Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Tomlin not lobbying for help

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers' Tomlin not lobbying for help

Posted about 2 hours ago
    Steelers' Tomlin not lobbying Bengals, Patriots for help
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Sit Cedric Benson. Play Cedric Benson. Sit Tom Brady. Play Tom Brady.

How much the Bengals' Benson plays against the Jets and the Patriots' Brady plays against the Texans on Sunday might determine not only the winners of those games, but whether the Pittsburgh Steelers make the playoffs.

Regardless, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't about to lobby another coach to play his best players, even if Pittsburgh's season may be riding on any such decision.

To Tomlin, the Steelers (8-7) put themselves in a position where they need a lot of assistance to make the AFC playoffs, so they shouldn't go begging for help.

"I could care less how the Bengals approach what it is they do," Tomlin said Tuesday.

To make the playoffs, the Steelers must defeat the Dolphins (7-8) in Miami on Sunday and hope multiple games fall in their favor. Among the scenarios are the AFC East champion Patriots (10-5) beating Houston (8-7) and the AFC North champion Bengals (10-5) beating the Jets (8-7).

However, the Patriots and Bengals may not play their regulars very long, if at all, because they are in the playoffs regardless of the outcome. Also, both teams will play the following weekend, one of them only six days after Sunday's regular season-ending game.

Despite the Colts' much-debated decision that not risking injury to a key player was more important than going for a 16-0 season, Tomlin doesn't believe in telling another team what to do with its personnel.

"I really have no opinion," Tomlin said. "I trust that those coaches are going to do what they feel is best for their football teams. I'm going to do what's best for mine. Very rarely do I pass judgment on the decision-making of other coaches in regard to other teams, because I don't have a pulse on their group."

Tomlin understands the delicate balance between playing regulars enough to keep them sharp but not enough to get hurt. Last season, Ben Roethlisberger sustained a concussion after Tomlin chose to play him in a meaningless season-ending game against Cleveland.

Luckily for the Steelers, they didn't play their first playoff game until two weeks later. That gave the quarterback time to heal, and he went on to lead them to a Super Bowl title. But if the Steelers had played as soon as six days after Roethlisberger was hurt, he might not have been ready.

Tomlin also doesn't believe it's necessary to argue for maintaining the integrity of the game. He feels any competitive team wants to win no matter who is playing.

Week 17 clinching scenarios In 2004, the Steelers rested most of their regulars in a game the Bills needed to win to make the playoffs, yet Pittsburgh won 29-24 at Buffalo despite playing mostly backups. Not only did the Steelers keep their starters healthy, they found a future 1,000-yard rusher on their bench in Willie Parker, who had his first 100-yard game that day.

"I think we're all competitors and we play to win," Tomlin said. "Every time we come out of that tunnel, that's the intent. The ramifications, in regard to other teams, is irrelevant to me. It's more about the people that I come out of the tunnel with and our commitment to this organization, our fans, our community. So we come out to win."

If the Steelers wanted to avoid relying on outside teams for help -- teams that might not feel the same urgency to win this weekend as they do -- they could have prevented it by winning more games earlier in the season.

The Steelers defeated the Chargers (12-3), Vikings (11-4), Broncos (8-7) and Ravens (8-7) but lost to the Chiefs (3-12), Browns (4-11), Raiders (5-10) and Bears (6-9).

"This our bed. We're going to lay in it," Tomlin said. "We created this situation. What we are going to do is control what we can control, and that's our preparation of play for the game. We're not going to cry over spilled milk. If there's any level of disappointment in terms of how this thing unfolds, it's going to be on us."

In a player move, the Steelers signed first-year defensive back Trae Williams and put rookie defensive back Keenan Lewis (back) on the injured reserve list. Williams had been on the Seahawks' practice squad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin not lobbying for help

think we're all competitors and we play to win," Tomlin said. "Every time we come out of that tunnel, that's the intent. The ramifications, in regard to other teams, is irrelevant to me. It's more about the people that I come out of the tunnel with and our commitment to this organization, our fans, our community. So we come out to win."

I'm hopin thats what the hell the other teams are thinking too!
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why would other coaches listen to Tomlin anyhow, when it seems half the Steelers players don't listen to him?

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why would other coaches listen to Tomlin anyhow, when [HIGH-LIGHT]it seems half the Steelers players don't listen to him[/HIGH-LIGHT]?
    .... So very true...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    .... So very true...

Threads : 10

Any coach that *****ed about another team resting their starters because it hurt his own chances at the playoffs would be the laughing stock of the NFL.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Why would other coaches listen to Tomlin anyhow, when it seems half the Steelers players don't listen to him?
    It appears some of the coaching staff doesn't either.

Threads : 82

"I could care less how the Bengals approach what it is they do," Tomlin said Tuesday.
    The phrase is supposed to be "I couldn't care less" it has been killing me lately.

This article is pointless. I guess they need something to write about tho.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    The phrase is supposed to be "I couldn't care less" it has been killing me lately.

This article is pointless. I guess they need something to write about tho.

Basically, the way he approached the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns games this year "he couldn't care less" and it showed. If we could have one of those cellar dwellar rematches back we wouldn't have to root for the Patriots or Bengals

I like to see us make it but in reality we won't. The only consolation prize we can take from this season is change. It better start with sitting Tomlin down and seeing what his game plan is for the future. If he mentions one word about keeping Arians the both of them should be fired on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Basically, the way he approached the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns games this year "he couldn't care less" and it showed. If we could have one of those cellar dwellar rematches back we wouldn't have to root for the Patriots or Bengals

I like to see us make it but in reality we won't. The only consolation prize we can take from this season is change. It better start with sitting Tomlin down and seeing what his game plan is for the future. If he mentions one word about keeping Arians the both of them should be fired on the spot.
    I think everyone will be back minus a few minor coaches, you are wasting bandwidth.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think everyone will be back minus a few minor coaches, you are wasting bandwidth.
    Not really. I agree completely with him. Arians needs shipped out ASAP, Horton and Ligashesky... ****ing gone. If tomlin doesn't have the balls to make neccessary moves that are holding this team back, he needs pushed out the door too. I don't want a coach that's afraid to make much needed personnel moves

sjdrewk

Tomlin isn't lobbying for help because those are the last team in the NFL that would give us any. ...****-suhnatuh and the ***riots would love nothing better than to see us fail to reach the playoffs.

Threads : 87
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Not really. I agree completely with him. Arians needs shipped out ASAP, Horton and Ligashesky... ****ing gone. If tomlin doesn't have the balls to make neccessary moves that are holding this team back, he needs pushed out the door too. I don't want a coach that's afraid to make much needed personnel moves
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I am not saying I disagree with the sentiment I am saying I fully expect Arains and Tomlin to be back. I think they will clear out Horton and Ligashesky to make it look like they are being pro-active.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I absolutely hate when people do that.

I'd love to see Arians, Horton, and Ligashesky go, but I don't believe that they will. Tomlin is too ignorant to see just how much of a failure those guys are.
    Hidden Content

William Gay couldn't cover his grill.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information