Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meyer "Stepping Down" as Coach...

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Meyer "Stepping Down" as Coach...

Saturday, December 26, 2009
    Meyer to coach final game at Sugar Bowl
    ESPN.com news services

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Meyer "Stepping Down" as Coach...

Shocking!!!!

.... and more bad news for the UC Bearcats!!!

There has got to be more news to this story..... Why exactly?....

.... Either way, this puts Florida at a disadvantage looking for a coach... They are seriously behind the 8-ball now.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Return of the O.B.C.?
    How about Phil Fulmer? lol ... or Charlie Weis?
    Chucky Gruden?
    Maybe Tebow will stick around and be the Head Coach next year?

It really doesn't put UF at that big of a disadvantage... they'll just take a coach from some other school. That school will be ****ed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It really doesn't put UF at that big of a disadvantage... they'll just take a coach from some other school. That school will be ****ed!!!
    Assuming that a coach would be willing to leave at this point (**** is already in motion, and most guys might think twice. Recruiting has already started)... But you are exactly right...

They can have Rich Rod!!! ....He probably would be a great fit there.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    They can have Rich Rod!!! ....He probably would be a great fit there.
    Bite your tongue!... ... I'm also a Gator fan (amongst other schools)...

Threads : 94

The extent of Urban Meyer's cardiac problems is that his heart was broken because he didn't get the Notre Dame job.

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    The extent of Urban Meyer's cardiac problems is that his heart was broken because he didn't get the Notre Dame job.
    What a dumbass comment... Notre Dame sucks, you ****ing homer... Get a grip.

... And moreso... You don't have a ****ing clue as to what is going on with him... The man took UF to 2 championships and is quite young... He apparently had health issues on-going from what I've read or heard in the last few hours...

You talk a decent game for about 70% of the time, and the rest of it is no different than the *******s that post useless ****... You're an ND Golden Domer homer, and since you can't separate **** such as this, are relegated to dog **** in my opinion...

.... Actually, I feel sorry for dumbasses such as yourself that don't have any perspective towards reality....

You are definitely not even worth bantering with...
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; Dec-26-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Threads : 1632

Off topic but how is your good buddy doing NKy?

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Off topic but how is your good buddy doing NKy?
    ... Not good... He's back on life support and I wasn't allowed to visit him today... It's rough, and have been at the hospital multiple hours each day... Hopefully I can provide a positive update tomorrow, but for now he is still in ICU.

Threads : 1632

Sooners' Stoops would have tough time turning down Gators
    by Matt Hayes
    http://www.sportingnews.com/college-...ng-down-gators

If you think Urban Meyer's resignation from Florida was whirlwind, wait and see how long it takes Gators athletic director Jeremy Foley to hire Meyer's replacement.

It could be done within a week.

The dead/quiet period in high school recruiting lasts until Jan. 3, and you better believe Foley's goal is to have a coach in place by the time eligible contact with players resumes.

The top five candidates to replace Meyer:

Oklahoma's Bob Stoops should top Florida's wish list to replace Urban Meyer.

1. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma

As tempting as Notre Dame was for Stoops, this job could be too tough to turn down. Stoops and his family have a home at Crescent Beach (a little more than an hour outside Gainesville), and he and Foley are close friends. Florida will pay Stoops what he wants, and he'll walk into a ready-made championship program with the best resources and recruiting base in the nation.

One more thing: the Gators could conceivably beat Notre Dame to their No. 1 choice yet again (see: Meyer, 2005).

2. Kevin Sumlin, Houston
    He doesn't have ties to the SEC and hasn't coached at the BCS level. Then again, neither did Meyer. And as former Purdue coach Joe Tiller once said: "Don't interview Kevin Sumlin unless you're going to hire him. After you talk to him, you'll hire him."

Sumlin's offenses have been among the best in the nation at Houston, and he would open up the state of Texas for Florida in recruiting. His smooth style and personality would win over elite recruits—and fat-cat boosters.

