Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too funny..even his son is on his *** about the onside kick

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Too funny..even his son is on his *** about the onside kick

No faith in defense led to Steelers’ onside kick
    By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP)—When a weary Mike Tomlin arrived home from the Steelers’ 37-36 victory over the Packers, 8-year-old Dino popped the same question to his dad that much of Pittsburgh was asking.

Why did you try that onside kick?

According to the Steelers coach, his son got the politically incorrect answer.

“I just told him to be quiet,” Tomlin said, laughing, on Tuesday.

The answer for the rest of the world was slightly more complicated, but essentially came down to this: Tomlin no longer believed his defense could stop the Packers during Green Bay’s 22-point fourth quarter.

Had the Steelers (7-7) lost, Tomlin’s gamble would have been as debated among Steelers fans as much as Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s decision to go for it on fourth-and-2 at his own 28 late in the fourth quarter against Indianapolis. New England failed, giving the Colts a short field to drive for the game-winning score.

Tomlin’s move didn’t work, either, but the difference was the Steelers still had time to recover from it and win, keeping their AFC playoff hopes alive for another week.

With the Steelers leading 30-28 with 3:58 remaining on Sunday, Jeff Reed’s bouncing attempt was fielded by Pittsburgh’s Ike Taylor before it traveled the required 10 yards. Green Bay took over at the Pittsburgh 39 and needed just six plays to score on Aaron Rodgers’ 24-yard pass to James Jones for a 36-30 lead.

If the Steelers had lost, Tomlin might have been spent the next six months explaining the call.

“My 8-year-old asked me what I was thinking. Other than that, I make no apologies,” Tomlin said. “In the latter part of the fourth quarter, I felt that both offenses were capable of moving the football. Making that decision to kick the onside kick started first and foremost with the belief we could get the football legally. We weren’t able to do that. Even if we weren’t able to do that with four minutes left, if we were not able to stop them, I felt we’d have significant time to navigate down the field.”

The Steelers had just enough time, with Ben Roethlisberger throwing a 19-yard TD pass to Mike Wallace on the final play to finish off the quarterback’s 503-yard passing day and end the Steelers’ five-game losing streak.

Tomlin also explained the idea was to hold Green Bay to a field goal— though, if that was the thinking, the prudent thing to do would have been to kick the ball deep, creating the greater possibility of a turnover or a stalled drive.

Regardless, the Steelers players now head into their final two games wondering why there’s any reason to be confident in the defense when the head coach apparently isn’t.

“We had 30 minutes of evidence to show they could also drive the ball on us,” Tomlin said. “That’s why we took the risk when we did.”

That Pittsburgh defense was the NFL’s best the last two seasons, leading the league in fewest yards, passing yards and points allowed in 2008. The Steelers are a respectable No. 6 overall this season, and No. 1 against the run, yet at this stage of the season their defense looks nothing like it did last year.

Last season, the Steelers allowed 10 points or fewer to five of their final seven opponents. This season, teams are scoring far more than that in the fourth quarter alone. The Steelers have given up 43 points in the final quarter—22 to Green Bay, 21 to Oakland—in their last two home games.

For the season, the Steelers’ 121 points allowed in the fourth quarter are the second-most in the league. By comparison, the New Orleans Saints have permitted 34 points and Baltimore, which plays in Pittsburgh on Sunday, has given up 59.

The breakdowns by the Steelers’ secondary are evident, too. Only Minnesota and Arizona have allowed more yards passing in the fourth quarter than the Steelers’ 1,142, and the 11 TD passes thrown against them in the final 15 minutes are a league high.

That secondary would look a lot better with safety Troy Polamalu(notes) in it, but he has missed all but a few plays of their last six games with a left knee injury. Tomlin offered no update Tuesday on Polamalu, who said last week he hopes to return Jan. 3 against Miami.

Tomlin has so few options—rookie Joe Burnett looked unsteady when inserted at cornerback—that he hasn’t been able to sub out any of the defensive backs who are struggling. Right now, that’s about everyone in the secondary.

The Steelers also aren’t forcing turnovers; they haven’t intercepted a pass in six games, and no Pittsburgh cornerback has picked off a pass all season.

At least no one in Pittsburgh is having to spend any time thinking up a catchy nickname for this defense. The Steel Curtain, it’s not.

