Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonchar on the market

Threads : 210

Default Gonchar on the market

Gonchar on the market?
    Sunday, December 27, 2009
    By HOCKEY30.com

According to several media Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Sergei Gonchar, could be traded before the trade deadline.

Negotiations between the Russian's agent, JP Barry, and general manager Ray Shero, would not go very well. Both parties are far from an agreement now.

Unrestricted free agent next summer, Gonchar pocketed $ 5.5 million this season. It boasts a record of 5 goals and 22 assists in 26 games.

Gonchar and Barry are supposed to meet again this week Shero.

"I want to finish my career with the Penguins, but not at any price. We are far from an agreement" said Gonchar to relatives who wanted to stay under cover of anonymity.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Gonchar on the market

He doesn't want to lower his salary. We are going to have to try to get a rental for him. That sux.

Threads : 210

if Shero dont sing him

i wont be surprise to see him returning in washington

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pens will need him for the playoffs so I doubt they trade him. They won't get much for him anyway. What did they get for Malone? Were better off keeping him and trying to win the cup. We'll get $5.5 Million in cap space in exchange for him.

My guess is that Dupuis and Adams will be gone at the trade deadline...waived to make cap space for a scoring forward or a defensive defenseman! I was actually thinking the other day that they should wave them now and call up a couple of WBS Pens to see what they can do. They can send the baby Pens back to WBS at the trade deadline if need be.

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pens will need him for the playoffs so I doubt they trade him. They won't get much for him anyway. What did they get for Malone? Were better off keeping him and trying to win the cup. We'll get $5.5 Million in cap space in exchange for him.

[HIGH-LIGHT]My guess is that Dupuis and Adams will be gone at the trade deadline...waived [/HIGH-LIGHT]to make cap space for a scoring forward or a defensive defenseman! I was actually thinking the other day that they should wave them now and call up a couple of WBS Pens to see what they can do. They can send the baby Pens back to WBS at the trade deadline if need be.

??? what makes you say that? I find it very hard to believe that they would waive Adams

I agree that it would be better to keep Gonch for the Playoffs and then let him walk...the cap space would probably be better than anything we would get in return for a rental.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    ??? what makes you say that? I find it very hard to believe that they would waive Adams

I agree that it would be better to keep Gonch for the Playoffs and then let him walk...the cap space would probably be better than anything we would get in return for a rental.
    Yeah Adam's serves a purpose while not making a lot of money. I wouldn't let him go. Dupuis has actually been productive lately. I like the team the way it is really but you never know when someone could take a really bad injury and then maybe we could use someone. I really wouldn't want to take Gonch out of the lineup this year or even for the next couple but if the price isn't right then at least keep him around for the rest of the year. Not really sure they are even looking to add anyone next year, at least not a high profile guy. Feds will be gone next year but they have a couple guys in line for his job already.

Threads : 206

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post

I'd say Dupuis before Adams... and our PK would definately take a hit. I'm just thinking how can the Pens create cap space to bring in a rental player for the playoffs. Similar to waiving Satan last season to bring in Guerin. Who else can they move that's contract is ending?

Threads : 6

It's always hard to tell what's going on behind closed doors. However, if this is true Gonchar is a goner. I just don't see where they can afford the same type of contract he is under if the organization wants to keep some other players. As it stands right now, no one is available in the organization to replace him. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    It's always hard to tell what's going on behind closed doors. However, if this is true Gonchar is a goner. I just don't see where they can afford the same type of contract he is under if the organization wants to keep some other players. As it stands right now, no one is available in the organization to replace him. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.
    Gogo excelled when Gonch was out. I wouldn't be too worried if they parted ways with Gonch after the season.

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I'd say Dupuis before Adams... and our PK would definately take a hit. I'm just thinking how can the Pens create cap space to bring in a rental player for the playoffs. Similar to waiving Satan last season to bring in Guerin. Who else can they move that's contract is ending?
    Fedetenko will be gone next year anyway but he seems to have an extra gear in the playoffs, would want to keep him till the end too.

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Gogo excelled when Gonch was out. I wouldn't be too worried if they parted ways with Gonch after the season.
    While Goligoski has flashes of offensive brilliance, he is nowhere near the defensive presence Gonchar is. Gonchar's defense is his least appreciated attribute.

Threads : 135

The Pens would lose a LOT if they got rid of Gonchar...I think he wants to say...I think we want him to stay, and I hope we can work out a deal. If not, though, we obviously have to do what is best for the club. I still think we can get a deal done...we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    While Goligoski has flashes of offensive brilliance, he is nowhere near the defensive presence Gonchar is. Gonchar's defense is his least appreciated attribute.
    That doesn't mean we can't win without him. We have options at defense now. They are not going to give Gonch a cent more than they want to. It is what it is.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe we could obtain a pretty decent productive forward + for Gonchar via a trade at the deadline. Good offensive defensemen that aren't a liability in their own end are hard to find, regardless of Gonchar's age, so I believe we could get a good return for Gonchar at the trade deadline. If they aren't going to be able to resign him I'd prefer they get something for him. Doesn't make me feel much better about the playoffs without him and when dealing with a trade you have to make sure it all works under the cap for the following season as well. I'd be completely against a rental

Threads : 34

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I believe we could obtain a pretty decent productive forward + for Gonchar via a trade at the deadline. Good offensive defensemen that aren't a liability in their own end are hard to find, regardless of Gonchar's age, so I believe we could get a good return for Gonchar at the trade deadline. If they aren't going to be able to resign him I'd prefer they get something for him. Doesn't make me feel much better about the playoffs without him and when dealing with a trade you have to make sure it all works under the cap for the following season as well. I'd be completely against a rental
    I gotta disagree on that one...I would much rather have gonch for the playoffs, and then go shopping in the offseason...if we don't get anything for him, so what, these aren't the Pirates, a lot of FA's would love to come here. We could probably do better with the cap room in FA than what we would get in return for a rental.

Having Gonch for the playoffs, IMO, is much better than getting a "productive" forward. That, to me, just sounds like Pascal Dupuis version 2.0...a guy who isn't in the long term plans, and who isn't a game changer, but takes up valuable cap space. Gonch is a game changer.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information