3. Jim Harbaugh, Stanford
    So he already signed his deal at Stanford. And that means exactly what in the high stakes game of coaching changes? There are few coaches who could match Meyer's dynamic personality and ability to get players to perform at their highest level. Harbaugh is that kind of coach, a guy who wouldn't wilt in the shadow of what Meyer has built.

4. Chris Petersen, Boise State
    Petersen couldn't be in a better situation—and has been told as much by two guys who left Boise State for BCS jobs: Colorado coach Dan Hawkins and former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter. But this is Florida, and no disrespect to CU or ASU, but this is a completely different deal.

If the search moved to Petersen, the coach who has three unbeaten regular seasons in the last four years would have to leave.

5. Bobby Petrino, Arkansas
    Yes, he said Arkansas was his last stop. Yes, he's a coaching nomad. And of course he would leave. Petrino was on Foley's short list when he hired Meyer, and he has one of the game's best offensive minds. The only question: Can he recruit at Florida?

Threads : 691

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida coach Urban Meyer, who was admitted to a hospital because of chest pains following the Southeastern Conference championship game, is stepping down because of health concerns.

"There was no heart damage," Meyer told The New York Times, referring to the night he was admitted to the hospital. "But I didn't want there to be a bad day where there were three kids sitting around wondering what to do next. It was the pattern of what I was doing and how I was doing it. It was self-destructive."

Meyer resigned Saturday after five seasons in Gainesville and two national titles. He goes into the Sugar Bowl with a 56-10 record at Florida that includes a 32-8 mark in league play and a school-record 22-game winning streak ended early this month against Alabama.

HISTORIC RUN
    Urban Meyer is stepping down at Florida after the Allstate Sugar Bowl, and he goes out on top among current FBS coaches. His win percentage is the highest among active coaches with at least five years experience.

Coach School Record Win pct.
    Urban Meyer Florida 95-18 .841
    Pete Carroll USC 96-19 .835
    Bob Stoops Oklahoma 116-29 .800
    Mark Richt Georgia 89-27 .767
    Gary Patterson TCU 85-27 .759

Meyer, 45, says he consulted with his family, his doctors, school president Bernie Machen and athletic director Jeremy Foley before deciding it is in his best interest to focus on his health and family. Meyer told his wife and three children on Christmas he planned to quit as Florida coach, The Times reported.

He told The Times his daughter Nicki, 18, hugged him and said, "I get my daddy back."

"I saw it as a sign from God that this was the right thing to do," Meyer told The Times of his daughter's reaction. "I was worried about letting people down. I was feeling so awful and concerned about my health. That was among several other signs that said it's time to back away."

Meyer's health problems are not life threatening, a Florida source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN's Chris Mortensen. The same source said Meyer will remain in Gainesville in a non-coaching role to be defined later.

A Florida spokesman said reports of Meyer being diagnosed with muscle-heart-valve defect and having a heart attack during the season are inaccurate. The team does not have an official medical diagnosis for Meyer.

Meyer will hold a news conference in New Orleans on Sunday afternoon and will coach his final game in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati on New Year's Day.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family."

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Schlabach: Meyer era ends too early

Urban Meyer's drive and determination helped him direct Florida to two BCS titles, but his work ethic took its toll. His resignation brings one of the sport's great coaching careers to an early end. Story

Last month, Sports Illustrated chronicled Meyer's coaching career and reported that he suffered from persistent headaches caused by an arachnoid cyst that becomes inflamed by stress, rage and excitement.

Meyer told the magazine that since the diagnosis in the early 2000s he has tried to stay composed during games.

News of Meyer's retirement stunned his peers.

"He is a first-class coach, and the success he's had is unmatched in our profession, especially over the last five years at Florida," Alabama's Nick Saban said. "We hope he is able to regain his health and have the opportunity to coach again in the future. Urban Meyer is a great person as well as a great coach, and the game of college football is better with him as a part of it."

"It's a surprise to everybody," said Florida State's Bobby Bowden, who retired Dec. 1 after 34 years. "I hope he's OK physically because he's done as great a job at the University of Florida as has been done there, or anywhere else. I admire the way he handles himself and I really like his family. The college coaching profession will really miss him."