Threads : 122

Default Re: Too funny..even his son is on his *** about the onside kick

The onside kick was the right call. Gave us more options and gave our offense 2 chances. If we get the kick, which we should have, we get the ball. If we don't get the kick, it shortens the field that GB would have to go to shred our D (which it did) so it left time for our offense. If we kick it deep and GB has to go 80 yds they eat up most the time left.

Threads : 10

“I just told him to be quiet,” Tomlin said, laughing, on Tuesday.
    That might work with an 8 yr old boy.

Try it here and see what happens.....

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The onside kick was the right call. Gave us more options and gave our offense 2 chances. If we get the kick, which we should have, we get the ball. If we don't get the kick, it shortens the field that GB would have to go to shred our D (which it did) so it left time for our offense. If we kick it deep and GB has to go 80 yds they eat up most the time left.
    It took a long TD pass play on the last play. If you think that Tomlin had that as part of the plan, then you are delusional. He made the wrong call and was saved by some luck, Ben Roethlisberger, and Mike Wallace. If it wasn't for those three things, the Steelers lose and everybody who is defending his decision now would be crucifying him.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Medium Ben View Post
    It took a long TD pass play on the last play. If you think that Tomlin had that as part of the plan, then you are delusional. He made the wrong call and was saved by some luck, Ben Roethlisberger, and Mike Wallace. If it wasn't for those three things, the Steelers lose and everybody who is defending his decision now would be crucifying him.
    ... And if he hadn't gone for it, and they (GB) marched down the field and scored on our D with no/little time left, others would be crucifying him...

I just spent about 10 hours in my Explorer over the last two days listening to alot of talk about that play... Even the majority of pundits are saying it made sense... But really, at this point, it doesn't really matter, does it?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was the right call for the situation. The offense had just enough time to score a touchdown and did so. It all worked out and we got the win which is what it's all about.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 34

I gotta admit...I was ****ing furious when it happened...but looking back, it was the reason we won the game. Our defense ****ing sucks...I don't care what their rank is, they SUCK!
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 21

Why do all these people (media/talking heads) keep missing the point with this thing? If you didn't watch the game then don't comment on it. I think most of the opinions being spewed are just looking at a couple of facts:

1. They tried an on-side kick while leading (true)
    2. Tomlin did not trust his defense (true)

But let's look at the LARGER picture:

1. Time Remaining in the Game - 3:58

2. Average Green Bay scoring drives prior to the attempted on-side kick - 6 Plays for 67 yds in 3:05
    3. Number of TD's surrendered in the Quarter by Steeler defense (this game) - 2
    4. Total points surrendered in the 4th Quarter by Steeler defense - 113
    5. Average drive start for Green Bay following Steeler Kick-offs - GB 30
    6. Time Outs remaining - GB (1) Pitt (2)

So basically, by kicking deep, the stats tell us that with all probability Green Bay would have started on their own 30 with about 3:50 (deducted 8 seconds for the KO) remaining in the game. Previous games and present game shows a Steeler defense with a definite propensity for allowing 4th quater scores. So, using The Packers average scoring drive for this game, after kicking deep and the Packers scoring a TD, we would have had no timeouts and about 45 seconds on the clock.

So I can't see how this was a bad decision. Sorry defense but you have not shown a reason to trust you in the 4th quarter. Nothing personal, after all this is PROFFESIONAL football. You have lost 4th quarter leads to Jay Cutler (23rd rated), Matt Cassell (23rd rated), Joe Flacco (14th rated) and Bruce Gradkowski (28th rated). I don't like my chances against Aaron Rogers (4th rated).

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... And if he hadn't gone for it, and they (GB) marched down the field and scored on our D with no/little time left, others would be crucifying him...

I just spent about 10 hours in my Explorer over the last two days listening to alot of talk about that play... Even the majority of pundits are saying it made sense... But really, at this point, it doesn't really matter, does it?
    If we were worried about GB scoring then why didn't we do everything in our power to milk the clock down to the final seconds and punch it in in the final seconds when the score was 28-23?

It seems that would have given us a better chance to win.

Instead we scored, didn't get the onside kick, gave up a score, then drove the length of the field to win the game with no time left. I say this scenario may produce a win 1 out of 10 times. We got a lucky, lucky break.

