Thread: Source: Bay agrees with Mets

Threads : 691

Default Source: Bay agrees with Mets

Source: Bay agrees with MetsComment Email Print Share By Jerry Crasnick
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    Free-agent outfielder Jason Bay has reached agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $66 million contract with the New York Mets, a baseball source confirmed to ESPN.com Tuesday.

Bay

The agreement will become official once Bay passes a physical exam sometime next week, the source said. The deal includes a vesting option year that could increase Bay's overall payout to slightly more than $80 million over five years.

WFAN was the first to report the agreement had been reached.

Bay, a three-time All-Star, hit .267 with 36 home runs and 119 RBIs for the Boston Red Sox in 2009.

Bay and outfielder Matt Holliday were the most hotly pursued position players on the free-agent market this winter.

It's believed that Bay's vesting option provision includes readily attainable targets based on plate appearances. Bay has averaged 154 games a season since 2005 with Pittsburgh and the Red Sox, so he should have a good chance of making the option vest if he stays healthy.

Mets general manager Omar Minaya, chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon and several other principals in the deal are traveling or in the middle of holiday plans, so Bay's physical exam isn't expected to take place until early next week.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Default Re: Source: Bay agrees with Mets

Wow, he got 4 for 66mil? Good deal for him....not sure how this works out for the Ny Mets.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, he got 4 for 66mil? Good deal for him....not sure how this works out for the Ny Mets.

Not only did he get 66 million,he got 66 million guaranteed!! When large market teams can throw that kind of money around,no wonder teams like the Pirates have a hard time competing.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LF at Citi field is going to swallow Bay whole. Citi Field and PNC Park have very similar LF gaps and Bay was a complete liability defensively at PNC towards the end of his tenure as his knees worsened.

One hell of a deal for Bay however

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Not only did he get 66 million,he got 66 million guaranteed!! When large market teams can throw that kind of money around,no wonder teams like the Pirates have a hard time competing.
    Yup... You look at what Bay got (and his age), look at what a #3 pitcher like Lackey got.... and there's people out there who still believe that Free Agency is some sort of savior. If you look at what those guys made, that tells you about what the Pirates would get in their price range or a small market price range so I don't have to see PFIV say (the pirates price range is a couple sticks and a pebble) Basically it means what is in our price range would be very little help at all

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    LF at Citi field is going to swallow Bay whole. Citi Field and PNC Park have very similar LF gaps and Bay was a complete liability defensively at PNC towards the end of his tenure as his knees worsened.

One hell of a deal for Bay however
    I sometimes wonder if teams take into account ball park effects or the effect that the ball park may have on a player as it were, when they go after certain players......I'm sure they do but I guess certain teams get so desperate to sign a name player that they just don't care.

sjdrewk

And how....but hey, good for him. I like the guy so if the Mets want to throw guaranteed money at him then so be it. Their decision.

And how....but hey, good for him. I like the guy so if the Mets want to throw guaranteed money at him then so be it. Their decision.
    The point is that it does little good for teams like the Pirates and even to an extent the giants when your large market teams set the market value like this. It drives up the prices of everyone and as a small/middle market team you get stuck having to pay ridiculous prices for even garbage type players. Does no good IMO.... but tis will go unchanged until MLB gets the balls to fix the mess they've been scared ****less to battle for years

I sometimes wonder if teams take into account ball park effects or the effect that the ball park may have on a player as it were, when they go after certain players......I'm sure they do but I guess certain teams get so desperate to sign a name player that they just don't care.
    to an extent I think they do. Depends on the team and what not.

Take a team like the Pirates. they most definitely have to consider defense. LF-CF at PNc Park is spacious so you need guys with wheels and range to cover it, not to mention decent enough arms... combine that with a pitching staff that is more contact pitching than guys with even average K rates and defense becomes even more important... This was something that was grossly overlooked in 2008. The Pirates had an OF of Bay, mcLouth and Nady that was ranked offensively as one of the leagues best. Minus Nady, McLouth and Bay were liabilities defensively with their range and that killed the pitching staff. That team kept losing high scoring shoot outs because of that...

If you have the correct balance I don't think it'll be much of a problem. the Mets have a better collection of non-contact pitchers and other offense that's not a defensive liability, so they can get away with a guy like Bay looking like LF at citi field is a quicksand pasture.... other teams (and the Pirates were one of them) couldn't make up for it, especially in 2008 when the best offensive guys we had were mud defensively except Nady

but tis will go unchanged until MLB gets the balls to fix the mess they've been scared ****less to battle for years
    Yeah,and I.M.O. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Yeah,and I.M.O. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    Nope because they don't have the balls. To fix their problems they're going to have to likely deal with a strike that could possibly wipe out an entire season and they don't want to do that especially since they had a hard time coming back from the last (and useless) strike. they needed to rely on juiced players to dig them out of that hole... mainly because IMO MLB got tremendously worse in just about every aspect after that strike.

Threads : 158

MLB Network made a good point about Bay in that Fenway actually cost Bay more homers than it gave him. They showed a number of doubles Bay hit at Fenway that would been Homers anywhere else because Bay is a line drive HR kind of guy.

Threads : 23

Nope because they don't have the balls. To fix their problems they're going to have to likely deal with a strike that could possibly wipe out an entire season and they don't want to do that especially since they had a hard time coming back from the last (and useless) strike. they needed to rely on juiced players to dig them out of that hole... mainly because IMO MLB got tremendously worse in just about every aspect after that strike.
    Excellent post all the way around Kipper! They did rely on the juice to bounce back after that strike. That's a prime reason for them not enforcing steriod rules to begin with.

To add to that, if they did cough up the balls to fix the ****, it would start in Yankee Land and God knows they're not gonna do that!
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    Excellent post all the way around Kipper! They did rely on the juice to bounce back after that strike. That's a prime reason for them not enforcing steriod rules to begin with.

[HIGH-LIGHT]To add to that, if they did cough up the balls to fix the ****, it would start in Yankee Land and God knows they're not gonna do that[/HIGH-LIGHT]!
    and television. Those TV contracts that MLB has with the networks if you ever notice are beefed up Yankees and Red Sox personal broadcasts. From FOX to what? ESPN. You level the playing field and those TV execs are gonna start ****ting themselves because of the chance of the Red sox and Yankees becoming mediocre bites into thhose larger markets interest and ratings for them.

To be it's bull****. Parity works fine with the NFL, with the NHL, 2 of the best/better tv markets in the league are Pittsburgh and Buffalo.

Bottom line is that they are scared crapless to deal with a strike. Me personally... I'd gladly miss a season of major league baseball if it meant fixing the league. I'd rather see a long term even playing field

Threads : 23

I'd gladly miss a season of major league baseball if it meant fixing the league. I'd rather see a long term even playing field
    I would have to agree with that. if my giving up a season meant that Baseball would get fixed, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Great point.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information