Thread: Troy now unlikely for Sunday...

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Troy now unlikely for Sunday...

Polamalu unlikely to play for Steelers Sunday
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu went through a limited practice today but acknowledged that it would be unreasonable for him to play Sunday in Miami after a six-game layoff with a knee injury.

"For me, no, but I haven't done it before,'' Polamalu said.

With a brace on the left knee that was injured Nov. 22 in Kansas City, Polamalu pulled on his No. 43 jersey and helmet and practiced with his teammates for the first time today. He has missed 10 full games and most of two others with two separate injuries to his left knee. His MCL was sprained in the first quarter of the opener and his PCL was sprained early in his fourth game back.

Coach Mike Tomlin reported that the PCL injury was not as serious as first thought and listed Polamalu as "questionable" for several weeks on the injury report. Tomlin later acknowledged that the first prognosis was overly optimistic.

Polamalu, though, said his absence since the injury is about how long he was told to expect.

"I think this is honestly what they expected with the original diagnosis of the second injury,'' Polamalu said. "But it is frustrating."

Polamalu said there is more to it than the injured PCL healing.

"Whenever you take this much time off it's kind of a mix of everything. It's trying to get your nervous system right, trying to get muscle bulk from the atrophy, trying to get some strength back . . .

"It's a process of even seeing looks at this point in the season. Had I been 100 percent healthy I probably wouldn't be practicing any faster than I am now. We'll see when the time comes."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09364...#ixzz0bDfKhAHn

Threads : 3263

Default Re: Troy now unlikely for Sunday...

... I really gotta say that this doesn't bother me too much... I am fine with him not playing the final game.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 122

Not so much worried about Sunday. Definately worried about his future though.

Threads : 691

I jusst as soon he'd shut it down for the season,playoffs or not.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's caught up with Troy, the wild reckless full bore play. The Troy we knew is gone, worn out. He will be an oft injured part timer from here on until he retires. Very sad.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's caught up with Troy, the wild reckless full bore play. The Troy we knew is gone, worn out. He will be an oft injured part timer from here on until he retires. Very sad.
    That may be a bit extreme, but I do understand what you are saying... His "reckless abandon" does possibly lead to his injuries, but I think he's got a fair amount of "gas left in the tank"... Who knows...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    That may be a bit extreme, but I do understand what you are saying... His "reckless abandon" does possibly lead to his injuries, but I think he's got a fair amount of "gas left in the tank"... Who knows...
    It's tough to say if that's true. his first injury was nothing more than a freak injury of someone landing on his leg wrong. I'm not sure if we ever saw what lead to the PCL injury but I'd likely say it was a freak injury as well.

but.... the truth is, Troy is a serious injury liability out there. He's always good to miss time in a season with injuries. It might be me and my lack of this but I seriously question is "type" of strength and conditioning at times. then again, to me that yoga'ish stuff is for sissies like Sting It's nice for stretching of muscles but the muscle mass to absorb stuff is lacking from Troy and to me that can be a cause for more injuries especially when you're banging with guys that had a lot of solid muscle mass on them (Big Snack aside).

Threads : 29

Kipper is right. The first injury was just a fluke. Not much you can do when a 280 lb, pot bellied TE falls on your leg. Could have happened to anyone. I'd be more worried if it were the shoulder problems he had in 07.

The injury issues are why I would heavily consider moving him to free safety. I think this move could elongate his career. I think he would be one hell of a free safety too. Let him use his coverage skills to just sit back there, read the offense, and ball hawk instead of blitzing and worrying about run support so much at the line of scrimmage.

What Kipper touched upon, wasn't the second injury just him picking off a pass? I swear I remember him catching an interception and just taking a knee pretty much and that was it. Could be wrong.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The injury issues are why I would heavily consider moving him to free safety. I think this move could elongate his career. I think he would be one hell of a free safety too. Let him use his coverage skills to just sit back there, read the offense, and ball hawk instead of blitzing and worrying about run support so much at the line of scrimmage.
    Excellent idea.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

What Kipper touched upon, wasn't the second injury just him picking off a pass? I swear I remember him catching an interception and just taking a knee pretty much and that was it. Could be wrong.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 5

So do you draft Taylor Mays to fill his spot? Use someone already on the roster?

Moving Troy means retooling the whole defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    So do you draft Taylor Mays to fill his spot? Use someone already on the roster?

Moving Troy means retooling the whole defense.
    Steelers might be doing just that if Casey leaves. Not sure what in free agency, or the draft, would fit our system...but that might be a route we have to take. The draft for sure.

