Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gay no longer starting at corner

Threads : 14

Default Gay no longer starting at corner

Steelers Notebook: Gay no longer starting at corner
    Thursday, December 24, 2009
    By Chuck Finder and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09358/1023340-66.stm

Coach Mike Tomlin has stirred -- if not shaken -- up a Steelers secondary carved recently as if it were a holiday dinner entree.

Tomlin yesterday informed starting cornerback William Gay that his role would change for this week against Baltimore, at least.

Gay was demoted to nickel-package duty at cornerback while longtime starting left cornerback Deshea Townsend was elevated to the first team. Townsend will continue to cover the slot receiver in the nickel.

"That was the decision Coach gave me. That's the game plan, I guess," Gay said after yesterday's practice. "You got to always go with the head coach. He makes the best decisions to suit the situation. I just got to go in and do my best. The season isn't over yet. And you're always one play away [from an injury to a regular player]. You definitely want to stay ready."

Townsend remains a trivia question poignant to the secondary's current woes: Who is the last Steelers cornerback to intercept a pass in a regular-season or playoff game?

"Probably would be me," Townsend answered correctly, in reference to his pick against Baltimore in the AFC championship game -- 15 such games ago. "Let's see if we can get it done this week."

The Steelers have allowed 308 and 383 yards passing in their past two home games, against the Raiders and Packers, and three touchdowns apiece. They rank second-to-last in the NFL with just eight interceptions, none by cornerbacks.
    Polamalu a no-go

Safety Troy Polamalu said the results of a magnetic resonance imaging on his injured knee were "encouraging," but added that it is unlikely he will return to practice this week, meaning he will not play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.

Polamalu has missed the past six games with a strain to the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that can take up to six weeks to heal.
    Infirm starters absent

Missing practice yesterday because of injuries were: defensive end Brett Keisel (neck), reserve cornerback Anthony Madison (illness), backup halfback Willie Parker (knee) and receiver Hines Ward (hamstring), who usually sits out Wednesdays along with linebacker James Farrior, a healthy scratch from practice.

Limited in practice were: halfback Rashard Mendenhall (hip), receiver Mike Wallace (knee) and reserve cornerback Keenan Lewis (back).

Left guard Chris Kemoeatu, who sat out all of last week to rest an ailing wrist, returned to practice and considered himself healthy enough to start.
    Welcome the new guys

Graybeard receiver Joey Galloway, who really does have a gray-flecked beard, was gleeful about donning black and gold. Long snapper Jared Retkofsky felt a tad bittersweet over the situation that placed him back in those colors.

So went the first official day of work for those signed Tuesday to replace Limas Sweed (illness/personal) and Greg Warren (successful surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament yesterday), who were put on injured reserve.

"You always dream of those opportunities," said Galloway, a 15-year vet who grew up a Steelers fan in Bellaire, Ohio.

He was cut Oct. 20 by New England, returned to his Columbus, Ohio, home to prepare for the holidays and got the call from the Steelers while Christmas shopping.

Retkofsky had workouts with Washington, Atlanta and Houston while selling real estate in Fort Worth, Texas, where he admittedly wore to work the Super Bowl XLIII ring he won while filling in last year when Warren tore the ACL in his other leg. He actually got the call from Warren, who told him of the opening.
    Quick hits

The Ravens signed cornerback Corey Ivy, who spent the week before the Nov. 29 Baltimore game as a member of the Steelers. ... The Steelers submitted their ballots yesterday for the Pro Bowl a week before the Super Bowl in Miami. They weren't allowed to vote for teammates, however.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09358/10 ... z0aaHsfjGt

Threads : 0
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gay no longer starting at corner

ahh it's about time!

I wonder why we keep signing receivers and all these special team players (although thats understandable), but we don't sign any corners (unless they're for special teams)... somebody out there has got to be better than gay!!!!

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Townsend hasn't been the least bit impressive this season either but it's sad to say that he's still an upgrade over Gay.

