Default Best article yet about the Playoffs

Steelers' playoff scenarios complex
    Buzz up!
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009
    Last updated: 11:05 am
    Web Links

* If the season ended today...

Following a heart-stopping, 37-36 win over the Green Bay Packers on Sunday, several Steelers captains said they weren't even thinking about the playoffs.

Here's the kicker: if the 7-7 Steelers beat the 8-6 Ravens this Sunday at Heinz Field, they may actually control their playoff destiny heading into their regular-season finale Jan. 3 in Miami.

For that to happen, the Jets, Jaguars, Broncos and Texans have to lose this Sunday; all are underdogs in those games.

If such a scenario transpires, the Jets, Jaguars and Texans could finish no better than 8-8 and the Broncos would do no better than 9-7.

If the Steelers win out, the Dolphins would finish 8-8 at best, and the Ravens would finish no better than 9-7.

One plausible scenario given the remaining schedules of the teams in playoff contention would be the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos all finishing 9-7 and vying for the two AFC wild-card berths.

Under NFL guidelines for wild-card tiebreakers, the Ravens would eliminate the Steelers based on a better division record and get the No. 5 seed over the Broncos since they beat Denver earlier this season.

The final spot in the playoffs would come down to the Steelers and Broncos, and the defending Super Bowl champions would get in based on their 28-10 win Nov. 9 in Denver.

If the Titans would happen to win their remaining two games they play host to red-hot San Diego on Christmas and join the Steelers, Ravens and Broncos at 9-7, the Ravens and Steelers would still get the No. 5 and No. 6 seeds. The Steelers would get in because they have beaten the Broncos and Titans this season.

A lot has to happen, and if the Steelers don't win their last two games, all of the scenarios for them to make the playoffs are moot. But the team that won its last four games in 2005 and became the first sixth seed in NFL history to capture the Super Bowl title isn't out of postseason contention.

"I'm not really thinking about that right now," Steelers inside linebacker James Farrior said. "I know we're a long shot, and I just want to focus on these last two games."

Though only two weeks are left in the season, there still are countless scenarios that could play out. The Steelers may be the biggest wild card in what has become a muddled race for the two wild-card playoff berths in the AFC. The reason: they have been harder to figure out than the tax code.

The Steelers have beaten the Vikings, Packers and Chargers, who have won nine consecutive games. They also have lost to the Browns, Raiders and Chiefs, who have a combined record of 11-31.

"This is a crazy league; it really is," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said when asked to explain the route the Steelers have taken to 7-7.

What may be crazier is that a team that had been in the midst of a five-game losing streak still can consider itself in playoff contention even if the players won't talk about it at least not publicly.

"All I care about," Roethlisberger said, "is us winning these last two games."

Wild race

Here are the teams that are bunched together in the battle for the two AFC wild-card spots:

Broncos (8-6) -- Play at Philadelphia on Sunday, and the Eagles clinch the NFC East with a win over Denver and a Cowboys loss.

Ravens (8-6) -- They needed OT to beat the Steelers in Baltimore, and the Steelers didn't have Ben Roethlisberger that game.

Steelers (7-7) -- If they beat the Ravens, their playoff chances drastically improve.

Dolphins (7-7) -- Could be a de facto playoff game when they play host to the Steelers on Jan. 3.

Jaguars (7-7) -- Play at New England on Sunday, and the Patriots clinch the AFC East title with a victory over Jacksonville.

Jets (7-7) -- Visit the undefeated Colts on Sunday and finish the season by playing host to the Bengals.

Texans (7-7) -- Visit Miami on Sunday and play host to the Patriots the following week.

Titans (7-7) -- They probably turn back into a Christmas pumpkin when they play the visiting Chargers.

Poised to clinch

The following is a list of AFC teams that can clinch playoff berths this week. The Colts (AFC South) and Chargers (AFC West) already have clinched division titles:

Patriots (9-5)

Clinches AFC East with:

New England win or tie OR

Miami loss or tie

Bengals(9-5)

Clinches AFC North with:

Cincinnati win OR

Cincinnati tie PLUS Baltimore loss or tie OR

Baltimore loss

Clinches a playoff spot with:

Cincinnati tie OR

Jacksonville loss or tie PLUS New York Jets loss or tie PLUS Houston/Miami game ends in a tie

Ravens (8-6)

Baltimore win PLUS Jacksonville loss or tie PLUS New York Jets loss or tie OR

Baltimore win PLUS Jacksonville loss or tie PLUS Denver loss OR

Baltimore win PLUS Miami loss or tie PLUS New York Jets loss or tie PLUS Denver loss OR

Baltimore tie PLUS New York Jets loss PLUS Jacksonville loss PLUS Tennessee loss or tie PLUS Houston/Miami game ends in a tie

Broncos (8-6)

Denver win PLUS Jacksonville loss or tie PLUS Miami loss or tie PLUS New York Jets loss or TIE plus Steelers loss or tie

Tiebreaker procedure

With a handful of teams, including the Steelers, in contention for a wild-card berth in the AFC playoffs, here's how the NFL breaks ties:

Two teams

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.

Three or more teams

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.

1. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.

3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.

4. Strength of victory.

5. Strength of schedule.

6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

__________________________________________________ ____

Just thought I'd add this. It's a good read I needed because of all the conflicting opinions concerning who has to beat who.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 60

Default Re: Best article yet about the Playoffs

This is what needs to happen this week for us to control our own destiny in Week 17.