I also would like to hear what Tomlin would have said if the Packers decided to run 3, 4 or 5 plays, milk the clock down to 3 seconds, then kick the game winner making the score 31-30. With the onside kick giving them field goal position right out of the gate. We were very, very, very fortunate that the Packers scored a touchdown otherwise this onside kick was absolutely the worst call even if it did produce a win, luckily.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Frankly, killing time and going for a punch in hasn't worked anywhere near what I would consider to be regularly. Taking the opportunities as they arise and busking it otherwise is about the best way forward this year.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    Why do all these people (media/talking heads) keep missing the point with this thing? If you didn't watch the game then don't comment on it. I think most of the opinions being spewed are just looking at a couple of facts:

1. They tried an on-side kick while leading (true)
    2. Tomlin did not trust his defense (true)

But let's look at the LARGER picture:

1. Time Remaining in the Game - 3:58

2. Average Green Bay scoring drives prior to the attempted on-side kick - 6 Plays for 67 yds in 3:05
    3. Number of TD's surrendered in the Quarter by Steeler defense (this game) - 2
    4. Total points surrendered in the 4th Quarter by Steeler defense - 113
    5. Average drive start for Green Bay following Steeler Kick-offs - GB 30
    6. Time Outs remaining - GB (1) Pitt (2)

So basically, by kicking deep, the stats tell us that with all probability Green Bay would have started on their own 30 with about 3:50 (deducted 8 seconds for the KO) remaining in the game. Previous games and present game shows a Steeler defense with a definite propensity for allowing 4th quater scores. So, using The Packers average scoring drive for this game, after kicking deep and the Packers scoring a TD, we would have had no timeouts and about 45 seconds on the clock.

So I can't see how this was a bad decision. Sorry defense but you have not shown a reason to trust you in the 4th quarter. Nothing personal, after all this is PROFFESIONAL football. You have lost 4th quarter leads to Jay Cutler (23rd rated), Matt Cassell (23rd rated), Joe Flacco (14th rated) and Bruce Gradkowski (28th rated). I don't like my chances against Aaron Rogers (4th rated).

Why is everyone harping on the Packers scoring a touchdown and leaving us time to drive the length of the field to win the game?

The Packers scoring a touchdown by McCarthy was about as stupid as Tomlin calling for an onside kick. All the Packers had to do after the failed onside kick was get one first down. Take a few knees and kick a field goal with no time left. We should have never seen the ball again if the Packers didn't **** it up at the end.

Threads : 3263

Well, I think it's obvious that we have serious defensive issues (understatement of the century)... The only hope we have... ONLY HOPE... Is for Ben to keep flinging the rock for 400-500 yds per game and hope we can outscore the opponent... Our secondary, specifically the safety position, is dreadful beyond compare... Every team knows it, and will exploit it... If I recall correctly, we haven't made an INT since the Denver game... Either way, these Pittsburgh Steelers are not what we thought they were... Questionable/debatable calls could very well be the result of weeks of frustrations.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    Frankly, killing time and going for a punch in hasn't worked anywhere near what I would consider to be regularly. Taking the opportunities as they arise and busking it otherwise is about the best way forward this year.

I agree but since the Packers couldn't stop us and we couldn't stop them I would have liked my chances in this game to punch it in at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Well, I think it's obvious that we have serious defensive issues (understatement of the century)... The only hope we have... ONLY HOPE... Is for Ben to keep flinging the rock for 400-500 yds per game and hope we can outscore the opponent... Our secondary, specifically the safety position, is dreadful beyond compare... Every team knows it, and will exploit it... If I recall correctly, we haven't made an INT since the Denver game... Either way, these Pittsburgh Steelers are not what we thought they were... Questionable/debatable calls could very well be the result of weeks of frustrations.

Chris Hope?

Man, we should have kept that dude around now that we look at it.

Threads : 21

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Why is everyone harping on the Packers scoring a touchdown and leaving us time to drive the length of the field to win the game?

The Packers scoring a touchdown by McCarthy was about as stupid as Tomlin calling for an onside kick. All the Packers had to do after the failed onside kick was get one first down. Take a few knees and kick a field goal with no time left. We should have never seen the ball again if the Packers didn't **** it up at the end.
    McCarthy should have tried to kill some of the clock but they are not a running team we had 2 T.O and over 3 minutes so a good chance we hold them to a FG like Tomlin was hoping for than have 90 seconds or so to get into fg range.

The packers kicker almost hooked an XP and missed a FG earlier I am glad Tomlin took the gamble.

Cincy,Oak,Bears all 3 loses the defense gave up a lead with less than a minute to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information