A tireless recruiter and creative motivator, Meyer came to Florida from Utah in fall 2004 amid speculation he would end up at Notre Dame.

Meyer brought most of his staff with him -- some of whom worked with him at Bowling Green (2001-02) and Utah (2003-04). Together, they restored the program to national prominence two years later with the school's second national championship.

Low: Who's Next?

It's one of the plum jobs in all of college football. And after the Allstate Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, it's going to be open. Who will replace Urban Meyer? Blog

The Gators upset Ohio State 41-14 in Glendale, Ariz.; they won another one in January by beating Oklahoma 24-14 in Miami.

With just about his entire team returning this fall, Meyer spent all season coaching under intense pressure and sky-high expectations. He said he welcomed it all as the defending national champions tried to become just the second team in the last 14 years to repeat.

But the season was far from smooth. Florida dealt with distraction after distraction, prompting Meyer to call it "the year of stuff."

It included preseason talk about perfection; flulike symptoms that ravaged the team; Tim Tebow's concussion; linebacker Brandon Spikes' eye-gouging incident; Meyer's hefty fine for criticizing officials; defensive end Carlos Dunlap's drunken driving arrest; a few controversial calls; some close games; and what seemed to be a season-long offensive slump.

Indeed, the Gators went through just about everything in 2009. Still, the loss to Alabama was the most crushing blow -- until this.

The Crimson Tide derailed Florida's perfect season and left Meyer in a Gainesville hospital. Team officials initially said he was treated and released for dehydration. But players and coaches later said Meyer had chest pains. Meyer refused to talk about his hospital stay, but acknowledged that he needed to take better care of himself.

"He puts a lot on himself and he cares a lot and he takes a lot of the burden on himself," Tebow said last week. "That's something we talk about a lot. You've got to take care of yourself. Although we're both very passionate, you can't always let it all feel like everything is on your chest.

"And I think he's doing a better job of doing that. But when you have guys kind of not doing the right thing and you get beat in a game like that, it can weigh on you a little bit. I think he felt a little bit of that. But I think he's doing a little bit better now, though."

Meyer told The Times he has not considered returning to coaching anytime in the near future. He said his main concern was winning the Sugar Bowl.

"I just want to win this game for these players and make sure that the University of Florida is in good shape," Meyer told The Times. "I haven't even thought about anything after that, other than I'm a Gator and I'll always be a Gator."

Potential successors to Meyer could include Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Boise State's Chris Petersen, Arkansas' Bobby Petrino, who was the other top candidate in 2004 when Meyer got the job, former Florida Gator and Super Bowl-winning NFL coach Mike Shanahan and former Meyer assistants Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong. Former Florida offensive coordinator Mullen just finished his first season as head coach at Mississippi State. Defensive coordinator Strong was named the head coach at Louisville earlier this month.

Louisville media relations director Rocco Gasparro said Saturday night that Strong had signed a term sheet with the school, but not a formal contract. It is unclear whether the term sheet would be a sticking point should the Gators turn to Strong to replace Meyer.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 94

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    What a dumbass comment... Notre Dame sucks, you ****ing homer... Get a grip.

... And moreso... You don't have a ****ing clue as to what is going on with him... The man took UF to 2 championships and is quite young... He apparently had health issues on-going from what I've read or heard in the last few hours...

You talk a decent game for about 70% of the time, and the rest of it is no different than the *******s that post useless ****... You're an ND Golden Domer homer, and since you can't separate **** such as this, are relegated to dog **** in my opinion...

.... Actually, I feel sorry for dumbasses such as yourself that don't have any perspective towards reality....

You are definitely not even worth bantering with...

I guess next time I post a joke it will also have to be accompanied with explanation to make it unmistakably obvious.

WTF?!.... Meyer now changes his mind and just takes an "indefinite leave of absense"?...

... That is just screwing with the team... As Lou Holtz said (and yea, I hate him too), "you don't make a decision when the pressure is on. Give it some time for the stress to subside, then make your decision."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information