Jaguars lose to Patriots currently a 7.5 point underdog.
    Jets lose to Colts currently a 6 point underdog.
    Broncos lose to Eagles currently a 7 point underdog.
    Texans lose to Dolphins currently a 3 point underdog.

and the STEELERS WIN.

This happens and the Steelers just need to beat Dolphins in the final week for the #6 seed.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Over it, knew it before the game was over Sunday, tired of talking about it, play the **** game against the Ravens already, then we will know where we stand.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over it, knew it before the game was over Sunday, tired of talking about it, play the **** game against the Ravens already, then we will know where we stand.
    what are you doin to that horse

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk[/ame]

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks guys
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA[/ame]

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually heard a good breakdown on this using "Statistical probability" while driving back from Pgh tonight... They started with the probability of the Pats beating the Jags, then went right thru all 6 things that have to happen during the next two weeks for us to get into the playoffs... The various matchups, doing the math, etc.... It turns-out that we have just better than 1% chance... And this was done on 1250AM, which is our own station...

... Now, having said that, I also heard Merril Hodge this morning while he was filling-in for the doufus boys on M&M... He recounted that when they made the playoffs, they needed something like 10 things to happen, including around 6 teams to lose the final week... And it did.

Personally, I am not holding-out hope... I am just going to enjoy the next two weeks of Steeler football, root for my team, and let the chips fall where they may.... As the saying goes; "What a long strange trip it's been."
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Through all the things that have to happen Pittsburgh can attain as high as the 5th seed.

That takes Baltimore losing the next two games, the final one against Oakland.

That, I would belive has about a 1-5% chance of happening.

The rest looks really good.

I don't see Jacksonville going into NE and upsetting them two days after xmas.

I don't see the Jets upsetting Indianapolis either.

No matter who wins Houston at Miami, it helps Pgh.

A lot to watch this week.

Once in, anything can happen.....

Especially with this Pittsburgh team that likes having it's back against the wall and knocking off the better teams.

Threads : 3263

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This is what needs to happen this week for us to control our own destiny in Week 17.

Jaguars lose to Patriots currently a 7.5 point underdog.
    Jets lose to Colts currently a 6 point underdog.
    Broncos lose to Eagles currently a 7 point underdog.
    Texans lose to Dolphins currently a 3 point underdog.

and the STEELERS WIN.

This happens and the Steelers just need to beat Dolphins in the final week for the #6 seed.
    The Steelers winning two is the thing I'm worried about the most. They are favored this week by just two and a half, and will probably be the underdog the last week. If they don't suddenly play better, and at this point that may just be wishful thinking, then they won't win those last two.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    Through all the things that have to happen Pittsburgh can attain as high as the 5th seed.

That takes Baltimore losing the next two games, the final one against Oakland.

That, I would belive has about a 1-5% chance of happening.

The rest looks really good.

A lot to watch this week.

Once in, anything can happen.....

Especially with this Pittsburgh team that likes having it's back against the wall and knocking off the better teams.
    I agree, the Patriots are trying to wrap up the AFC East title as well as battling with Cincinnati for the #3 seed. The Pats have much to play for and nothing that helps them, i.e.. a Jets loss, or a Dolphins loss, will be determined prior to their game.

I agree, the Colts attempt at staying undefeated is bad news for the Jets. This game may get ugly.

I would prefer to see a Miami win. That takes Houston out of any potential 3 or 4 way ties. But you're right, either way won't hurt the Steelers in the least.

You did however forget the most important game. Denver at Philadelphia. If Denver doesn't lose this week then the Steelers chances of making the playoffs will go down the drain. The Eagles are currently favored by 7 points. The Eagles are still competing for the NFC East division title so hopefully they're inspired to play their best ball. I just hope that they're not looking ahead to their week 17 matchup with the Cowboys. With that being said, I am confident that the Eagles will take care of the Broncos.

I mean really, we're not asking for much here. The aforementioned games should pan out as expected. That combined with a Steelers win and the Steelers will control their own destiny going into week #17. Who would of thunk it 2 weeks ago?
    Last edited by Ohio Five-O; Dec-23-2009 at 01:46 AM.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    I agree, the Patriots are trying to wrap up the AFC East title as well as battling with Cincinnati for the #3 seed. The Pats have much to play for and nothing that helps them, i.e.. a Jets loss, or a Dolphins loss, will be determined prior to their game.

I agree, the Colts attempt at staying undefeated is bad news for the Jets. This game may get ugly.

I would prefer to see a Miami win. That takes Houston out of any potential 3 or 4 way ties. But you're right, either way won't hurt the Steelers in the least.

You did however forget the most important game. Denver at Philadelphia. If Denver doesn't lose this week then the Steelers chances of making the playoffs will go down the drain. The Eagles are currently favored by 7 points. The Eagles are still competing for the NFC East division title so hopefully they're inspired to play their best ball. I just hope that they're not looking ahead to their week 17 matchup with the Cowboys. With that being said, I am confident that the Eagles will take care of the Broncos.

I mean really, we're not asking for much here. The aforementioned games should pan out as expected. That combined with a Steelers win and the Steelers will control their own destiny going into week #17. Who would of thunk it 2 weeks ago?
    good point

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mindboggling is what it is. Thank God for joey galloway.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information