Thread: Craps trade Clark, Jurcina to Blue Jackets for Chimera

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Craps trade Clark, Jurcina to Blue Jackets for Chimera

Caps trade Clark, Jurcina to Blue Jackets for Chimera

Monday, 12.28.2009 / 6:25 PM / News By Rocky Bonanno - NHL.com Staff Writer

The free-falling Columbus Blue Jackets, winless in their last nine and 10 points out of a playoff spot, acquired an injection of grit and leadership Monday afternoon by trading for hard-nosed right wing Chris Clark and mammoth defenseman Milan Jurcina from the Washington Capitals in exchange for veteran left wing Jason Chimera.

The deal is contingent on all players passing their physicals.

"It was actually discussed way back in September and these things have a way of resurrecting themselves," Washington GM George McPhee told reporters at the Verizon Center. "We talked a lot the last few days."

Clark was Washington's captain. There was no immediate word on when or if the vacancy will be filled.

"I'm shocked," he told the Washington Post. "But then you start looking to the team where you're going. So now I'm trying to put all my energy into who's on the team, how they're doing and where I'll be playing my next game."

"Trades are hard to make in this League, but I think this one helps both clubs," McPhee said. "You're nervous with every trade you make, for many different reasons. Clarkie was a great captain for us, great leadership and a quality guy. We think the move we made today makes us better, so we had to do it."

In Chimera, 30, the Capitals added a 6-foot-2, 216-pound left-handed shooter who has struggled thus far with 8 goals and 17 points in 39 games. He is a fast skater, which fits in with Washington's stable of young scorers and up-tempo game, but is also a solid forechecker and penalty killer.

Chimera entered the NHL with Edmonton in 2000-01 and has spent the last five seasons with Columbus. He has 81 goals and 172 points in 461 career regular-season games.

According to the Washington Post, Chimera is expected to join the Capitals in D.C. Monday evening, but will not play against Carolina at the Verizon Center. After the game, Chimera and the Capitals will head to San Jose for Wednesday's contest.

The deal reportedly saves Washington about $2 million (U.S.) in salary this season.

"This was not about cap space, because we have space," McPhee said. "This was about making the right move for the team and players."

Chimera has one infamous connection to the Capitals this season. On Nov. 1, when the Blue Jackets visited Washington, it was a mix-up with Chimera and Jared Boll that left Washington's Alex Ovechkin with an upper-body injury that forced him to miss the next six games.

Chimera has two more seasons on his current contract before he is granted unrestricted free agency following the 2011-12 season.

"We are pleased to add Chris Clark and Milan Jurcina to our hockey club. Both are veteran players who we believe will contribute significantly to our team," Columbus GM Scott Howson said in a statement. "We'd also like to thank Jason Chimera for his contributions to the Blue Jackets organization both on and off the ice over the past four-plus seasons."

Clark, 33, was in his fifth year with the Capitals and fourth as captain. Following a career-high 30 goals in 74 games in 2006-07, he has been beset with numerous injuries (facial, groin, forearm, wrist) but had appeared in each of Washington's 38 games heading into Monday's action, totaling 4 goals and 15 points.

Clark (6-1, 196), who broke into the League with Calgary in 1999-2000, has 95 goals and 194 points in 518 career regular-season games. The right-handed shot had 60 goals and 123 points in 240 games with Washington.

"I didn't mind a diminished role [in Washington] because we were winning so much and we're such a great team and had a chance to do something in the playoffs," Clark told the Post. "I would have taken any role on this team to do that. But now I'm going to start all over again. Hopefully, Columbus will be in that position in a few years."

"It's going to be tough, but I've been in this situation before," Clark added. "Hopefully I can help out in any way I can."

"Trades are hard to make in this League, but I think this one helps both clubs. You're nervous with every trade you make, for many different reasons. Clarkie was a great captain for us, great leadership and a quality guy. We think the move we made today makes us better, so we had to do it." -- George McPhee Clark has one more season on his contract before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Jurcina, 26, is going to his third organization. The 6-4, 236-pound native of Slovakia was drafted by Boston in the eighth round in 2001 and dealt to Washington mid-way through 2006-07. He has registered 14 goals and 50 points with 210 penalty minutes in 302 career regular season games. In 2009-10, Jurcina has 4 assists and 14 penalty minutes in 27 games.

Jurcina can become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The Columbus Dispatch reported that neither Jurcina nor Clark will play Monday night when the Blue Jackets host division rival Detroit at Nationwide Arena. They'll likely make their Blue Jackets debut on Tuesday against the Islanders in New York.

According to the Capitals' Web site, Jurcina became available because defenseman Karl Alzner is clearly ready for NHL duty. Plus, the Caps have a surplus of defensemen, with both Brian Pothier and Tom Poti currently day-to-day with injuries.

With Alexander Semin, Mike Knuble, Eric Fehr and Matt Bradley all performing well on the right side, Clark had been skating on the left wing of late. Coming into this season there was doubt among some as to whether or not Fehr could handle regular NHL duty, but he has posted 8 goals and 18 points and is plus-10 in 28 games this season.

Contact Rocky Bonanno at: rbonanno@nhl.com.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Craps trade Clark, Jurcina to Blue Jackets for Chimera

Love it!

Following a career-high 30 goals in 74 games in 2006-07
    Yeah, 3 years ago!! Clark got lucky, he's a ****in bum and he'll always be a ****in' bum..

Who'll get the Craps "C"? Surely Ovechkins "passion" will earn him that big ol' "C" now that Clark has been traded

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information