contra Costa counties;
    Analyzing if the original environmental impact report certified in 2007, before current talks with the A's began, considered whether a stadium in the Diridon/Arena area was consistent with San Jose's land use policies; and
    Studying the impacts of residential, commercial and mixed-use projects proposed near the stadium site.
    A planned regional transportation hub
    Advertisement

at Diridon Station also must be considered, he said, along with a pro soccer stadium A's owner Lew Wolff is proposing to build nearly three miles away.
    Finally, Smith said the revised report must analyze the potential for urban decay around the Oakland Coliseum that could result from the A's relocation.
    Smith, an environmental and land-use attorney, told the Mercury News he hopes his points will be considered before a draft of the revised environmental report is made public early next year.
    Akoni Danielsen, a principal planner with the city of San Jose, said Smith makes fair points that "by and large, we were already considering."
    Smith and city officials agree that some parts of the 2007 environmental impact report for a then-proposed 45,000-seat ballpark must be updated to reflect the smaller 36,000-seat stadium currently under review.
    At the time, for example, the city indicated that because it had yet to identify a specific major league baseball team to occupy the ballpark, analyzing impacts on I-880 traffic could be deferred. Now that the city has decided to pursue a ballpark for the A's, Smith said officials must address that issue.
    Smith also questions the 2007 report's assertion that traffic distribution for A's games would likely be similar to that for San Jose Sharks games. He said that while Sharks fans mostly come from the South Bay, the A's fan base comes from the East Bay.
    And Smith noted that since the 2007 report, planning for two significant regional transit projects a high-speed rail line from San Francisco to San Jose and the BART Silicon Valley project have advanced, and both identify Diridon Station near the A's site as a proposed hub.
    "High-speed rail will deliver 15,000 people a day to Diridon Station," Smith said.
    That, taken together with the BART project and the many cars that will likely transport people to and from the station, will impact not only traffic but air quality, he said.
    Danielsen said planners will be studying traffic impact from not only I-880 but I-680 as well.
    And he said the city is in touch with representatives of both rail projects Smith cites, noting that the transportation confluence is a key focus for city officials.
    As to the matter of urban decay, Smith cites as legal precedent a case in Bakersfield in which a state Court of Appeal held that two environmental impact reports for large commercial shopping centers failed to analyze the centers' potential to indirectly cause urban decay in that city's downtown.
    In his letter, Smith says the Oakland Coliseum, where the A's now play, is a centerpiece in the city's Coliseum Redevelopment Area Plan. Since the A's use the Coliseum more than any other tenant, their exit would mean the facility could sit empty and unused on at least 81 additional dates.
    Under the California Environmental Quality Act authority, Smith said, the potential adverse impact on the redevelopment area must be analyzed in the revised environmental report.
    Danielsen said San Jose will give that "careful consideration" and that, in fact, planners may look to what happened when the Giants left Candlestick Park in 1999 to move to what is now AT&T Park.
    Contact Tracy Seipel at 408-275-0140.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: San Jose stadium news

So, are they talking about
    A) Renovating Muni?
    B) Building a new stadium on another site?

I have MANY memories of going to games at Muni when I was a kid . It's a really nice ballpark.

San Jose was once the farm team for the Angels, but primarily when I was growing up, they were the farm team for the KC Royals (which is how KC became my 2nd favourite team after the Buccos). The San Jose Bees were "A" ball. Got to see a LOT of players come up - George Brett, John Wathan, Steve Busby, Paul Splittorff for the Bees, and players like Gary Maddox & Gary Matthews come through with other teams ... Fresno Giants, Reno SilverSox, Stockton Ports, Modesto (Yankees, Cards, A's), Visalia (Mets, White Sox, Cubs).

Family of 4, admission, food & drinks, etc. = about $25. We used to go 10-15 times a season.

And doubleheaders. Yes, we went to plenty of doubleheaders. Fuggin' awesome!

We used to go sometimes when they had roller derby, too!

Ah, them was the days.
    Last edited by cocktailsfor2; Dec-21-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Threads : 20

What ever happened with the Fremont stadium deal?

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What ever happened with the Fremont stadium deal?
    I haven't heard a word about the Fremont deal lately but the last time I had heard anything regarding Fremont they were saying the deal is doa.

Threads : 1817

So... what are they *****ing about exact? territorial rights for the MLB team (Giants) or the minor league team being in San Jose? I don't know how much of a gripe they'll have with the minor league team, I mean if you look at florida, Tampa has the rays and a minor league affiliate of the yankees and now with the pirates moving their A+ team to bradenton, you're talking a real short distance to Tampa.

Oakland ans san fran are closer to each other than san fran and san jose, you'd think that this might be a better idea for san fran cause they could dip into more northerners that they'd usually have to compete with oakland for. then again, south of san jose there isnt much until you hit anaheim.

what do you think drew? think the a's have a chance to move to SJ or should they potentially start thinking of moving out of state like Vegas or portland which have been rumored hot beds for a while?