Mays was horrible in their bowl game. That is the only time I have seen him play, but if that game is any indication of what he will be, he looked like Anthony Smith out there.

Here is a list of free agent safeties. Not sure how up to date or accurate it is:

Top Safeties:

Nick Collins, Green Bay Packers (27)
    After seeing Collins blossom into one of best safeties last year, earning a Pro Bowl invite, the Packers wanted to see if he would perform at that high level once again. Almost through the regular season, Collins has done just that, playing at a level indicative of his talent and as one of the 5 best safeties in the league. The former second-round selection from Bethune-Cookman plays a very unique game. Collins isn’t always in the exact right position and plays aggressively in coverage, but has elite recovery speed to account for any error in his position. Collins has picked off 6 passes through 13 games and should be paid handsomely by Green Bay this offseason, or even before.

Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts (26)
    Antoine Bethea is every bit as talented and important to the Colts’ secondary as the renowned enforcer, Bob Sanders, who’s on the IR this season. Despite earning a Pro Bowl selection in 2007, Bethea is still highly unrecognized. He’s consistently one of the Colts’ leading tacklers as a result of his sound angles and quick closing speed around the line of scrimmage. He is a little susceptible in coverage, but has the ability to play both strong safety and free safety. The Colts will likely choose to re-sign Bethea, if it comes down to him and the injured Marlin Jackson.

Roman Harper, New Orleans Saints (27)
    Roman Harper can be compared to Bethea in a number of regards as one of the more underrated safeties in the league. His ability around the line of scrimmage in run support is among the best in the league. Harper leads the Saints in tackles for loss and is only 2 off Vilma’s pace for the league leader in tackles. Both of the Saints’ safeties are set to become free agents this year.

O.J. Atogwe, St. Louis Rams (29)
    Atogwe is a four-year starter for the Rams at the backend of their secondary, giving them consistent production. Though his impact plays were down this season, Atogwe was on pace to break his personal best for tackles this season prior to his shoulder injury, which forced him to the IR. After designating him their franchise player, last season, the Rams were unable to get a long-term extension done. Coming off injury, the Rams will be cautious, but also realize Atogwe is one of the better players on the team

Darren Sharper, New Orleans Saints (34)
    After a couple of inconsistent seasons in Minnesota, Darren Sharper has put himself back on the map while picking of 8 passes and remaining 4 interception yards away from breaking Ed Reed’s league record for most INT yards in a season. Sharper is your typical gambler in the secondary, risking big plays for aggressive coverage and the interception. Not to downplay Sharper’s success, but he’s only adequate in run support as well. The Saints would surely love to have him back on a defense that prides itself on forcing turnovers, but may not want to commit too much money considering he is also 34.

Other Notable Free Agents:

Will Allen, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (28)
    Atari Bigby, Green Bay Packers (28)
    Tyvon Branch, Oakland Raiders (23)
    C.C. Brown, New York Giants (27)
    Daniel Bullocks, Detroit Lions (27)
    Josh Bullocks, Chicago Bears (27)
    Tyrone Carter, Pittsburgh Steelers (34)
    Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh Steelers (30)
    Hiram Eugene, Oakland Raiders (29)
    Sean Jones, Philadelphia Eagles (28)
    Dawan Landry, Baltimore Ravens (27)
    Danieal Manning, Chicago Bears (28)
    Jarrad Page, Kansas City Chiefs (26)
    Brodney Pool, Cleveland Browns (26)
    Mark Roman, San Francisco 49ers (33)
    Gerald Sensabaugh, Dallas Cowboys (27)
    Roy Williams, Cincinnati Bengals (30)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2010/fa/db.html

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It's tough to say if that's true. his first injury was nothing more than a freak injury of someone landing on his leg wrong. I'm not sure if we ever saw what lead to the PCL injury but I'd likely say it was a freak injury as well.

but.... the truth is, Troy is a serious injury liability out there. He's always good to miss time in a season with injuries. It might be me and my lack of this but I seriously question is "type" of strength and conditioning at times. then again, to me that yoga'ish stuff is for sissies like Sting It's nice for stretching of muscles but the muscle mass to absorb stuff is lacking from Troy and to me that can be a cause for more injuries especially when you're banging with guys that had a lot of solid muscle mass on them (Big Snack aside).
    Troy's injuries to his knee have nothing to do with strength conditioning and everything to do with a big fat lard *** falling on his extended leg.

The conditioning he does do is very adept at rehabbing the knee faster than pushing weights.
    Last edited by BlackJackGold; Dec-31-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Threads : 5

I could see Pittsburgh moving towards more of a 4-3 look if Hampton leaves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information