Threads : 691

Kinda of sucks that our rookie C.B.'s haven't shown enough to beat out either of them.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kinda of sucks that our rookie C.B.'s haven't shown enough to beat out either of them.
    This! I'm hoping it's simply a matter of not being comfortable enough in the defense and Lebeau would rather have a smart veteran back there who probably won't make any mistakes mentally.

Burnett looked bad against Breen Bay a few times. Some of it was technique, some was mental mistakes and some of it was physical, hopefully, he'll get better over the off season and be a viable candidate next year. Right now, he isn't.

Papillon

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by Papillon View Post
    This! I'm hoping it's simply a matter of not being comfortable enough in the defense and Lebeau would rather have a smart veteran back there who probably won't make any mistakes mentally.

Burnett looked bad against Breen Bay a few times. Some of it was technique, some was mental mistakes and some of it was physical, hopefully, he'll get better over the off season and be a viable candidate next year. Right now, he isn't.

Papillon
    Hey Papillon great to have you aboard here!

We need a CB with good ball skills. Even any smart safety could have gone up and knocked the ball away from Finley on the one TD.

Keep eveything in perspective folks..not too many teams (0 in fact!!) can say that they have won 2 SB's in the last 5 years!

sjdrewk

DeShea is older but he is better than Gay. Gay in my mind is talented enough to fill a roll off the bench but he is not a Starter.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Townsend hasn't been the least bit impressive this season either but it's sad to say that he's still an upgrade over Gay.
    Put them both in a bag and shake it and pull one out......the same.

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post

Threads : 88

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    DeShea is older but he is better than Gay. [HIGH-LIGHT]Gay in my mind is talented enough to fill a roll [/HIGH-LIGHT]off the bench but he is not a Starter.
    Assuming you want nothing more complicated in that roll than, say, cheese and onion or ham and tomato. Add mustard or mayonnaise and he'd be so confused he'd miss the assignment.

What bizarre use of metaphore, even bu my own standard. I'm just having one of those days.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 48

Yeah,you pretty much need a degree in bionuclear engineering to be able to understand DL's defense in your first year.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    Assuming you want nothing more complicated in that roll than, say, cheese and onion or ham and tomato. Add mustard or mayonnaise and he'd be so confused he'd miss the assignment.

What bizarre use of metaphore, even bu my own standard. I'm just having one of those days.
    Wrong role, roll whatever. He is a back up that they gambled on that could start. He is not a starter.

Threads : 88

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    Wrong role, roll whatever. He is a back up that they gambled on that could start. He is not a starter.
    It was my intention to use the homophonic nature of "roll" to underscore my lack of confidence of Gay's ability to... well, do just about most things he might be asked to.

No criticism was intended. The problem with the written word is that, even with a complex unctuative system, we still have to guess at inflection. Sorry about that.

Back to the topic (or at least vaguely close to it), has anyone seen a potential draft candidate for that position? I'm afraid I'm not yet into College Football, partly because I have no affiliation to a college out here.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    It was my intention to use the homophonic nature of "roll" to underscore my lack of confidence of Gay's ability to... well, do just about most things he might be asked to.

No criticism was intended. The problem with the written word is that, even with a complex unctuative system, we still have to guess at inflection. Sorry about that.
    Don't sweat it, none, War.....I do use the wrong word in some instances because I am not thinking about it too hard such as using the wrong their, theyre and there in some cases. Not because I don't know which is which but because I make mistakes when I type and I don't worry about it too much..

Threads : 49

Papillon
    Let's keep this in mind, though, Burnett has seen the field as a CB for the FIRST time as a rookie two weeks. He's going up against WR's that have been playing the WHOLE year in actual games. The Packers offense has been, and is still, playing very well offensively right now.

Burnett slipped a couple times and didn't look all that great out there, but he's got some talent. He needs to see the field some more to determine if he'll grow into a starter.

Gay being benched as a starter is probably a good thing, but Townsend has looked pretty awful this year as well, which is something a lot of people might not realize or have noticed. He's pretty much done as an NFL CB, IMO. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, though. Luckily, the Ravens WR's are almost as old as Townsend and not as dangerous as some WR's out there.

I still don't understand why Lewis isn't seeing the field at all.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information