Threads : 158

For those interested here s a great site for discussing stadium news in MLB.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by cocktailsfor2 View Post
    So, are they talking about
    A) Renovating Muni?
    B) Building a new stadium on another site?

I have MANY memories of going to games at Muni when I was a kid . It's a really nice ballpark.

San Jose was once the farm team for the Angels, but primarily when I was growing up, they were the farm team for the KC Royals (which is how KC became my 2nd favourite team after the Buccos). The San Jose Bees were "A" ball. Got to see a LOT of players come up - George Brett, John Wathan, Steve Busby, Paul Splittorff for the Bees, and players like Gary Maddox & Gary Matthews come through with other teams ... Fresno Giants, Reno SilverSox, Stockton Ports, Modesto (Yankees, Cards, A's), Visalia (Mets, White Sox, Cubs).

Family of 4, admission, food & drinks, etc. = about $25. We used to go 10-15 times a season.

And doubleheaders. Yes, we went to plenty of doubleheaders. Fuggin' awesome!

We used to go sometimes when they had roller derby, too!

Ah, them was the days.
    Muni isn't part of the A's story per se.....the only reason they are mentioned is to accentuate the fact that San Jose is giants territory.

Any matter, I do have pretty fond memories of the Bee's myself. They were my first professional baseball game I ever went to- a neighbors dad took me to a game.Later on in life, I saw Ken Griffey Jr. when he played with the San Bernadino Spirit at Muni. I use to just wait on the RR tracks and collect ball after baseball. lol

I use to drink New York Seltzers all day at muni. And the forth of July fireworks are still a mainstay.

Lots of fun out there. Even though I am literally minutes away from Muni, I haven't been there in such a long time. I too love George Brett. Mike Schmidt and George Brett were my favorite 3rd basemen. I even met Brett, Saberhagen and Kevin Seitzer at a local signing way back when. I hate American league ball but my favorite AL teams are the Twins and the Royals.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    So... what are they *****ing about exact? territorial rights for the MLB team (Giants) or the minor league team being in San Jose? I don't know how much of a gripe they'll have with the minor league team, I mean if you look at florida, Tampa has the rays and a minor league affiliate of the yankees and now with the pirates moving their A+ team to bradenton, you're talking a real short distance to Tampa.

Oakland ans san fran are closer to each other than san fran and san jose, you'd think that this might be a better idea for san fran cause they could dip into more northerners that they'd usually have to compete with oakland for. then again, south of san jose there isnt much until you hit anaheim.

what do you think drew? think the a's have a chance to move to SJ or should they potentially start thinking of moving out of state like Vegas or portland which have been rumored hot beds for a while?
    Well, I am on record as saying that I would like to see the A's move to SJ strictly based on economic reasons that benefit the city. But I don't see the A's being able to move down here because back in the 90's there was a vote to bring the GIants to San Jose and the measure failed. So I am not really sure how this is going to work out in favor of the A's unless the League steps in and lifts the rights of the Giants on San Jose and even then you have people against the A's moving here for numerous reason such as traffic concerns which right now is just horrible beyond repair.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Well, I am on record as saying that I would like to see the A's move to SJ strictly based on economic reasons that benefit the city. But I don't see the A's being able to move down here because back in the 90's there was a vote to bring the GIants to San Jose and the measure failed. So I am not really sure how this is going to work out in favor of the A's unless the League steps in and lifts the rights of the Giants on San Jose and even then you have people against the A's moving here for numerous reason such as traffic concerns which right now is just horrible beyond repair.
    Understood.

I'm really surprised that the A's haven't taken a serious look into the Vegas and Portland markets, mainly the Vegas market which has been jonesing for a pro team of any sort for a while now. I think it would help them out market wise because they'd have practically the entire state of Nevada to draw from market wise. the Giants really benefit because they could dip into the Oakland market if the A's leave but it frees up a crowded market in that part of California IMO

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Understood.

I'm really surprised that the A's haven't taken a serious look into the Vegas and Portland markets, mainly the Vegas market which has been jonesing for a pro team of any sort for a while now. I think it would help them out market wise because they'd have practically the entire state of Nevada to draw from market wise. the Giants really benefit because they could dip into the Oakland market if the A's leave but it frees up a crowded market in that part of California IMO
    I think the A's will end up staying in Oakland or going to Sacramento. Fremont would have been perfect for the A's because they could start drawing fans from as far south as Santa Cruz and Gilroy....which is where teams in the bay area draw from anyway. Most the fan base for the Giants, Niners, Faders, Warriors, Sharks, etc. come from the south bay. San Jose deserves more than one big league team. Contrary to what people around the nation most likely think, it's San Jose that is the straw that stirs the drink that is the bay area. Not SF or Oakland.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information