Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got to ask John Clayton...

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I got to ask John Clayton...

If he foresaw any coaching changes in Pittsburgh at the end of the season and would it change if the Steelers made the playoffs? His response was that he was certain that there would be some changes regardless of whether the Steelers made the playoffs. Bruce Arians is fighting to save his job, but insiders are saying that members of the front office are not happy that Arians is abandoning the run game and some of his comments to other coaches about internal issues.
    Every wednesday, Clayton is on ESPN 1000's Afternoon Saloon. From his answer, it sounds like there are some other issues besides playcalling and that it doesn't sound like he will be back.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

sjdrewk

Default Re: I got to ask John Clayton...

Just curious, how'd you get to ask Clayton ? Was it on an online chat? He's okay, but we probably all know Arians is perhaps coaching his last games for the Steelers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is on an espn radio show in chicago every wednesday and yesterday, after weeks of calling, I finally got to ask him my question.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is on an espn radio show in chicago every wednesday and yesterday, after weeks of calling, I finally got to ask him my question.
    Oh that's cool. It's really hard to get on air because so many people call I bet.

Threads : 182

The hug that happened between Ariens and Tomlin at end of packers game was in my mind quite fake. Good to see that Gay is benched -- Hopefully Deshea can do better...why can't we just do man under and safety over top all the time with Deshea.

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    The hug that happened between Ariens and Tomlin at end of packers game was in my mind quite fake. Good to see that Gay is benched -- Hopefully Deshea can do better...why can't we just do man under and safety over top all the time with Deshea.
    Because, the safeties aren't very good either.

Papillon

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bruce Arians is fighting to save his job, but insiders are saying that members of the front office are not happy that Arians is abandoning the run game and some of his comments to other coaches about internal issues.
    Can't say that this comment makes me happy. I'm sure there are some (and i know there's at least 1) that wants to see the Steelers return to their early 70's power run game roots... I personally don't. I'd like to see the run mixed in more and better than what Arians has done. I'd like to see the run game utilized more like the Saints do that has gotten the Saints a Top 10 run game to go along with a great passing game, but I want absolutely nothing to do with an offense that wastes the talent of Ben and the WR's/Heath seeing a $100 million QB handing the ball off over 60% of the time

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Can't say that this comment makes me happy. I'm sure there are some (and i know there's at least 1) that wants to see the Steelers return to their early 70's power run game roots... I personally don't. I'd like to see the run mixed in more and better than what Arians has done. I'd like to see the run game utilized more like the Saints do that has gotten the Saints a Top 10 run game to go along with a great passing game, but I want absolutely nothing to do with an offense that wastes the talent of Ben and the WR's/Heath seeing a $100 million QB handing the ball off over 60% of the time
    Agreed Kipper. The problem is Arians offense is all or nothing. Not enough 5 to 15 yard passes. It seems like 3/4 of our pass plays are stay patterns to WR in the bunch formation or 25 yards downfield. I have seen Ben pass up waaaaayyyyyyyyyy too many wide open backs and TE for an easy 5 yard pickup to take a shot downfield and either throw into double coverage or take a sack.

Arians also is not creative enough. Finally saw a little creativity in the Pack game. Got Logan involved. More short passes to Mendenhall which went for like 80 yards. This is the type of thing we need. A quick pass to your RB for an easy 5 yard gain on first down is just as good as a handoff. You just gotta design those plays! Green Bay's TE Finley destroyed our secondary. Teams keep an eye on Heath. We have this other TE that is 6'7" tall and 270lbs and was a pass catching TE when we drafted him. Most OC's would shoot one off in their pants to have a redzone weapon like Spaeth. We haven't thrown to him once in the endzone this entire year that I can recall. Not enough to remember anyway.

I think getting a new OC that has the authority and balls to tell Ben to STFU and run the plays that are called and look for the checkdown would go a long way. I think a new OC with some creativity that maximizes his players talents would go a long way.

And as far as the behind the scenes issues.....I mentioned a few days ago how Jay Glazer and Ed Bouchette were saying that Arians was making fun of Tomlin behind his back to other coaches and that those coaches mentioned it to Glazer and Glazer is real good friends with Tomlin.

I couldn't find a link to it though! Just saw it mentioned on another board.

Here is what I saw......

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44892

On PG + Site:

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...=58&Itemid=155

"Look for Bruce Arians to be fired after the season. I was not sure about that until someone told me that Jay Glazier said Arians has been making fun of Tomlin to other coaches. Now, I do not know if that is true or not. But I do know that Tomlin and Glazier are tight, so if Glazier said that, Tomlin must believe it.

Goodbye, B.A."

Also repeated by Jay Glazer on his site:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/s...ountdown-122009

"There is no doubt Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin has heard that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hasn't been too kind to him with his friends. Look for Tomlin to pull the plug on his offensive coordinator in the offseason."

So take it for what it is worth......

sjdrewk

that's the one silver lining to this season, we should see Arians gone with the wind.

I had been trying to call in to talk to John for at least the last 7 weeks, and yeah, with all the callers it is pretty hard to get through.
    I didn't get the impression that the Steelers front office members wanted to get back to the smashmouth power running game. What I got out of Clayton's answer was,according to the insiders, they are not running enough to make effective use of play action, and they question throwing downfield on 3rd and 1 or 2 all the time. He also said that for the Steelers to make the playoffs, it'll have to be on the arm of Roethlisberger.
    The Saints offense is the perfect offense to compare what the Steelers should be doing.They have an outstanding running game, but they know that Brees passing is the way to win games. this is the offense I envision the next OC to install.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think we're past the point of running the ball 70% of the time. That being said, throwing 70% of the time isn't acceptable either. You keep putting up the Saints as some kind of an example, but it's not a fair comparison and I'll tell you why. New Orleans plays in a dome on artificial turf in a division that plays almost no defense. Pittsburgh plays outdoors on grass in a division that produces some of the best defenses in football. If the Steelers played against the defenses the Saints see, they'd be putting up unbelieveable offensive numbers too. Just a poor poor comparison.

The biggest knock against Arians in my book is Ben's regression as a QB. He's making the same dumb throws and stupid decisions that he was making three years ago. Unacceptable.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I want for Christmas is for Bruce Arians to be fired!!!!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think severalpeople have made valid points: Weighting the game heavily toward the run or the pass is too predictable. Mixing and balancing would be best. This season has shown that a pass attack is possible. I'm not even slightly convinced that Arians is the man to initiate the mixing process.

Well done on persevering enough to get your call through!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 49

I saw on another Steelers forum that one of the posters on there is apparently a blogger for nfl.com and was in the locker room after the Packers win. According to the poster/blogger, Arians dresses like a "gay man from the 1890s" and apparently he wears these weird golf hats. He sort of jive walked out of the locker room. He found it to be very bizarre. I thought it was one of the funniest things I've read in a very, very long time.

I'm starting to get the sense that Arians is definitely gone, but who knows. It really is starting to sound like Tomlin hates him, especially if it's true about the Arians rumor. Tomlin and Arians didn't look too buddy-buddy on the sideline last week.

I recall brucey's interview last year before the Super Bowl, and while I don't recall it word for word, he basically took all the credit for the success of the offense and blamed the players for when things didn't go well. He was very arrogant. I can't wait to see him go.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information