Thread: Capps set to choose between Cubs, Nationals

Threads : 691

Default Capps set to choose between Cubs, Nationals

Capps set to choose between Cubs, Nationals
    Pirates out of picture for recently released closer
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteFormer Pirates pitcher Matt Capps is expected to sign with the Cubs or Nationals.Matt Capps is about to choose his next employer, and it evidently will be a new one.

Capps, the Pirates' closer the past three seasons who was released Dec. 12, said last night that he expects to sign with either the Chicago Cubs or Washington Nationals "in the next couple of days," this after hearing from 16 teams, including the Pirates, during his brief time as a free agent.

"The way I see it, it's a great opportunity, a great situation whichever way I go," Capps said. "To be in Chicago with that atmosphere every day, and to look at the improvements they've made in Washington ... this will be good either way."

The Pirates had not formally withdrawn from the process as of yesterday afternoon, but a team official confirmed they had shifted their focus elsewhere.

General manager Neal Huntington had maintained contact with Capps and his agent, Paul Kinzer, after the Pirates declined to tender him a contract toward salary arbitration. Capps made $2.425 million this past season while posting a 5.80 ERA and, at the time of the non-tender, the Pirates expressed a concern that the arbitration process could produce an award well above what they felt was fair value.

The Pirates' final offer to Capps was close to $3 million.

Capps has received better salary offers from the Cubs and Nationals, and they might cover more than one year.

Of the Pirates no longer being in the equation, Capps said, "It's a shame it worked out the way it did, but I'll say it again: I've enjoyed every minute I've spent in Pittsburgh, and I look forward to every time I'll come back there."

Capps is being pressured from Chicago and Washington, not only from those teams' general managers but also from a few former Pirates: John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny with the Cubs, Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett with the Nationals.

"Been really nice to hear from those guys, but I have to make up my own mind and do what's best," Capps said.

If Capps goes to Chicago, he likely will be a setup man to Carlos Marmol. In Washington, he would continue to be a closer.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09357...#ixzz0aWlVDoQW
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 2

Default Re: Capps set to choose between Cubs, Nationals

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Capps set to choose between Cubs, Nationals
    Pirates out of picture for recently released closer
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazetteFormer Pirates pitcher Matt Capps is expected to sign with the Cubs or Nationals.Matt Capps is about to choose his next employer, and it evidently will be a new one.

Capps, the Pirates' closer the past three seasons who was released Dec. 12, said last night that he expects to sign with either the Chicago Cubs or Washington Nationals "in the next couple of days," this after hearing from 16 teams, including the Pirates, during his brief time as a free agent.

"The way I see it, it's a great opportunity, a great situation whichever way I go," Capps said. "To be in Chicago with that atmosphere every day, and to look at the improvements they've made in Washington ... this will be good either way."

The Pirates had not formally withdrawn from the process as of yesterday afternoon, but a team official confirmed they had shifted their focus elsewhere.

General manager Neal Huntington had maintained contact with Capps and his agent, Paul Kinzer, after the Pirates declined to tender him a contract toward salary arbitration. Capps made $2.425 million this past season while posting a 5.80 ERA and, at the time of the non-tender, the Pirates expressed a concern that the arbitration process could produce an award well above what they felt was fair value.

The Pirates' final offer to Capps was close to $3 million.

Capps has received better salary offers from the Cubs and Nationals, and they might cover more than one year.

Of the Pirates no longer being in the equation, Capps said, "It's a shame it worked out the way it did, but I'll say it again: I've enjoyed every minute I've spent in Pittsburgh, and I look forward to every time I'll come back there."

Capps is being pressured from Chicago and Washington, not only from those teams' general managers but also from a few former Pirates: John Grabow and Tom Gorzelanny with the Cubs, Nyjer Morgan and Sean Burnett with the Nationals.

"Been really nice to hear from those guys, but I have to make up my own mind and do what's best," Capps said.

If Capps goes to Chicago, he likely will be a setup man to Carlos Marmol. In Washington, he would continue to be a closer.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09357...#ixzz0aWlVDoQW
    As with almost all former Pirate players I wish him well with whomever he signs. Except when playing against the Pirates, of course...

Looks like there was a market for Capps after all, especially if he gets more than teh Bucs offered for more than one year. A mistake giving away talent that the Bucs cannot afford. I like alot of what NH has done, but this move baffles me. All about the money.

Threads : 21

yeah Go Blow game for the cubs, you think they hated Bradley. Wait till he blows 3 or 4 games in a row for them. Even if he is a setup man he is not worth more than 3mill.

Nationals are just signing whoever they can just to say hey we tried.

I find it funny not one playoff team wants him.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PE1 View Post
    Looks like there was a market for Capps after all, especially if he gets more than teh Bucs offered for more than one year. A mistake giving away talent that the Bucs cannot afford. I like alot of what NH has done, but this move baffles me. All about the money.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"talent"???

Really? It does not take much talent to throw 95 straight down the middle of the plate.

By the way when Capps has a 4.50 ERA come June 1 we'll look back at this.

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

the much lauded matt capps is on the verge of a 1 year deal with the natinals:

The Washington Nationals are closing in on a one-year deal with Matt Capps, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Assuming the deal is completed, sources say that Capps -- who was not tendered a contract by the Pittsburgh Pirates earlier this month -- would go to spring training as the presumptive favorite to be the Nationals' closer.

Capps' agent, Paul Kinzer, denied that an agreement has been reached. "We're still going over the offers and talking. It won't be until later tonight. We have not made a decision,'' Kinzer said.

Capps attracted interest from 16 clubs upon becoming a free agent 10 days ago. He narrowed his list of finalists to the Nationals and Chicago Cubs, and is expected to make his decision official Wednesday night.

Capps, 26, amassed 66 saves from 2007 through 2009 in Pittsburgh. But the right-hander's ERA spiked from 3.02 to 5.80 last season.

Washington is in desperate need of an upgrade to a bullpen that posted a 24-39 record and ranked last in the majors with a 5.09 ERA last season.

Information from ESPN The Magazine senior writer Buster Olney and ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick was used this report.

ESPN article

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    "talent"???

Really? It does not take much talent to throw 95 straight down the middle of the plate.

By the way when Capps has a 4.50 ERA come June 1 we'll look back at this.
    Look, man, my point on this was never about the guy's real talent, it was about the organization optimizing his perceived value. They screwed up imho, as I wrote more thana few times on here. Baffles the hell out of me, but I don't plan on beating a deadhorse on the subject....

Threads : 158

When Capps has a 5.00+ ERA this year we'll talk about this again...

Threads : 34

What improvements has Washington made? Seriously, I don't know, did they sign a bunch of guys and I missed it? Last I checked the Nats were the only team worse off than us!
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    What improvements has Washington made? Seriously, I don't know, did they sign a bunch of guys and I missed it? Last I checked the Nats were the only team worse off than us!
    Their only improvement is that they got the Sidney Crosby treatment. Meaning, their best improvement was getting the #1 pick last year and getting a bad *** pitcher that should get on their MLB roster this year in Stephen Strasburg. the rest of their team blows. Capps, Marquis and Burnett.... sounds like a bunch of Dave Littlefield moves to me

Threads : 5

Quote Originally Posted by PE1 View Post
    You're right. The mighty Washington Nationals really wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    When Capps has a 5.00+ ERA this year we'll talk about this again...
    It'll be the Pirate's fault because they undermined his confidence by not giving him what he wanted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information