Thread: Have Brian Kelly And Urban Meyer Stolen The Sugar Bowl?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Have Brian Kelly And Urban Meyer Stolen The Sugar Bowl?

HAVE BRIAN KELLY AND URBAN MEYER STOLEN THE SUGAR BOWL?
    From Peter Schrager of Fox Sports...

Once upon a time, the 2010 Sugar Bowl was about an undefeated Big East champion Cincinnati squad going up against college football's most successful program of the past five years. This was about a "microwave dynasty" from the Midwest going up against one of college football's most impressive senior classes to ever step on a field.

Now? It's all about Meyer. The selfless coach who is being praised far and wide this week for choosing others over himself, is now the man solely in the spotlight this week.

Somewhere in the background are Tim Tebow, Ryan Stamper, Riley Cooper, Brandon Spikes, and the 15 other Florida seniors playing the last game of their wonderful college careers. This is a senior class that has won two BCS Championships, played in three SEC championship games, and four January bowl games. This week should have been their coronation; a celebration of their athletic and academic achievements as student athletes. Four years ? a rare feat these days ? spent excelling in the classroom and on the field.

Could Meyer have not waited until a day or two after the Sugar Bowl for all of this? Again, I don't know all the particulars or the details of that Christmas Day scene in the Meyer household or the severity of the coach's health issues. But the timing of the coach's "I'm out ? OK, I'm only kinda out!" waffling over the weekend seems to have taken a bit of the spotlight from a week that should have been about his players and their fine careers.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the field is a Cincinnati team whose coach left them for greener pastures just a few days after their regular season ended. Brian Kelly abandoned his team and is already on the recruiting trail for Notre Dame. Interim coach Jeff Quinn is headed to Western New York to coach Buffalo immediately after Friday night's game. Coach-in-waiting Butch Jones is hovering somewhere on the perimeter, as well. He'll probably be coaching somewhere else in a few years, too.

Coaches, coaches, and more coaches.

Again, somewhere, some place, are the Cincinnati players. Remember them? The kids? The ones who found the will and the gumption to come back from 21 points down on the road in Pittsburgh to win their second straight conference title and complete an undefeated season? Those guys?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

sjdrewk

Default Re: Have Brian Kelly And Urban Meyer Stolen The Sugar Bowl?

I think the Hc's really soured the game for the kids because the focus isn't on the game and the kids anymore- all the focus is on the coaches and it should never be about the coaches in college.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am so ****ing sick of the whole Meyer thing. Sick of hearing about it.

I blame it on media whores. Give it a ****ing rest already.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but the media (over)covers **** like this for a reason - supposedly there's a market for it, but tell me - who enjoys the over covering of issues like these?

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Someone tell me if I'm wrong[/HIGH-LIGHT], but the media (over)covers **** like this for a reason - supposedly there's a market for it, but tell me - who enjoys the over covering of issues like these?
    No, you're not wrong... I don't think anyone enjoys it... I've been looking forward to that game because I like both teams, but am dreadding the incessant talk that will obviously be done.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I might just be being a ***** but I think Meyer knew what he was doing when he announced this. Now the Florida players have a lot more to play for. Tebow's leaving, Meyer taking time off. How bad would it look for Florida to lose to Cincy? Even before this nobody gave Cincy a chance to win this game. Now they really have no hope of getting anyone to believe in them, except me of course.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information