Thread: Penguins roll up their sleeves when bus gets stuck

Threads : 210

Default Penguins roll up their sleeves when bus gets stuck

BUFFALO Penguins are generally comfortable in frigid conditions, but what took place Monday night in Buffalo crossed the line.

The defending Stanley Cup champions encountered a blizzard in Buffalo that buried the team's bus in snow three blocks from the Penguins' hotel.

Dan Bylsma and his staff, the Penguins PR department, the training staff and three players goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, left wing Matt Cooke and defenseman Sergei Gonchar managed to push the bus out of the deep snow and back onto the road.

"There were coaches, PR guys, website guys all out there," Penguins right wing Bill Guerin said. "They're the real strength of the team."

In all of Guerin's years, he has never seen anything like what happened to the Penguins.

"I've been stuck on buses before," he said. "But never like that."

Just getting to Buffalo was quite an adventure for the Penguins. The team's plane left Pittsburgh Monday afternoon and, after circling the Buffalo airport for an hour, was forced to land at the Niagra Falls airport. Buses waiting for the team in Buffalo then had to make the trek to Niagra, which left the Penguins waiting on the runway for close to another hour.

By then, the lake effect storm that hit northwestern Pennsylvania and western New York had time to unleash around 6 inches of snow in Buffalo. The downtown streets hadn't been plowed or salted, making for a slick ride that eventually saw the bus wedged in snow.

"It was crazy seeing people outside in suits and ties trying to push a bus," Fleury said. "I just put my big biceps on the bus, and it didn't take long after that."

Cooke interpreted the situation differently.

"I'm sure his intentions were good," Cooke said. "But I'm not sure he even touched the bus."

Fleury, incidentally, is expected to start in goal tonight only 24 hours after pushing the bus. It appears goalie Brent Johnson will play Wednesday in New Jersey.

Bylsma didn't mind braving the conditions to push the bus onto the road.

"We needed to get out of there," he said. "It was old school time. It was actually kind of fun."

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penguins roll up their sleeves when bus gets stuck

Pretty funny really. Thanks for posting. How about Fleury? That cracks me up.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Penguins roll up their sleeves when bus gets stuck

I can vouch for the ****ty weather in Buffalo...when a storm hits there, it is worse than most places you have ever encountered...it is a different kind of storm.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information