Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2009 Steelers Season was Typified on one play vs. Green Bay

Threads : 164
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The 2009 Steelers Season was Typified on one play vs. Green Bay

Leading by 10 Late in the 3rd quarter. 3 and 16, and a chance to put a foot on a team's throat.

What happens? 3rd and 16 conversion and a TD drive.

Yes, the Steelers won and I was happy, but too many times this season, when this scenario has been occurred and the wheels fell off the cart.

Anyway just an observation.

sjdrewk

Default Re: The 2009 Steelers Season was Typified on one play vs. Green Bay

I felt like I was watching the same game over and over again this season. ****ing crazy how the same **** thing happened over and over...a kick return for a td, a last second td or fg to beat us after we had the lead late in the game....wash, rinse , repeat....at least we got one back on Sunday....the difference between last year and this year is closing out the games and winning those close games. This year, we are losing all the close games.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [HIGH-LIGHT]I felt like I was watching the same game over and over again this season.[/HIGH-LIGHT] ****ing crazy how the same **** thing happened over and over...a kick return for a td, a last second td or fg to beat us after we had the lead late in the game....wash, rinse , repeat....at least we got one back on Sunday....the difference between last year and this year is closing out the games and winning those close games. This year, we are losing all the close games.
    This is exactly right. Groundhog's day... alll miserable. There was not one single easy win for them this season.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCar86 View Post
    This is exactly right. Groundhog's day... alll miserable. There was not one single easy win for them this season.
    Oddly enough, this seasons schedule was a cakewalk......last years schedule was murderers row. This season we only beat the better teams and lost to pieces of **** teams...does this team have a hard time getting motivated for the lesser teams? I think the reason we have lost all these games to crap team is because Troy was out but it's warranted to take a look at motivation and lack of intensity that I have not seen this year other than the Titans game, against lesser team as a factor.

Threads : 23

Id say that is certainly the case. We get up for the big ones and don't care about the weaker teams opting instead to think we can beat them regardless.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How, from one year to the next, can it go from loving and wanting to see the defense close a game out, to being scared to death when the are on the field with less than a 9 point lead with more than 2 minutes left?
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Oddly enough, this seasons schedule was a cakewalk......last years schedule was murderers row. This season we only beat the better teams and lost to pieces of **** teams...does this team have a hard time getting motivated for the lesser teams? I think the reason we have lost all these games to crap team is because Troy was out but it's warranted to take a look at motivation and lack of intensity that I have not seen this year other than the Titans game, against lesser team as a factor.
    Yup! I'm sure we all saw the schedule and thought "ooh we could repeat."
    Last year, I had people yacking in my ear that the Steelers would be lucky to go 7-9.

Guess we like a challenge?

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    How, from one year to the next, can it go from loving and wanting to see the defense close a game out, to being scared to death when the are on the field with less than a 9 point lead with more than 2 minutes left?
    I have two words for you my friend: Tyrone Carter

And, if those two words don't work for you, try these: Willie Gay

Of course, here's two more that may have had a small affect on the defense: Troy Polamalu

Papillon

Threads : 1817

I would most certaintly say that motivation has been an issue this season. We've played down to teams and up to teams. It's not that we';ve played lights out against the good teams. Only the Denver game was a blow out and it took us until after half time to come to life in that one.

San Diego - the defense tried to blow that one with 21 4th quarter points given up. The Offense kept scoring and put up 38 which was needed. Far from a "great" win, but we won and didn't give the game away in the end.

Minnesota - the offense had a bad game but it's not like they had a bad game against the Browns defense or like the defense did against the Chiefs and Raiders offenses , the vikings defense is legit... but the defense had their best game of the season in terms of making plays and bailed out the offense. Wasn't a great looking game but we won. It's not like we were winning games decisevly last year either.

Green Bay - no need to mention, it's fresh in our minds.

We;ve not beaten the teams we should've beaten and we've beaten the teams some would think we'd have a hard time against. This team has an extra gear against the better teams going into those games.

