Thursday, December 31, 2009
    Related Articles
    NFLPA players up for free agency in 2010

Ways to get us
    Be a Facebook fan
    Follow us on Twitter
    E-mail Newsletters
    On your mobile

Unless the NFL and its unionized players agree to a deal soon, 2010 will be the first season in a generation without the salary cap, the device both sides agree helped keep teams equally competitive.

Without a new collective bargaining agreement in place by March, 439 pros including 162 starters will hit the market as unrestricted or restricted free agents, according to a list of athletes provide by the NFL Players Association.

"The NFL is prepared for an uncapped year, (and) that should signal some concerns for all of us," said union assistant executive director George Atallah at the NFLPA's Washington headquarters.

The NFL's salary cap limits the amount teams can spend on signing players at $127 million this season. It also pegs a minimum payroll of $114 million, which forces potentially cheap owners to spend money.

In an uncapped year, it remains to be seen if big-market franchises such as the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins could "buy" a championship by plucking a handful of the best remaining talent from lower-revenue clubs.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello insists fans won't "see the uncapped year rules having any negative impact on competitive balance," in part, because it's the smallest crop of free agents ever.

The final eight playoff teams only will be able to sign a free agent for every one they lose, but all others have no such restrictions. And each club receives an extra "transition" tag to allow them to keep the rights of another valuable player.

Even so, sports experts worry about the future health of the NFL if no deal is reached and the cap goes the way of the dinosaurs.

"You do away with the concept of 'any given Sunday,'" said New York University sports economist Lee Igel. "It's the idea that a small-market team can compete with a big-market team."

The players say they want a deal to avoid being locked out, something owners have signalled they would do after the uncapped 2010 season.

"We've had serious negotiations with them, but so far we haven't had the progress we hoped," said the NFLPA's Atallah. " (NFLPA director) DeMaurice Smith has proposed to the NFL that by the Super Bowl we have a 'lock in' negotiation instead of a lockout. He and (Tennessee Titans center/union representative) Kevin Mawae have proposed the idea of guaranteeing the future of football by finding a neutral site and staying there until we have a deal."

The NFL's Aiello declined to say whether owners would agree to round-the-clock bargaining.

A possible sticking point is a lawsuit that's before the U.S. Supreme Court. On Jan. 13, the U.S. Supreme Court begins hearing arguments in a case pitting Illinois hat-maker American Needle against the NFL over the awarding of an apparel contract to Reebok in 2000. A decision might not come until May.

"The case is about the ability of a league to make routine business decisions without the threat of antitrust litigation," Aiello said.

The NFL and other sports leagues have lost similar cases over the decades. But recently, the NFL triumphed at the district and circuit levels by contending the league exists as a single corporate entity not 32 separate businesses when cutting merchandise deals. The NFL then appealed to the highest court for its blessing, arguing that even player contracts should be immune from federal antitrust legislation.

That would hurt NFL players and those in pro hockey, basketball and baseball their collective bargaining contracts end around 2011, too because owners could legally collude to block free agency, cut wages or otherwise do whatever they want on "core venture functions" of their cartels unfettered by regulations or lawsuits.

"Either way American Needle as a case goes, the incentive now is for the NFL to wait," said Justin C. Harmon, a sports-law expert at Florida's Northwood University . "If the NFL loses, it all reverts to the status quo. If the NFL wins, then it will be treated as a conglomerate of owners. A win means that the owners can justify their actions as long as they claim it's something vital to their business operations. They will be acting as one, without any antitrust scrutiny."

In the Steelers' locker room, players are thinking more about Sunday's tilt against the Dolphins than they are about litigation. But that's likely to change after the season.

"Right now, your mindset isn't on it," said Steelers' cornerback and union rep Deshea Townsend, who becomes a free agent in March. "But I'm sure when the season ends, for a lot of guys, February and March are going to be some trying times
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Default Re: Uncapped season is coming up fast for NFL

Uh-oh spaghetti O's! Pukes will spend like crazy.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One can look at a team like the Washington Foreskins and sau that they've been trying to buy a championship since Snyder took over and they've never come close. As far as I know, all of the good QB's are locked up, it won't matter much what Snyder does if that team is stuck with Campbell as their QB.

They conveniently left out Robert Kraft as well. there's another guy with a bunch of cash to throw around without a cap. Personally, I hope something is done. I don't want to see the NFL go the way of MLB AT ALL. I spend so much time *****ing about how MLB is run, the same thing happening to the NFL would help kill the sport unless you were a fan of larger market teams/owners.

**** like this is why having Dan Rooney have the clout he has is important. I know I mentioned it before when we were discussing the rooney rule crap... but having that clout in the league, respect goes a long way especially when battling the desperados like Jones and Snyder who would love nothing more than to see an uncapped league and would likely do what they could to not backdown from the amount of revenue spent on players (which I think is the big reason for the uncapped season, a band of owners want a larger percentage of revenue and the players want nothing to do with that)

sjdrewk

Foreskins are a good example of how spending doesn't necessarily lead to titles.....great point. But an Uncapped NFL will ruin the parody that Goodell and others cherish so much. They better come to some type of cap deal or else.

Threads : 10

I've read insights before that point this as a means to bend if not bust the players union.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One can look at a team like the Washington Foreskins and sau that they've been trying to buy a championship since Snyder took over and they've never come close. As far as I know, all of the good QB's are locked up, it won't matter much what Snyder does if that team is stuck with Campbell as their QB.

They conveniently left out Robert Kraft as well. there's another guy with a bunch of cash to throw around without a cap. Personally, I hope something is done. I don't want to see the NFL go the way of MLB AT ALL. I spend so much time *****ing about how MLB is run, the same thing happening to the NFL would help kill the sport unless you were a fan of larger market teams/owners.

**** like this is why having Dan Rooney have the clout he has is important. I know I mentioned it before when we were discussing the rooney rule crap... but having that clout in the league, respect goes a long way especially when battling the desperados like Jones and Snyder who would love nothing more than to see an uncapped league and would likely do what they could to not backdown from the amount of revenue spent on players (which I think is the big reason for the uncapped season, a band of owners want a larger percentage of revenue and the players want nothing to do with that)

If the Patriots or Cowboys finish in the bottom of the draft order 29-32 they won't be spending **** unless they lose a free agent. If they fall in the 28-25 range they will be capped as to what they can spend on free agency. There are no restrictions for teams 1-23 which the Redskins fall under, so look out.

4 year free agents next year now go from unrestricted to restricted so there is a penalty for teams that sign these guys.

I think with all the restrictions the players union will not want an uncapped year. I see a deal getting done before the start of free agency.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Dec-31-2009 at 03:59 PM.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information