However... it's not just motivation. this secondary has been brutal all season long. It's cost us a bunch of leads, some by double digits and wins and have looked bad in games we've won. the Secondary is our biggest problem on this team right now... It's like last year how the RickT's and ****** Wydo's whined that the Offensive Line would prevent this team from getting to the superbowl... that "prediction" was made early in the eyar and the O-Line found a way to steadily improve enough... This year, the Secondary is going to be what keeps us from obtaining much this year but we've had a full season to see this and it's not improved one ounce

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
    I have two words for you my friend: Tyrone Carter

And, if those two words don't work for you, try these: Willie Gay

Of course, here's two more that may have had a small affect on the defense: Troy Polamalu

Papillon
    Troy is the ONLY play maker in the secondary. He';s the only guy that knwos how to jump routes, read QB's, make an INT, force turnovers and defend passes. His absence has hurt this defense in various ways but it's the takeaway game I think his absence has had it's biggest affect. His presence causes confusion for QB's as well which forces bad passes.

I said this before, the biggest Arians haters ignored it but I'll say it again... I don't like Arians, I want the guy fired but also consider we're scoring more points on average than last year or close to the same but we're having to drive the entire length of the field to do so a hell of a lot more this year. We're not getting the defensive touchdowns like we did last year which would drop our points scored average from last season, we aren't getting near the same amount of turnovers last year to give us short fields which we got a lot of to help the offense... the offense isn't even really ****ing the defense with turnovers to force them to defend short fields constantly

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    Leading by 10 Late in the 3rd quarter. 3 and 16, and a chance to put a foot on a team's throat.

What happens? 3rd and 16 conversion and a TD drive.

Yes, the Steelers won and I was happy, but too many times this season, when this scenario has been occurred and the wheels fell off the cart.

Anyway just an observation.
    My feelings all afternoon while watching the game, every time we would kick *** on 1st and 2nd and get to 3rd and long...I hated it,....liked 3rd and short better.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    My feelings all afternoon while watching the game, every time we would kick *** on 1st and 2nd and get to 3rd and long...I hated it,....liked 3rd and short better.
    I can't stand watching the D fail to get off the field on 3rd and long and I hate seeing the offense stall and not pick up the 3rd and 3's. I just get so frustrated that they have done this all season on both sides of the ball.

Threads : 407

I can't stand watching the D fail to get off the field on 3rd and long and I hate seeing the offense stall and not pick up the 3rd and 3's. I just get so frustrated that they have done this all season on both sides of the ball.
    It has been their nemisis this season as compared to seasons past....so much for bend don't break defense.

Threads : 4

Good morning. New to the board but hopefully incitefull.

The season changed on Oct 20 when Jeff Reed was charge with "public intoxication" and was given a "free pass" by Tomlin to play in that weeks game. Santonio Holmes got a one week suspension for smoking a doobie. I really believe that this one act divided the team and I had heard some rumors that behind closed doors that the front office wanted a suspension but Tomlin wouldn't go for it. This coincides with the horrible losing streak they suffered. Because the kicker is a somewhat "specialized" position, Tomlin choked and by doing so, I believe, lost his credibility with the team.

Just a thought!

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by First off, love the show View Post
    Good morning. New to the board but hopefully incitefull.

The season changed on Oct 20 when Jeff Reed was charge with "public intoxication" and was given a "free pass" by Tomlin to play in that weeks game. Santonio Holmes got a one week suspension for smoking a doobie. I really believe that this one act divided the team and I had heard some rumors that behind closed doors that the front office wanted a suspension but Tomlin wouldn't go for it. This coincides with the horrible losing streak they suffered. Because the kicker is a somewhat "specialized" position, Tomlin choked and by doing so, I believe, lost his credibility with the team.

Just a thought!
    First,welcome to the Tavern!!

Now,to think that this team imploded because of Jeff Reed is ludicrous.The main culprit this year is the D.That problem had been going on way before Reed getting arrested.Just look at last year's SB for proof of that.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information